Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
For clarity, I was talking about at home :)

Though I’m perfectly happy flicking them on manually in a car too. Definitely not a deciding feature for me.
I know you were. Lol
Sponsored

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
There’s only one way to make everyone happy … pancakes.

These pancake motors (i.e. axial flux) are a packaging dream. You could have a large frunk, sub 19’ length and quad motors to boot.

zymolysis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Country flag
if this hood is manual, some of you will have significant others or kids who will be unable to reach it or close it with much ease
A strap hanging from the interior of the frunk hood would allow shorter people to pull it down from the raised position. Simple and inexpensive. Powered everything will be expensive to repair, and probably lower resale value after a few years, because there will be so many things that will require repair.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Simple and inexpensive. Powered everything will be expensive to repair, and probably lower resale value after a few years, because there will be so many things that will require repair.
im sympathetic to all this

also just a bit confused, as people seem to simultaneously champion e.g., multiple motors, four wheel steering, adjustable air suspension, solar roofs, water-proofing for “boat mode” (🤣), rearview monitors, etc., etc., etc.

I’m just not getting the tipping point of mechanical complexity being eg the actuator for a powered tailgate - which if ‘broken’ becomes a manual tailgate; like a ‘broken’ escalator becomes stairs (ht Hedberg)

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I had a similar initial impression, when the Lightning came with power Frunk and tailgate

have to admit I’ve come to appreciate them as much or more than power door locks, or power windows - and that’s as a large and tall man

my wife appreciates them even more

many of y’all understandably forget that many of these powered functions are now borne of mass appeal to and usability for differently abled people dealing with large and tall vehicles.

trucks are now family vehicles (see eg crew cabs) as much as farm implements

if this hood is manual, some of you will have significant others or kids who will be unable to reach it or close it with much ease

8D372A9F-C024-4B7C-B694-647F40CBD158.jpeg
Another angle that shows the support structure of the CT compared to the X.
X was a little flimsy and manual cautions you to use two hands to close it because of denting. I'll use my forearm across the front if I only have one hand (arm) available.

Tesla Cybertruck New leaked video! Many Cybertrucks production completed w/ new wheel design + finished frunks! Screenshot of Cybertruck wrapped like a F150, also sneak peak under the frunk. _ Tesla Motors

Tesla Cybertruck New leaked video! Many Cybertrucks production completed w/ new wheel design + finished frunks! E2VF38v

Tesla Cybertruck New leaked video! Many Cybertrucks production completed w/ new wheel design + finished frunks! w670HaU

Last edited:

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
im sympathetic to all this

also just a bit confused, as people seem to simultaneously champion e.g., multiple motors, four wheel steering, adjustable air suspension, solar roofs, water-proofing for “boat mode” (🤣), rearview monitors, etc., etc., etc.

I’m just not getting the tipping point of mechanical complexity being eg the actuator for a powered tailgate - which if ‘broken’ becomes a manual tailgate; like a ‘broken’ escalator becomes stairs (ht Hedberg)
My R1T would not power close because it thought something was in the way. For most of my ownership, I closed it manually and it worked just fine.

A exterior button to pop the frunk open (and hopefully raise unassisted) is essential to people using the frunk often. I agree that with all the proposed features, a powered actuator for the frunk is pretty easy. A power closing/soft close frunk could help with the water tightness for "boat mode" too. :LOL:

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Are you going to charge it next to the curb every night?
By the way, the way many people seem to wire chargers in their garages is a fire hazard, so the last place, if you are one of them, you should put your electric car would be in the garage. That said, I had both of our wall connectors wired up on a separate subpanel with 60 amp breakers on each and by a licensed electrician that has done a lot of BEV wirings.

Sandman1962

First Name
Sel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S , Model X
Country flag
A powered frunk would be nice though not essential. Sure it’s a luxury and adds to complexity and cost.

In our Model X, the front driver’s door opens automatically when it senses the key fob ( for those who might not know). And it opens wider when approaching from the rear of the car. The cool thing is it closes automatically when you get in and step on the brake. It absolutely is unnecessary but after a short time, it becomes a welcome feature. And one touch of the “close all” button on the screen closes any open door - including the two FWD and the trunk. Complicated yes, but cool and has been 100% reliable for the last five years.

Our Model S doesn’t have the door feature (a 2016 model…maybe someone could chime in and tell us if the newer Model S doors are automatic), but I wish it did. The powered trunk has been reliable.

I guess my point is, powered doors/frunk/trunk/liftgate are complicated and do add to cost and complexity, but it can be made reliably and I’ve found it just adds to the overall experience in a positive way.

And after all that, still a small unpowered frunk will not influence my purchase at all.

MonkeyDeLuffy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick
Occupation
Math In-and-Out
Country flag
Steering by wire and brake by wire would reduce the cost, weight, unusable interior space(bigger nose with mini dash for example) and complexity to a level we haven't seen across all other vehicles in the same category/size...It was Elon's initiative at the beginning, to build a vehicle with all advance technologies in the industry, but compromises have to be made, and someone will have to leave Tesla with uncontroversial regret.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
this one definitely isnt

for those paying close attention and in the assembly field, apparently, the vid betrays some inferences Tesla would rather not be inferred regarding the maturity of the production line

(not to mention a couple of shop floor no-nos)

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Re: wheel well taking up a LOT of the [potential] "frunk" space

Just TWO angles of the wheel well below. Dup pict so they are next to each others for ease of viewing.

Screenshot of Cybertruck wrapped like a F150, also sneak peak under the frunk. _ Tesla Motors ...jpg

See wheel well below -- Ignore yellow rectangle crumple zone.
Tesla Cybertruck New leaked video! Many Cybertrucks production completed w/ new wheel design + finished frunks! eyLiu6

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
A strap hanging from the interior of the frunk hood would allow shorter people to pull it down from the raised position. Simple and inexpensive. Powered everything will be expensive to repair, and probably lower resale value after a few years, because there will be so many things that will require repair.
This may work but considering the weight of the hood the opening spring will probably be pretty stiff and pulling the hood down may be less fun than you think, even with a rope.
Sponsored