First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Model 3 (2), Model X
Country flag
Why?

They can't apply basically anything but their design to the new vehicles. They need new battery factories, new factory lines, pretty much nothing they have applies to these new things.

All new models bleed at first. That's because they're not being sold yet.

Their company isn't bleeding, as a whole, it's just these new vehicles aren't paying off yet. Which is duh, they're only selling a few tens of thousands.

...Okay, so, Tesla currently is making barely enough chargers for their own cars to use.

Tesla can only ramp so quickly. More companies means more ramping.

We have 1.7 million EVs on the road in the US. And we need to replace the other 283 million cars with EVs. We're going to need alot more chargers.

-Crissa
The bolded part above is simply not true. Drive to any Supercharger location near you and you will see many open Supercharger stalls even on weekends. This is true up and down the state. If you watch some of the Youtuber Tesla Road Trip VLOGS they literally never encounter a full Supercharger location anywhere in the US. In over 2 years of Supercharging I only encountered one full Supercharger location and once on a very warm day in Santa Cruz (Whole Foods parking lot) there were open Supercharger stalls but the site was power limited due to grid power issues. I simply drove the 5 miles to the Scotts Valley location with many stalls and full power available.

If anything, Tesla has overbuilt the Supercharger Network based upon Tesla only use. Of course you are correct that a huge increase in charging locations will be needed and Tesla simply can't do it alone. Other Energy companies will get into EV Charging business and those companies will need to create energy capture and storage facilities as the current grid and infrastructure is inadequate.

Just like in manufacturing the vehicles, Tesla has set a very high bar for EV charging. Others might get better at it than the current crop of CCS Chargers but catching up to Tesla will likely involve copying or partnering. Tesla is better at all aspects of BEV building and operation and it's their market to lose.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The bolded part above is simply not true. Drive to any Supercharger location near you and you will see many open Supercharger stalls even on weekends.
This is not how you measure demand for charging infrastructure.

It needs to handle the peak hour it encounters ever, not just when traffic is heavy. So like, when there's an event or evacuation. And then it also needs enough that if some are down - they can still handle it. And they need to be easy enough to use that they encourage customers to rave about them.

It's not enough to say 'hey, it fills up on weekends'. It needs to basically never fill up. What if some stalls fail? What if the next charger station down the road doesn't have power? What if there's an evacuation on this route?

Sure, if you have ten cars a day and they each use an hour you're like, well, there's twenty-four hours in a day, so a single charger will do. No, because those cars are going to overlap. Those ten cars are probably going to arrive at the same hour, and then you need at least ten stalls for them.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag

It needs to handle the peak hour it encounters ever, not just when traffic is heavy. So like, when there's an event or evacuation. And then it also needs enough that if some are down - they can still handle it. And they need to be easy enough to use that they encourage customers to rave about them.

It's not enough to say 'hey, it fills up on weekends'. It needs to basically never fill up. What if some stalls fail? What if the next charger station down the road doesn't have power? What if there's an evacuation on this route?

Sure, if you have ten cars a day and they each use an hour you're like, well, there's twenty-four hours in a day, so a single charger will do. No, because those cars are going to overlap. Those ten cars are probably going to arrive at the same hour, and then you need at least ten stalls for them.

-Crissa
You can always have emergency mobile charging stations like this (just kidding). I thought of you and your zero when I saw this guy DC fast charging his bike:

Tesla Cybertruck Ford is serious - 2025 T3 next gen TN BlueOval build/battery/recycle 1690596257410

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
The bolded part above is simply not true. Drive to any Supercharger location near you and you will see many open Supercharger stalls even on weekends. This is true up and down the state. If you watch some of the Youtuber Tesla Road Trip VLOGS they literally never encounter a full Supercharger location anywhere in the US. In over 2 years of Supercharging I only encountered one full Supercharger location and once on a very warm day in Santa Cruz (Whole Foods parking lot) there were open Supercharger stalls but the site was power limited due to grid power issues. I simply drove the 5 miles to the Scotts Valley location with many stalls and full power available.

If anything, Tesla has overbuilt the Supercharger Network based upon Tesla only use. Of course you are correct that a huge increase in charging locations will be needed and Tesla simply can't do it alone. Other Energy companies will get into EV Charging business and those companies will need to create energy capture and storage facilities as the current grid and infrastructure is inadequate.

Just like in manufacturing the vehicles, Tesla has set a very high bar for EV charging. Others might get better at it than the current crop of CCS Chargers but catching up to Tesla will likely involve copying or partnering. Tesla is better at all aspects of BEV building and operation and it's their market to lose.
Definitely agree with the last part. There needs to be options that are also reliable like SC.

I don't have any experience with seeing them within the bigger cities and how busy they are, but on our last trip up to northern CA we had to do lots of extra waiting for my in-laws at the SC. Completely full with people waiting at all 3 we stopped at with them. Not sure if it's just a holiday thing, but more is definitely not a bad thing

Last edited:

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

-Crissa
Not sure what your point is but Tesla currently has all the tools needed to "measure demand and planning for growing the charging infrastructure" to meet that demand. My point is there are plenty of charging options now and although it's possible to imagine edge cases, it has been working perfectly for me. It takes driving and charging a Tesla for a few years to understand how well designed their Supercharger network is today. I know it will be even better in the future.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Definitely agree with the last part. There needs to be options that are also reliable like SC.

I don't have any experience with seeing them within the bigger cities and how busy they are, but on our last trip up to northern CA we had to do lots of extra waiting for my in-laws at the SC. Completely full with people waiting at all 3 we stopped at with them. Not sure if it's just a holiday thing, but more is definitely not a bad thing
Ever been to a Costco gas station on the weekends? Or at 5pm on a weekday? How about a 20+ minute wait to get gas. So as Gus says, “location, location, location.”

Near where I live, there is a 10 stall SC station that is often full or nearly full. At the same time (and a lower cost) there is an outlet mall less than 5 miles away with 50 stalls and they are never close to full. Go 10 miles away to another mall, and it is most often 90%, but it’s about a dozen stalls. It appears to me that it is more about the location and number of stalls at each location, and not as much about SC density for a given area. And I am aware in some remote areas, the SCs are few and far between. That ain’t what I’m talking about.

OP
OP
scottf200

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Title:
Ford is serious - 2025 T3 next gen TN BlueOval build/battery/recycle

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

You need to send this youtube link to your in-laws. There are many other Youtubers EV Dave, Kyle Conners Out of Spec Motoring that provide a ton of information on how to best road trip and charge in any EV. Understanding how the Tesla car and Supercharger network work together is very important. I'm guessing most Tesla owners don't use the full functionality available and end up having a less than optimal charging experiences.
Sponsored