Is it ridiculous to think the CT may get Mega charger access and capabilities?

Green-Mario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
As the thread title says, what are peoples thoughts on a surprise CT getting access to the Megawatt charger network being built out for Semi? It would completely change the towing game for EVs rather quickly, not to mention plenty of room to pull in with trailer attached. There were some hints at some SC/MC surprises potentially in store from the 2022 shareholder meeting. What if?
Sponsored

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I was saying the same thing a few months ago when everyone was freaking out about no pull through chargers for trailering. Only logical, especially if the rumor that both semi and CT will share 800v architecture is true. Tesla has a plan already. We just don't know it yet. They don't design and roll out these products without planning for appropriate charging infrastructure otherwise these new vehicles will be handicapped. And your brand spanking new products don't sell like hot cakes when the interstate charging infrastructure can't handle these use cases for these two specific vehicles.

But at the same time, I doubt there will be semis and ct's sharing the same physical chargers. I believe it will be like existing truck stops and rest stops on major highways where there are separate chargers devoted to commercial trucking as you can't have passenger vehicles hogging commercial chargers otherwise truckers will never get their jobs done on time.

The counter point is that level 4 chargers would be more than enough for CT charging and all they need to do it reconfigure at time of install to make a couple pull through.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Ironically, right after I posted this, I drove by the most ridiculous sight "semi" related to the topic.

A semi/pickup truck pulling into a tiny gas station on a narrow street in the middle of NYC. I lol'd at that and was also in shock these things exist. It's like taking the absurd truck lifting trend to the extreme! Especially in NYC completely unnecessary and actually obnoxious regarding the space it occupies in an already congested city.

I was driving so I didn't get an actual photo but it was essentially a red version of this:

Tesla Cybertruck Is it ridiculous to think the CT may get Mega charger access and capabilities? 1280px-International_CXT_Commercial_Extreme_Truck_1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_XT

Makes me feel less guilty getting a CT at its size in this city.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Well, most of the megachargers are private locations so far, so... I don't know how that'd work out.

-Crissa
I'm assuming they will naturally start to roll out public mega charger locations at truck stops for commercial trucking to enable longer than single charge commercial hauls.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Posted another thread with some new shots of a truck friendly supercharger in Santa Nella.

I seriously doubt the Cybertruck and semi will overlap

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It will get sorted out

Right now, there's a 50-metre lineup at Costco.

There will be exceptions, but the wild west was well over 100 years ago.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Not a chance, different type of plug.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I think you are onto something.
1st post guys, glad to be here.
Welcome!

First rule, don't say anything nasty about Elon Musk. Even if true -- you know about his paying off a flight attendant to have sex. Or, joining this political party. Or that he is #ApartheidElon because of the racist working environment at Tesla...

Never ever never.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Bigger question is the other way. Will semis be able to charge at a supercharger in a pinch.

That would be a bit of a mess though.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
Welcome!

First rule, don't say anything nasty about Elon Musk. Even if true -- you know about his paying off a flight attendant to have sex. Or, joining this political party. Or that he is #ApartheidElon because of the racist working environment at Tesla...

Never ever never.
Fair.
But how many dicks do you eat a day.
Be honest.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Well apparently the Semi Megachargers are going to be rated for 1500kW, which will exceed the charge rate of even the improved 4680 cells in the largest 200kWh CT pack by about 2-4 times. Megachargers, because of the space required for semi's to park, will not be as common at all as the Superchargers for the CT. As such I am 95% confident we won't see a CT capable of charging at a Semi Megacharger, unless both CT and Semi use the same plug and rating for doing so. But there's no real loss with that anyway, as the 350kW Supercargers already have to taper with a 200kWh pack, meaning it wouldn't be much faster anyway, and even if maybe just a couple of minutes.
Sponsored