Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Tech Business Owner
Country flag
If that screen dies, does the CT brick? How often do T owners on this site have to reboot their screens?
Not very often, but when something seems like a glitch, you reboot and it always resolves my issues. In 14 months, I think I had to force a reboot only two times.
Sponsored

Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
People still defending stalks in 2023 is insane.
Reaching behind the wheel to put a stalk up to indicate you want to turn right is not good user Interface design.
And no reasonable person would think it was.
Measure the reaction time of a stalk, vs a button or switch at your thumb, and the stalk loses every time. It is slower, more expensive, easier to break and less functional.
That's why motorcycles don't have stalks. They have switches so you don't have to move your hands. Anyone who has ever ridden a motorcycle immediately recognises it is better.
The only possible reason someone would prefer stalks, is if they are used to them and don't want to consider new mechanisms out of stubbornness.
And I don't give a rats ass what those people want or prefer.
Catering to Luddites will only deliver Luddite results.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Reaching behind the wheel to put a stalk up to indicate you want to turn right is not good user Interface design.
Measure the reaction time of a stalk, vs a button or switch at your thumb, and the stalk loses every time. It is slower, more expensive, easier to break and less functional.
That's why motorcycles don't have stalks. They have switches so you don't have to move your hands. Anyone who has ever ridden a motorcycle immediately recognises it is better.
The only possible reason someone would prefer stalks, is if they are used to them and don't want to consider new mechanisms out of stubbornness.
On one hand, I like this reply!

On the other hand, I’m not sure why!

Is “reaction time” relevant to turn indication? (Admittedly, some people appear to treat it as a last-second operation, but that’s poor driving.)

Has anyone ever broken a stalk? I’ve broken a lot of vehicle parts, but a stalk?

Where would a stalk go on a motorcycle, even if someone wanted to? Replace the clutch/break lever?

In any event, as an aspiring non-Luddite (un-Luddite?), how long do you reckon it will take me to un-learn 30 years of muscle memory in my left hand, flicking out from the wheel to tap the stalk up/down?

Not to blame the UI, just embarrassing to think I could be flicking air for months before breaking the habit

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
There doesn’t seem to be any obvious place for PRND buttons in these Cybertruck images. When towing especially you won’t want to be constantly looking at the screen to see which mode you’re in, or fiddling with a touch screen.
That makes no sense to say when you're towing you need to know what gear you're in. No matter what you are doing, you need to know whether you're in Forward, Reverse or Park. You don't have to be towing to need to know that. But in either case, the gear is clearly dispayed if you're confused which one you're in. I don't understand your objection to looking at the screen to see what gear you're in. It seems like a fake objection.

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
Ok. So you have a very specific request that no Tesla will likely deliver in the future. I have some as well as debated in another thread. But saying not having stalks is worse for most, is a poor generalization. Tesla took feedback from the S/X and made the new 3 stalkless, but made the yoke an option.

It's a quality of life improvement akin to phone as a key, IMO. And there are some out there that are adamant it's a worse option. They want fobs or keys and that's fine. We all have desires or demands from what we are going to pay for.
Wanting a physical way to switch direction is a ‘very specific request’? Unlike every other car that has ever existed? Even the Model 3?

The key fob is quite a different matter as there are benefits to not carrying an extra key around, and just walking to the car and driving off (though 1/10 that doesn’t work). Plus you can buy the fob separately.

So what is the benefit to me of removing a physical control?

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
That makes no sense to say when you're towing you need to know what gear you're in. No matter what you are doing, you need to know whether you're in Forward, Reverse or Park. You don't have to be towing to need to know that. But in either case, the gear is clearly dispayed if you're confused which one you're in. I don't understand your objection to looking at the screen to see what gear you're in. It seems like a fake objection.
Yes you always need to know. It’s just particularly an issue in towing as that’s a scenario when you will be frequently moving back and forth. Having to guess what some AI is imagining you want to do then is just asking for trouble. And doing it for every movement. When towing you will be looking backwards, and side mirrors. You want to be able to easily switch direction without having to constantly look back at the screen.

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
The benefit to a stalk is it’s always in the same position, regardless of steering wheel position (which may even be upside down). On a motorbike you don’t have that concern.

However it may be something I could live with, at least there’s a physical control. Not having a physical control for D/R OTOH would be a major pain.

Bentlb3

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4 wheels
Occupation
Work
Country flag
This shows the interior of the Cybertruck that was on display during the recent shareholder day at giga texas.

IMG_1173.jpeg

Cybertruck Interior Seats steering wheel.jpeg
Where’s the HVAC and venting? Does it vent out from this gap strip that runs the length of the dash?
Tesla Cybertruck Leaked interior Cybertruck photo! IMG_1139

C3y3ber

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S 100D
Country flag
Fixed

We’re you not paying attention for the past 3 years?Snoozed through launch video?
Nice try. If I expected what was at launch, I would be seeing 6 seats, a paper dashboard, and a ramp kid. Things change, usually you hope they get better, not the case here.

They can do better then these cheap toyota corolla looking materials. I'm not a fan of the model 3 and y interior either which is why I have an S. They really should bring back the moonroof.

Probably been in this game longer then you. Willing to pay more for an extra screen....it's worth it. And it has been shown in other prototypes. HUDs are great to.

Don't drink all the Kool aid.

Keep up darlin'

PS not a fan of these touch controls in a truck. Hope that doesn't bother you.
Sponsored