Is FSD in CT really worth it if you enjoy driving?

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
I have been contemplating on whether FSD for Cyberbeast is really worth it. On one hand, there is this incredible machine that wants to be driven, but on the other hand, FSD wants to reduce the burden of driving. I have never owned a Tesla before. In general, I like the experience of driving, so I don't mind not having FSD option at all.

What's your experience? Probably it might help in stop and go traffic or long roadtrips? Do you really think it's worth it if you enjoy driving?
Sponsored

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I enjoy driving my Model 3, with the design and engineering of the steering and suspension, also benefiting from the ride and handling inherent with lower CG. For me it is actually a joy to drive because of these strengths combined with the regen feature. I've noticed this provides more responsive control slowing down when approaching curves or intersections, without the latency of taking right foot off the accelerator, and then having to press the brake. I think this actually reduces stress of driving a little (as well as reducing brake pad wear). One thing I like about Teslas is they're engineered for optimal manual driving, even without considering FSD.

That said, often I love using EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) and FSD (Full Self Driving) even in it's current Ăźeta development stage. Being able to let the car 'take over' while I sip a drink bottle, or being able to just rest my hands on the steering wheel spokes and let the car do the 'driving' does take a lot of stress out of driving on road trips when traffic is not full of crazy drivers nearby. Recent versions have let me do that with hardly any nagging.

FSD isn't perfect all the time, but it's been getting steadily better. I've noticed one recent improvement in FSD behavior when passing a truck or large vehicle, where it will track a little off center toward the other side of passing lane giving more room around vehicles being passed (if shoulder conditions are clear without barriers or obstructions). In previous versions when passing it would stay in the center of the lane like a robot no matter how much room was on the outside, so that was very unnerving at times.

FSD seems to be getting better at accelerating away from, and braking into intersections, very much like human drivers do and not robotic or jerky like first year versions. I'm looking forward to receiving the V12 update.

But FSD was much cheaper buying it in 2018, than today. I know what it does for me so I'll be getting it in my CT. For those unsure, I'd recommend seeing if they'll offer it via subscription for evaluation, and then possibly purchase it outright later if one wants it. That way you can try it out for a month or two and get to know it. Renting a Tesla with FSD, or checking out a friends Tesla with FSD, are other ways to learn more. I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone to check out the numerous YT channels also, which continually show progression of FSD.

I think one good thing is if you decide not to get FSD at purchase, you can still decide to purchase and activate FSD later, because all the cameras and hardware are included in every Cybertruck. Of course if one waits until much later the price of FSD will likely go up. I don't think we've ever seen any decreases in price for FSD, only increases. But that still may be an easier option for some.

- ÆCIII

Last edited:
OP
OP

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I enjoy driving my Model 3, with the design and engineering of the steering and suspension, also benefiting from the ride and handling inherent with lower CG. For me it is actually a joy to drive because of these strengths combined with the regen feature. I've noticed this provides more responsive control slowing down when approaching curves or intersections, without the latency of taking right foot off the accelerator, and then having to press the brake. I think this actually reduces stress of driving a little (as well as reducing brake pad wear). One thing I like about Teslas is they're engineered for optimal manual driving, even without considering FSD.

That said, often I love using EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) and FSD (Full Self Driving) even in it's current Ăźeta development stage. Being able to let the car 'take over' while I sip a drink, or being able to just rest my hands on the steering wheel spokes and let the car do the 'driving' does take a lot of stress out of driving on road trips when traffic is not full of crazy drivers nearby. Recent versions have let me do that with hardly any nagging.

FSD isn't perfect all the time, but it's been getting steadily better. I've noticed one recent improvement in FSD behavior when passing a truck or large vehicle, where it will track a little off center toward the other side of passing lane giving more room around vehicles being passed (if shoulder conditions are clear without barriers or obstructions). In previous versions when passing it would stay in the center of the lane like a robot no matter how much room was on the outside, so that was very unnerving at times.

FSD seems to be getting better at accelerating away from, and braking into intersections, very much like human drivers do and not robotic or jerky like first year versions. I'm looking forward to receiving the V12 update.

But FSD was much cheaper buying it in 2018, than today. I know what it does for me so I'll be getting it in my CT. For those unsure, I'd recommend seeing if they'll offer it via subscription for evaluation, and then possibly purchase it outright later if one wants it. That way you can try it out for a month or two and get to know it. Renting a Tesla with FSD, or checking out a friends Tesla with FSD, are other ways to learn more. I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone to check out the numerous YT channels also, which continually show progression of FSD.

I think one good thing is if you decide not to get FSD at purchase, you can still decide to purchase and activate FSD later, because all the cameras and hardware are included in every Cybertruck. Of course if one waits until much later the price of FSD will likely go up. I don't think we've ever seen any decreases in price for FSD, only increases. But that still may be an easier option for some.

- ÆCIII
Great! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It’s these type of details that I was looking for. Appreciate it my friend.

84Apollo3

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
It depends on your attitude or expectations but for me it’s invaluable. I will not do another road trip without it and I love using it around town, especially to and from work or in traffic. I only drive when I want to. Otherwise, it is very relaxing to let the car take me to and from.

Texarado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
’24 CT AWD FS; ’18 Model 3 AWD
Country flag
There’s a lot of bad things said about FSD. Much of it I am convinced is from Detroit. Look, it’s not perfect. The cars are very fun to drive. However, there is literally nobody that is remotely close to the technology that Tesla has. That FSD package truly is amazing. I use it regularly in my model three. I use it enough that it’s hard to place a value on it. Am I overpaying with foundation series? Possibly. Is it worth the $7000 for those who locked in early? Unquestionably worth it. That said , you have to develop a trust with the car. You can’t use it blindly. You have to understand the use cases and corner cases where it may not function perfectly. What I’ve noticed is those examples where it ends up in the news is when people don’t know what they’re doing. It’s like using cruise control on the road. Even with adaptive cruise control, you need to pay attention to what is in front of you. If it doesn’t work as intended, your certainly going to run up into the car in front of you. Same deal with FSD.

I’m not sure this will help you with your decision. But additional food for thought.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I have been contemplating on whether FSD for Cyberbeast is really worth it. On one hand, there is this incredible machine that wants to be driven, but on the other hand, FSD wants to reduce the burden of driving. I have never owned a Tesla before. In general, I like the experience of driving, so I don't mind not having FSD option at all.

What's your experience? Probably it might help in stop and go traffic or long roadtrips? Do you really think it's worth it if you enjoy driving?
I love my FSD, you couldn't rip it from my wife's hands.

We've got a mountain up above us, it's the same road as the Tail of the Dragon, but in Georgia. It's a fun section of road to drive. So when I want to drive it, I do. Last time I didn't the car did it and did a really great job of it.

There have been numerous times that I've let FSD drive the my entire route. It's not perfect, if it was, it wouldn't be a beta product.

It was not an option if I was going to get it or not, it was a given.

BUT, it takes time to get used to it. Like the disclaimer says, it WILL do the worse thing at the worse time. But FSF and I have grown up together, so I'm pretty good at knowing when will and won't give an issue.

While it been doing it for a few months now, it does an awesome job of passing vehicles stopped on the side of the road, like postal vehicles. That's not the easiest thing to do.

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
I don't find FSD relaxing at all. I have had a couple of "exciting" events where I took over control of the vehicle. Since I am alert to what the FSD might do, I am sure I drive safer with it on. When we are on a long trip without FSD engaged, I get lazy and don't believe drive as safely. It has improved a lot over the 2 years I've had it. I do tend to get upset, or at least annoyed, when it does something stupid. I tend to use FSD on the city streets more than the freeway. Something Tesla needs to improve is to allow you to take a "preferred" route. Sometimes the navigation is not the way I want to go. I take it off FSD and go the way I want to go.

I could swear FSD was standard on the CT when I placed my original CT order on 11/21/19, but others disagree.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag

i enjoy driving and i do NOT enjoy FSD i would never buy it if i had an option ... unfortunately i am forced to buy it in the Foundation Series ... the take rate is pretty bad with FSD unless you are forced to take it.

OP
OP

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It depends on your attitude or expectations but for me it’s invaluable. I will not do another road trip without it and I love using it around town, especially to and from work or in traffic. I only drive when I want to. Otherwise, it is very relaxing to let the car take me to and from.
I'm glad you are enjoying it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

OP
OP

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I enjoy driving, but I drive about 25,000 miles a year. FSD is definitely a great addition to break up the daily commute.
Good point to consider the number of miles we travel per year. My travel might significantly increase in next couple of years. This is the main reason I'm considering to switch to an EV.

OP
OP

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. As some of you said, I'll try FSD in my friend's Tesla and see whether I like it.

SEER

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, ZR-2, K3500 dually, Cybertruck
Country flag
FSD will need to offer a subscription model.
Seems like the FS $premium is simply getting $7k FSD orders to pay $15k .

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I’ve read through the comments and like others I love to drive, but I also take cross-country road trips over landscapes that may be unbroken of interesting features or driving for hundreds of miles. Navigate on Autopilot in those situations is a godsend. It works pretty well, reduces fatigue and stress, takes you to SCs at the right time, preheats the battery for optimal charging rate, and even allows for some sight seeing (say of distant mountains). There are other considerations if you are a bit older. Eventually FSD will be good and we live in a society that is challenging for elderly mobility. Having a car that will be able to take me places without asking others for help is worth the dollars now.
Sponsored