Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid; CT on order
Country flag
What in the actual fuck does any of this have to do with Cybertruck pricing?

You are off in the woods trying to argue the most bizarro things which have nothing to do with the topic here.

You keep asserting that somehow an 86% price increase is inevitable… with zero logic to back it. Then when anyone calls you on it you call them a stan. Yet you are the one with a nonsense POV with no logic behind it.

Your Supertruck pricing is way beyond any other EV truck pricing. It’s way beyond Tesla’s original estimates…. MASSIVELY beyond them. But you keep pounding this drum as if it’s the most logical thing in the world.

Nobody is buying it.
Initial CT, might be called a "Launch Edition" will definitely be approaching six figures in cost. It will be a souped-up fast version of a CT with quad motors. As long as it has 400+ miles, I'm willing to drop $100K USD on a CT as that is what the market will bear (supply and demand).

Eventually, as the market saturates, Tesla will certainly drop the price and introduce lower-variant CTs.

This is just my prediction and I could be totally wrong. But think about it: why would Tesla not charge as much as the market will bear? If they are supply constrained, wouldn't they want to milk this cash cow?
Sponsored

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
If tesla wants to cut down their million+ reservation list by a large margin, let them make $70k the price of CT entry.

The 80k+ trucks from every manufacturer is a niche market, not mass production. Those buyers are in the thousands, not in the hundreds of thousands or more.

Teslas planned CT volume cannot sustain 70k+ models only. Especially after the initial rush subsides.
Exactly, Tesla take the cream with the Plaid. Then get to work on market shifting ct1/2/3 priced to max out the 250k capacity per year.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Initial CT, might be called a "Launch Edition" will definitely be approaching six figures in cost. It will be a souped-up fast version of a CT with quad motors. As long as it has 400+ miles, I'm willing to drop $100K USD on a CT as that is what the market will bear (supply and demand).

Eventually, as the market saturates, Tesla will certainly drop the price and introduce lower-variant CTs.

This is just my prediction and I could be totally wrong. But think about it: why would Tesla not charge as much as the market will bear? If they are supply constrained, wouldn't they want to milk this cash cow?
I posted a chart which suggests something similar. I doubt there will be a “Launch Edition”, but a Plaid/ Performance model is entirely possible. If the long range version lands around $80k, the Plaid hitting at around $100k makes sense.

Tesla usually launches with 1 version of a vehicle and brings a second trim up 3-6 months later. That might be the Plaid and the LR version. Berlin started with the Performance Model Y and is now launching the Model Y SR+ with LFP cells. Texas is spinning up Model Y LR production as well.

Ultimately we still don’t know what the Cybertruck trims will be. Some people are presuming there will be some tier about the previous tri motor truck, but it’s entirely possible they just add a motor, bump the price $15k and call it the Cybertruck Plaid.

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag

You're exactly spot on... The only thing I would slightly disagree with is the starting price for the launch edition you're talking about. I think the initial quad motor cyber truck is going to be closer to $130,000. There's no reason for The premiere, totally decked out cybertruck it to be cheaper than an entry level model x. I don't want it to be that expensive, I'm just realistic and I know that they know that they can sell every single one they make in that initial limited production for that price until things get ramped up.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You're exactly spot on... The only thing I would slightly disagree with is the starting price for the launch edition you're talking about. I think the initial quad motor cyber truck is going to be closer to $130,000. There's no reason for The premiere, totally decked out cybertruck it to be cheaper than an entry level model x. I don't want it to be that expensive, I'm just realistic and I know that they know that they can sell every single one they make in that initial limited production for that price until things get ramped up.
There is no reason for it to be as much as the Model X either. It’s just an arbitrary benchmark you’ve made up that has nothing to do with any real metric.

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
There is no reason for it to be as much as the Model X either. It’s just an arbitrary benchmark you’ve made up that has nothing to do with any real metric.
Except that it will likely have a bigger battery, more motors, more range and a far more capable suspension and drivetrain system. But yeah, slam me for making up an arbitrary benchmark to compare it to. It's silly for me to think that something with more complexity, capability and components should be priced higher than something else.

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
Except that it will likely have a bigger battery, more motors, more range and a far more capable suspension and drivetrain system. But yeah, slam me for making up an arbitrary benchmark to compare it to. It's silly for me to think that something with more complexity, capability and components should be priced higher than something else.
Are you going to be more upset when Tesla charges $130,000 for each launch edition Cybertruck or when resellers sell them for over $200,000 that first year?

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
It's okay... You can admit I have a point

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We are on the same page. I wouldn't be shocked if your prediction is right ($130K+ starting price for "launch edition") and as a Tesla stock owner, I like that.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Actually, the point you’ve made is just about you.

Elon Musk showed a Single Motor Cybertruck under $40,000.00 if ordered at the launch. It wasn’t some figure a genius pulled out of thin air. That price was researched, leveraged and calculated against Tesla #1 pickup 45yrs running, the FORD F-150.

Today, Tesla haven’t begun producing a truck while FORD, Rivian and General Motors have customers who have taken delivery.
Now Elon Musk is asking those same RN holders who ordered to *forget* what they ordered. Today its a new Cybertruck, different and one damn fine truck!
SO WHAT! Where’s the $40k Cybertruck? That was the definition of damn fine in 2019. AND it is still a FORD pickup killer in 2024!

Oh wait…’cuz quad-motor Rivian shook EM’s confidence, took best of breed and delivered stealing his “killer” message? SO you bought that? Well step right up son, open your wallet. You’ve just been picked for the “L”.
There is no goddamned reason any pickup should be priced differently than the order demanded at launch — even if Tesla cancels every last one offered in lieu of a quad variant for all.
Pickups work. That’s what they are design to do. If weak kneed EM wants the Bee’s Knees double unicorn, quad motor, RWD,FSD,4WD,Robotruck of his dreams – let him pay for it! And you, of course.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Homes on Santa Clara going up by 1000% in California in the last twenty years, and 1000% in the 40 years prior sure didn't hurt Boomers and hurt Millennials...

-Crissa
Of course property values went up crazy amounts, it's some of the best land in the US for yearly moderate weather conditions.

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you going to be more upset when Tesla charges $130,000 for each launch edition Cybertruck or when resellers sell them for over $200,000 that first year?
Bingo.

I'd rather Tesla make that money rather than scalpers. Fuck the scalpers. If I get the CT, I won't be reselling it for profit.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You are talking to yourself now.

I’ll admit you have a point when you can fill in the following 2 blanks.

Remember when ________ sold hundreds of thousands of trucks for $130,000?

Remember when ________ raised the price of their ________ by 89% Or $69,000 and sold hundreds of thousands?

Model X uses 15 year old battery designs. The pack is 20x more complex than the pack in the Cybertruck which makes it vastly more difficult to create. I has the gull wing doors which were extremely complex. Elon Musk called it “the most complex passenger car ever.” He is not repeating the mistakes they made designing the Model X.

What’s next, are you going to start comparing it to the Roadster?

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Not 20 million cybertrucks. 20 million of all Tesla vehicles.
This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out. On one hand Tesla has lofty goals of reaching 20 million vehicles per year. On the other hand they have lofty goals of an enormous fleet of "Robotaxis" that will displace the need for individual vehicle ownership. These two goals play against each other in a rather dynamic way.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I can’t take any post seriously that suggests Autosteer yanks the wheel out of your hand.

Autosteer disengages with even moderate resistance. I have problems far more often with it disengaging when I don’t want it to.

Only option I’ve had removed was the Boombox features which was required by the government.
Tesla Cybertruck Musk: "Cybertruck pricing and specs will be different, but it will be a damn fine product." 1660277109612
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.