TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I will literally cancel my order if there are no external door knobs. No external door knobs combined with bullet proof exterior = extremely unsafe if I get in an accident and go unconscious - no one will be able to get me out!
i don’t think first responders typically use guns to free crash victims.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I will literally cancel my order if there are no external door knobs.
Door knobs? I have yet to see a car that had external door knobs. I remember as a kid there were some cars that internally had a handle you could pull up (kinda like a door knob) to open the door. But I don't think I've ever seen a knob or even a rotating handle on the exterior of a car before. I do remember some horse and buggy setups that had rotating latches on the exterior of the door though.

Seems like a strange hill to die on.

Or were you talking about these?
Tesla Cybertruck Latest From Musk: Production Cybertruck almost exactly same but better. No door handles. 4 wheel steering. Self opening doors. Door_lock_knob

But since these are only for use inside the car it would seem pointless to have them outside.

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
Truck gets lonely parked on street all day, sees me approaching from across the street and in it's excitement forgets to look both ways before popping the doors open to welcome me back. Just as a taxi careens down the street and gets clotheslined by the CT.
Don’t you think Elon has thought of all these aspects and thousands more we can not fathom. Let’s let him design the vehicle, this site has become a wish list. For anyone that is concerned about the size of the Cybertruck the glass roof the SS getting hot in summer. If these are real concerns pull your little 100.00 deposit and buy something else. I’m for whatever he comes up with like all of the other first class vehicles he has come up with.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Don’t you think Elon has thought of all these aspects and thousands more we can not fathom. Let’s let him design the vehicle, this site has become a wish list. For anyone that is concerned about the size of the Cybertruck the glass roof the SS getting hot in summer. If these are real concerns pull your little 100.00 deposit and buy something else. I’m for whatever he comes up with like all of the other first class vehicles he has come up with.
Setting aside the fact that the post you replied to was pure tongue in cheek.

I really get tired of this line of thought.

No Musk has not thought of every possibility. Tesla screws up sometimes. Lots of people had to wait multiple weeks for repairs when the the door handles on the early Model S started failing. People dealt with leaking when the doors on the Model X leaked.

It’s perfectly ok to be concerned that there might be issues with another fairly out there door option.

While some people have suggested they won’t buy the truck unless it has handles most of us just want as trouble free an experience as we can get.

Suggesting people should pull their reservations because they are concerned about something is outright rude. This is the sort of slavish nonsense that gives this community a bad name.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I don’t know what all Elon and team have though of. But I know that every vehicle I’ve owned had multiple things about it that I found to be poorly designed or at least not designed for my exact use case.

I’m sure there will still be some of these items on my CT when I get it. I’m not expecting a fully customized vehicle designed specifically for me. But from what I’ve seen already, I’m pretty sure it’s going to be much better than any other vehicle I’ve ever owned in the past. That’s good enough for me to keep the faith and hope for my CT to arrive soon.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
No i will not pull my reservation.

Yes i want my doors to automatically open. Tongue in cheek as was said.. Although I'm dead serious about wanting the doors to pop open in self defense to middle fingers :)

I accept my truck with open arms.

ZipSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW K1600 GTL
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Well, there's our confirmation on what exactly no handles means. I assume there's still a manual way to open the door because the last thing I need is my CT not opening because I shaved my beard or skipped the contacts and stayed in glasses that day.
Elon has out-thunk naysayers all the way to docking with ISS to keep humans alive, while working towards keep human race alive. He is not remiss of the transient variable of forgetting to shave or losing your phone. Trust you will embark/debark your whip with ease to 5 99999's

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Truck gets lonely parked on street all day, sees me approaching from across the street and in it's excitement forgets to look both ways before popping the doors open to welcome me back. Just as a taxi careens down the street and gets clotheslined by the CT.
Except these are "smart doors". Remember, it's a Tesla. It knows to look both ways first and sends out the duly authorized crossing guard, bells and whistles and all. What's to worry? And when in doubt, simply summon your Tesla, which should have been parked in your garage anyway, in order to avoid this entire scenario! If not at home, use the handy dandy Tesla Mobile Garage (optional of course, but does come with the gratuitous spare tire). Only available in the single car (CT) size.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Elon has out-thunk naysayers all the way to docking with ISS to keep humans alive, while working towards keep human race alive. He is not remiss of the transient variable of forgetting to shave or losing your phone. Trust you will embark/debark your whip with ease to 5 99999's
I bet those astronauts door are manually opened. Wonder why that is.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You were correct both times. That was my dads 56 Bel Air, and the photo was taken around 1959. The other interesting fact is that the photo was taken in Pacific Beach, and the buildings in the background are the Brown Military Academy, which was closed down in 1958. That location is near Garnet and Lamont, where they built the Pacific Beach Shopping Center in the 60s.
My older brother had a 56 BelAir-4 door-no center pillar-original interior w/ac-original paint. He sold it around 2000 for MAYBE $6,000 at that time. I could kick myself for not buying it. California plates were "56Cheby"

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Based on many replies to the door handles looks like I will be moving up on the delivery date, :)
That works for me. Let's get earlier delivery dates. The others will just get super jealous when they see the CT in person and end up ordering again. For a much later delivery date. Probably for a higher price. People make crazy decisions over $100.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
<status humor=enabled>

Just announced. The new CT design. Has all the features everyone has been asking for. Including boat mode.

</status>

CyberCorey

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Dual #269xxx
Country flag
I'd pay for normal door handles.

This is a neat feature, but if I get in an accident, I'd like people to be able to extract me from the car.

Four wheel steering is an awesome unexpected bonus, but the handles... not a fan.
This seems to be an especially valid concern, especially given the high strength glass.
Sponsored