OP
OP
Alpine

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
CT compares to Y and 3, not X and S. People who believe CT will be 6 figures seem to yearn for CT to be something its not and was never designed to be. An exclusive trophy truck.

The size argument has to be the worst. I can almost carry my carrera s in the 8' bed of my f350. Should the ford cost more because it takes twice the material to make?

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The reality that Tesla sells above averaged priced cars has created a perception that Tesla likes to sell above average priced cars.

And that false premise leads to another wrong conclusion, in that the next car Tesla sells is likely expensive.

Let's see how the medium trend pans out. Today, Tesla sells every car it makes with up to a year long waiting list.

Should they prefer to have a cheaper, below average priced car with a multi-year waiting list. ?

They currently have a customer base for above average priced car, and 2 factories are paying to build another 2.
Maintaining higher price points is necessary and wise. It's working, so fingers crossed. !!

Through 2023 OPEX will lower through the roof, manufacturing will be trending towards quadrupling. Soon enough, it will be time to release more mass market price points. CT will be one of them.

Last edited:

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
The truck's original intent was to dominate the truck market, not to become a niche supercar type product like the S and the X are being pushed towards. Remember, that was not the original goal, but each iteration of those models gets faster and more expensive. The goal seems to be purely speed. "My SUV can destroy your Ferrari".

The goal from the beginning of the Cybertruck concept was to make it affordable. Hence the simple steel body construction with flat panels.

Having said that, if I wanted a supercar with Plaid level motors, I'd personally, and I'm guessing most people, when spending that money would probably buy a..... wait for it..... supercar.

The vast majority of truck buyers want utility and range.

Yes, 0-60 in 3 seconds and 1/4 mile at 11 seconds or whatever it is sounds awesome, but it's not why I'd buy a truck.

Now if batteries are the most expensive component of an EV, it makes sense to attach an extra motor or two to give it that super cool, worth it factor and eek out a bit more profit.

I ordered a Tri, not because of speed, but because of the range. If there was an option to save $10-15K and get 500 miles per charge and only have two motors, I'd bet most buyers would jump on it.

And I am absolutely sure of all this because I know a friend that has a cousin whose nephew's sister works in marketing at a subsidiary of Tesla.
[/QU
Agreed. Unfortunately Musk saw the specs on the Rivian RT1 and decided he had to out do it. 99% of truck buyers don't want to pay for their truck to compete with McLaurens. Musk thinks too much like a preadolescent boy. Plaid anything is dumb enough. A plaid Cybertruck is incredible stupid.

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
That is assuming the people you are referencing, finance everything in their lives and over extend themselves. Its a bad assumption. Yes there are a lot in our society who overextend.. but there are many who don't.

Many people finance vehicles within their means/budget, so that they spread their larger costs out over time (accepting that they will pay slightly more over the length of that time in exchange for a monthly payment that is well within their means), thus allowing them to pay all their cost of living and save for other "bigger goals" in life. It is no different than getting a mortgage on a house for a house that is within your means. Not many people drop down hard cash for a house.

I've come to understand that the people who are drawn to purchasing the Cybertruck and Teslas really are upper middle class individuals or older individuals who grew up and were able to make a living/save and get ahead in a completely different economy. It appears the user base on here is consists half of the typical Tesla customer base.. people who have excess cash and are willing to throw down 60-120k at the drop of a hat, and the rest of us who have grown up and made their way in an economy that is much tighter than 30-40 years ago for the average employee.

The condescension in your post reeks.
Sorry you never figured it out. So are you going to financing your Cybertruck with your Social Security payments? Even then the Cybertruck was unveiled 32 months ago and you didn't bother to start saving for it?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Sorry you never figured it out. So are you going to financing your Cybertruck with your Social Security payments? Even then the Cybertruck was unveiled 32 months ago and you didn't bother to start saving for it?
Good point actually. It is almost 3 years now since the original unveiling. If one had planned and started making the equivalent monthly payment of a 5-year auto finance loan but into their own separate account, they could already have well over half of the CT paid for with their current savings. If they don't have a really low reservation number, it might be over 2 more years till their CT gets built so by that time they could potentially pay for the CT in cash.

But hey, if people want to whine, I'll just be ignoring them as I read some other thread.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Waited 2 years to reserve so that I would be far back on the list so that I could have plenty of time to save. Reserved 13 months ago. Have 1/3 of my original reserved model saved in 13 months. Probably have 3 more years to save. Do the math.

Not that it's anyone's business how I or anyone else pays for it. To each their own.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Mercedes-Benz has a model that squeaks in below the average US car sales price... So I suppose Mercedes would be considered an entry level car company as well?
You may doubt me, but I like to ply in facts. I did not say they were entry-level. 'Average' isn't the minimum. But there is a category 'entry luxury'.

The price of a model can vary quite alot because of options.

-Crissa

WA-CyberDriver

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Dual Motor
Country flag
This is from the Farzad video. Puts a lot of this in perspective.

1660176951383.png
If this is the way it shakes out, then I'll be very happy with the CT4. Plaid is of no value to me.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I notice you work in US military. I will not be surprised if Tesla makes few minor modifications and sell to US military for $130k. Maybe $200k :)
Has there ever been a more perfect match made in heaven then the CT being the vehicle patrolling USSF bases? I think not.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I notice you work in US military. I will not be surprised if Tesla makes few minor modifications and sell to US military for $130k. Maybe $200k :)
yep.....just like the 1972 hammers that were found to cost $500.....hahahaha. talk about gouging
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.