ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I'm more concerned about how Tesla is getting paid for Tesla supercharger use by non-Teslas, because those of us buying Teslas have been the ones paying mostly for Supercharger roll outs so far. Tesla wouldn't be able to roll out these numbers of superchargers without their own organic success and sales, with the customers providing Tesla the amounts of cash on hand.

Even if the government has been attempting to subsidize some chargers for attempts at leverage or meddling control, I don't feel it's an excuse to open flood gates for companies (and customers) who haven Done The Work, and paid for what Tesla has built.

If Tesla gets paid fairly for non-Tesla brands to use their superchargers, in a way that growth of supercharger rollouts can be sustained without ever causing price increases on Tesla buyers, (and it actually becomes a money printing machine for Tesla) then I'm less concerned about it. But I want to see that this would be actually what is happening, with more than just narratives or murky clarity.

Put the shoe on the other foot for a second - Tesla has introduced the NACS standard. So why can't Ford build some superchargers and locations of their own with the NACS, and allow Tesla owners to charge there as well, along with Tesla allowing Fords to use theirs? So, unless Tesla is getting a worthwhile cash incentive for doing this, do you see how one-sided it appears to be?

I don't like mixing up hard-earned accomplishments with another company and business model that has a lot more fundamental leakage (that prevented them from doing more superchargers of their own in the first place). I know the impact of this is small right now considering the much less number of Fords compared to Teslas out there, but it's the precedent being set that concerns me.

Let's hope the inclusion is done fairly without effective 'leeching' of Tesla's supercharger build-out down the road, and more importantly, without the end effect of Tesla customers alone having to pay for other brands lack of money to build their own.

* As a minimum, I would hope to see Tesla itemize revenues from third party supercharger usage in Quarterly or Annual Earnings reports, starting sooner rather than later.

And it's definitely more common sense to put the charging port in the back of the vehicle, due to it inherently being much safer to back into a stall instead of backing out, plus it's much easier to leave the stall when done - a no-brainer. These companies haven't even had the sense to do that, so I'm scratching my head about trusting them to build their own superchargers or engage with Tesla fairly as third party users.

- ÆCIII

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Interesting how Farley was saying battery sizes need to go down and Charging speeds go up.

I think the major reason why fuel tanks have gotten larger over the years, was for the convenience of not having to drive to the gas station every couple of days. With EVs being able to plug in at home and start your day charged up, that's not an issue. On road trips, my Pacifica has 500 miles on a tankful. I still stop about every 3 hours, which works out to about 200 miles. The problem I see with EVs, is the time it takes to replace the energy used. 30 minutes is too long. That's why I'm excited about the Cybertruck having V3 megawatt charging like the semi.

Farley's comments lead me to believe Ford is working in that direction also.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Jim Farley and Elon Musk will be holding a Twitter Spaces conversation today at approximately 5:30 p.m. ET.

Listen to it live at: @jimfarley98

ANNOUNCEMENT:

FORD EV CUSTOMERS TO GAIN ACCESS TO 12,000 TESLA SUPERCHARGERS; COMPANY TO ADD NORTH AMERICAN CHARGING STANDARD PORT IN FUTURE EVS
MAY 25, 2023 | DEARBORN

• Starting early next year, Ford EV customers will have access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, in addition to the over 10,000 DC fast-chargers that are already part of the BlueOval Charge Network. This will give Ford EV customers unprecedented access to fast-charging
  • Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit customers will be able to access the Superchargers via an adapter and software integration along with activation and payment via FordPass or Ford Pro Intelligence
  • In 2025, Ford will offer next-generation electric vehicles with the North American Charging Standard (NACS) connector built-in, eliminating the need for an adapter to access Tesla Superchargers
  • The reliable Tesla Supercharger network has already established charging corridors across the U.S. and Canada
DEARBORN, Mich., May 25, 2023 – Ford Motor Company said today it reached an agreement with Tesla Motors that will provide Ford electric vehicle customers access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, doubling the number of fast-chargers available to Ford EV customers starting Spring 2024.

“This is great news for our customers who will have unprecedented access to the largest network of fast-chargers in the U.S. and Canada with 12,000+ Tesla Superchargers plus 10,000+ fast-chargers already in the BlueOval Charge Network,” said Jim Farley, Ford president and CEO. “Widespread access to fast-charging is absolutely vital to our growth as an EV brand, and this breakthrough agreement comes as we are ramping up production of our popular Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning, and preparing to launch a series of next-generation EVs starting in 2025.”

Added Rebecca Tinucci, Tesla’s senior director of charging infrastructure: “We’ve spent the last 10 years building an industry-leading Charging Network that enables freedom to travel and provides charging confidence for our Tesla owners. We’re excited to deliver on our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy by welcoming Ford owners, and other electric vehicles who adopt NACS, to our thousands of Superchargers across North America.”

A Tesla-developed adapter will provide Ford F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit vehicles fitted with the Combined Charging System (CCS) port access to Tesla’s V3 Superchargers. Ford will equip future EVs with the NACS charge port, removing the need for an adapter for direct access to Tesla Superchargers, starting in 2025.

“Tesla has led the industry in creating a large, reliable and efficient charging system and we are pleased to be able to join forces in a way that benefits customers and overall EV adoption,” said Marin Gjaja, chief customer officer, Ford Model e. “The Tesla Supercharger network has excellent reliability and the NACS plug is smaller and lighter. Overall, this provides a superior experience for customers.”

The BlueOval Charge Network is already North America’s largest public charging network with over 84,000 chargers including access to over 10,000 public DC fast-chargers. Adding more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers creates the single largest integrated fast-charge network across the U.S. and Canada, designed to significantly reduce charge anxiety for Ford customers, with automatic routing to the nearest charger and seamless billing via FordPass.

Additionally, Ford dealers are adding roughly 1,800 public-facing fast-chargers and locations to the BlueOval Charge Network by early 2024.

Ford_Tesla_Mustang Mach-E (1).jpg

Ford_Tesla_F-150 Lightning.jpeg
that's huge news ... and more revenue for Tesla.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Hopefully as part of the deal Ford agrees to put their charge port in the correct place!!
I thought the same thing when I heard Franz and Lars were there on the call. Elon was at design studio on the space. hahaha

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Jim Farley and Elon Musk will be holding a Twitter Spaces conversation today at approximately 5:30 p.m. ET.

Listen to it live at: @jimfarley98

ANNOUNCEMENT:

FORD EV CUSTOMERS TO GAIN ACCESS TO 12,000 TESLA SUPERCHARGERS; COMPANY TO ADD NORTH AMERICAN CHARGING STANDARD PORT IN FUTURE EVS
MAY 25, 2023 | DEARBORN

• Starting early next year, Ford EV customers will have access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, in addition to the over 10,000 DC fast-chargers that are already part of the BlueOval Charge Network. This will give Ford EV customers unprecedented access to fast-charging
  • Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit customers will be able to access the Superchargers via an adapter and software integration along with activation and payment via FordPass or Ford Pro Intelligence
  • In 2025, Ford will offer next-generation electric vehicles with the North American Charging Standard (NACS) connector built-in, eliminating the need for an adapter to access Tesla Superchargers
  • The reliable Tesla Supercharger network has already established charging corridors across the U.S. and Canada
DEARBORN, Mich., May 25, 2023 – Ford Motor Company said today it reached an agreement with Tesla Motors that will provide Ford electric vehicle customers access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, doubling the number of fast-chargers available to Ford EV customers starting Spring 2024.

“This is great news for our customers who will have unprecedented access to the largest network of fast-chargers in the U.S. and Canada with 12,000+ Tesla Superchargers plus 10,000+ fast-chargers already in the BlueOval Charge Network,” said Jim Farley, Ford president and CEO. “Widespread access to fast-charging is absolutely vital to our growth as an EV brand, and this breakthrough agreement comes as we are ramping up production of our popular Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning, and preparing to launch a series of next-generation EVs starting in 2025.”

Added Rebecca Tinucci, Tesla’s senior director of charging infrastructure: “We’ve spent the last 10 years building an industry-leading Charging Network that enables freedom to travel and provides charging confidence for our Tesla owners. We’re excited to deliver on our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy by welcoming Ford owners, and other electric vehicles who adopt NACS, to our thousands of Superchargers across North America.”

A Tesla-developed adapter will provide Ford F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit vehicles fitted with the Combined Charging System (CCS) port access to Tesla’s V3 Superchargers. Ford will equip future EVs with the NACS charge port, removing the need for an adapter for direct access to Tesla Superchargers, starting in 2025.

“Tesla has led the industry in creating a large, reliable and efficient charging system and we are pleased to be able to join forces in a way that benefits customers and overall EV adoption,” said Marin Gjaja, chief customer officer, Ford Model e. “The Tesla Supercharger network has excellent reliability and the NACS plug is smaller and lighter. Overall, this provides a superior experience for customers.”

The BlueOval Charge Network is already North America’s largest public charging network with over 84,000 chargers including access to over 10,000 public DC fast-chargers. Adding more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers creates the single largest integrated fast-charge network across the U.S. and Canada, designed to significantly reduce charge anxiety for Ford customers, with automatic routing to the nearest charger and seamless billing via FordPass.

Additionally, Ford dealers are adding roughly 1,800 public-facing fast-chargers and locations to the BlueOval Charge Network by early 2024.

Ford_Tesla_Mustang Mach-E (1).jpg

Ford_Tesla_F-150 Lightning.jpeg
I'd be miffed if I had an earlier Ford

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm more concerned about how Tesla is getting paid for Tesla supercharger use by non-Teslas, because those of us buying Teslas have been the ones paying mostly for Supercharger roll outs so far. Tesla wouldn't be able to roll out these numbers of superchargers without their own organic success and sales, with the customers providing Tesla the amounts of cash on hand.
Tesla is installing 1 new Supercharger every 12 hours right now. That rate is accelerating.

Hard to say what the structure of the Ford deal looks like, but Ford customers will be paying through the Ford app so a lot of this is going to happen behind the scenes.

Musk is pretty good at making money on everything coming and going so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Jstoltz54

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't know enough about it but will the charging speeds be similar to a Tesla vehicle? Any faster or slower?
charging speeds are dependent on both vehicle and charger capabilities. need an expert to explain or watch some YT’s at Out Of Spec Reviews.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Tesla is installing 1 new Supercharger every 12 hours right now. That rate is accelerating.
Below is from today and yesterday.
https://supercharge.info/about
Tesla Cybertruck Ford EV will gain access to Tesla Superchargers and come with standard NACS ports starting 2025! 2LhM9e6

Tesla Cybertruck Ford EV will gain access to Tesla Superchargers and come with standard NACS ports starting 2025! utxHNTy

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Put the shoe on the other foot for a second
only half serious here, but, if we’re counting these sorts of indirect points in who “paid” to fund the build out supercharger networks, we’ve all got some credits coming

Tesla Cybertruck Ford EV will gain access to Tesla Superchargers and come with standard NACS ports starting 2025! E5C9DCEB-9973-4550-BFAC-DFFE6DC0DDA0

Tesla Cybertruck Ford EV will gain access to Tesla Superchargers and come with standard NACS ports starting 2025! A8EA65E1-2C3C-4987-A5BC-E91DFFF17C67

Anyways, Musk doesn’t think the charging network is the reason for Tesla’s success or a moat:.

“our supercharger network is not intended to be a walled garden, It’s intended to be available to other manufacturers if they’d like to use it. The only requirements are that the cars must be able to take the power output of our Superchargers, and then just pay whatever their proportion of their usage is of the system. We’re actually in talks with some manufacturers about doing just that, and it will be exciting to share that news.” - April 2022

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
As a telsa owner I'm not thrilled about sharing stalls. Also, this is purely anecdotal, but Tesla owners have been super friendly while non-Tesla EV owners have contained a lot of jerks in my limited experience.

That said, for consumer options, it's a good thing. I wouldn't consider another EV option right now just because of the charge network. This creates options.
Sponsored