Ninja6r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, nissan leaf
Occupation
pass
Country flag
This is crazy. I never thought I'd see the day. I honestly thought Tesla would be forced to move to CCS by the government a couple of years down the road. I'm super excited to see that the better connector is possibly going to win out. Hopefully the domino effect starts with all the other manufacturers.
Sponsored

ninja6r

First Name
Ninja6r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, nissan leaf
Occupation
pass
Country flag
I worry about this too. We need to see exponential growth of superchargers.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I think some good points are being made by @Ogre, @cvalue13, and others.

If Tesla does indeed openly itemize their Supercharging Revenue from services to non-Tesla cars, I'll have a better context and likely feel more comfortable about it. It may even accelerate future rollout and solidify more common standards (like NACS and CCS) if done wisely.

But, we're still in the early beginnings of mainstream supercharger use by the wider public, so the precedents set need to be watched closely in my opinion. I don't want to be paying for other brands getting a supercharger infrastructure network for free out of revenue from my purchasing a Tesla, especially if it might cause increased waiting time at a supercharger location too.

One of the main reasons I bought a Tesla was to stop giving money to those ICE brands while they hemorrhage that money to outside entities with a leaky business model. So I'm very concerned if any of them possibly get benefits or a free pass from Tesla if it's at the Tesla buyers expense, so let's hope it's not. Again if Tesla is treating it as a wise business opportunity and does itemize their non-Tesla supercharger revenue to assure third party usage is being paid for separately, then I have no problem with it.

I think mandatory requirements for Tesla supercharger access by other brands should be:

1. No Mandatory Dealer Networks to customers - Allow Direct Sales​
2. Allow Tesla Supercharger Access Only in States that Allow Tesla Complete Free Market Access​
3. No establishment MSM Television Network Advertising​
4. No PHEV Hybrid Vehicles Allowed (even if they happen to have a NACS port) - BEVs Only​
(I know that's a lot less likely anyway, just sayin')​

But that's just me ...

- ÆCIII

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If Tesla does indeed openly itemize their Supercharging Revenue from services to non-Tesla cars, I'll have a better context and likely feel more comfortable about it. It may even accelerate future rollout and solidify more common standards (like NACS and CCS) if done wisely.
From what I understand, much of the transaction will be gated within the Ford app, I suspect Ford will have some monthly membership they push to their customers and it won’t be clear to anyone other than Ford and Tesla management if/ how much of that gets passed through to Tesla.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Yes people, bow down to the obvious superiority of the Tesla. They all wish they'd built up a charging network. They wish they'd seen the writing on the wall, but had their head in the sand. Now they're late to the party, and a friend in need is a...well, you know.
It's nice to see the first of the big three kowtowing to Tesla. More will follow. This is what Elon's motive has always been: accelerating the transition to a greener future, and away from oil.
Score:
Tesla 1
Ford 0
Things are just getting started!
Yay Tesla.

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Nice little cross promotion here from Ford.

As trilled as I am about the news, I can’t help looking at the length of that cable and think how Tesla owners will be looking at my Lightning when I go over the curb to make it work. If this works, even with 20% higher energy cost, I may skip CT and hold on to my Lightning. There are so many previously out of reach places could now be a destination.

I don’t think Tesla owners need to worry about this. Elon knows what he is doing. He no longer have monopoly on EV market but he still can own the charging network everyone will depend on. Imagine after 10 years when EA and others are out of business and every EV on the road is plugged into superchargers on the road, he could raise the energy cost by 200% over night for non Tesla owners, which leads to increase in Tesla sales as well as charging revenue at the same time while killing the competition. Dude is no fool. GOD knows what other revenue making deals are being made behind the scene. The other day, I messed with electrical system on my Lightning that led to a message on display along the line; “your truck is about to explode, see a Ford dealer immediately“. Thankfully it did not explode and I didn’t have to take it in but what was interesting was that seconds after I saw the message on display, I got a marketing email from a third party company I never did business with, saying that now that you are servicing your truck, how about buying this?

We are all like cattle clueless about how we are bought and sold.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
I’m completely flabbergasted that anyone in here would have a problem with this.
Is Teslas company line “to accelerate the worlds transition to sustainable energy?”

if so, this is a big part of it.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As trilled as I am about the news, I can’t help looking at the length of that cable and think how Tesla owners will be looking at my Lightning when I go over the curb to make it work. If this works, even with 20% higher energy cost, I may skip CT and hold on to my Lightning. There are so many previously out of reach places could now be a destination.
I don’t think people will care a ton about pulling over the curb so long as you don’t take 2 stalls at a busy site.

Just be as courteous as possible. There is usually 1 stall which has more flexible parking. Use that one and don’t block a second stall unless there are at least a couple other empty spaces. If there is a spot with a more flexible space and someone is using it maybe ask them to move to a single stall space.

I complain about this a good bit, but so long as you are trying to be accommodating I wouldn’t complain unless you were deliberately being a jerk.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Ford media says Tesla v3 ... meaning not v2.
"A Tesla-developed adapter will provide Ford F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit vehicles fitted with the Combined Charging System (CCS) port access to Tesla’s V3 Superchargers. "​
Sponsored