MilliVanilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S Plaid, F430
Country flag
So, on a CB FS that would be substituting $5,800 worth of stuff ($1,800 gateway + $4,000 labor) for 1 year of Supercharging? You'd need to drive around 40,000 miles (charging exclusively on Superchargers) in that first year to break even on the deal.

$5,800 is 19,333 kWh, assuming an average of $0.30/kWh. That's 157 full charges. And by Kyle Conner's testing, that's 254 miles each full charge (at 70MPH at 40-some degrees). That works out to 39,924 miles. Of course, these values are estimates and can be adjusted (CB will be less range), but it's still a huge amount of miles you'd need to Supercharge and drive the first year just to get your $5,800 worth.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Cyber07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 MS 85, 2018 M3 LR, 2020 M3 P, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
I have multiple PowerWalls with version 2 Gateways installed by Tesla itself and if they pull this on me because of a BS reason I will cancel my CT order no matter loosing $1000. One of my justification for the higher prices to have a big backup battery. It translates to $77,400 worth of battery value (no 30% tax credit though), hence having a car for $23k is an OK proposition.

Bsimmer3000

Banned
Banned
First Name
Barri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Country flag
I only see this bait and switch after my put down the $1000. I’m gonna be pissed if they try to swap me over to a free super charging for a year as I wouldn’t get even close to the $6500 value of the labor and parts. Likely less than 5% of my yearly charging would be super charging so they would be giving me less than $200 with of charging and taking away $6500 of value. If they do this I will cancel my order and there won’t be a single Tesla on our driveway in the future. The main reason I bought the truck was that I could run my home in power cuts. I could by a nice generator for $6500

Saygmo

First Name
Sas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 awd
Country flag
Next up, email going out to people who ordered the range extender:
“We’re sorry, the range extender doesn’t actually work, but instead of a refund we will be giving you this nice Honda gas generator to throw in the bed of the truck when you run out of battery between superchargers.”

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I so love this. All these posters had no issues yesterday morning. But when it was found out that Tesla was offering free Supercharging for those whom they weren't going to be able to install Powershare for, (Which has a disclaimer that they may not be able to) all the sudden everybody is irate.

Folks, look at the details of what you signed. The previous indication was that either they could do it or you would get NOTHING. Tesla has been generous enough to offer something.

And no, not everyone is suitable for Powershare. I doubt if I am. The truck just isn't going to be able to power a 400A panel. And it probably can't do a 200A panel.
This "powering the home" stuff comes with a LOT of caveats. That's why I laugh when I see the promises that Ford makes with the Lightning.

Balthezor

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, 2020 Model Y
Country flag
Its not an issue with any of the lower 48 that im aware or. Localized AHJs and various utilities can do basically whatever they want though
Ok great. Was worried it was only in select market. I live out in the rural area in PA, and I could use the power wall.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I so love this. All these posters had no issues yesterday morning. But when it was found out that Tesla was offering free Supercharging for those whom they weren't going to be able to install Powershare for, (Which has a disclaimer that they may not be able to) all the sudden everybody is irate.

Folks, look at the details of what you signed. The previous indication was that either they could do it or you would get NOTHING. Tesla has been generous enough to offer something.

And no, not everyone is suitable for Powershare. I doubt if I am. The truck just isn't going to be able to power a 400A panel. And it probably can't do a 200A panel.
This "powering the home" stuff comes with a LOT of caveats. That's why I laugh when I see the promises that Ford makes with the Lightning.
You dont need it to power the whole panel. You would likely pick which circuits you want to power and power a subset. Like the important stuff. Plus, it's not like your house is actually pulling 400A.

I think it's totally fair for these people to be upset. Powershare is one of the main features. It's not like FSD where it will come.

But I do think the people who are being left out of the real powershare, should consider the nema 14-50 power inlet. It's only 40A and you would have to do the manual switching. in the event of a power outage, but that's what I am going to keep as my backup if tesla wont install the real powershare whenever I can even be considered for that

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
You dont need it to power the whole panel. You would likely pick which circuits you want to power and power a subset. Like the important stuff. Plus, it's not like your house is actually pulling 400A.

I think it's totally fair for these people to be upset. Powershare is one of the main features. It's not like FSD where it will come.

But I do think the people who are being left out of the real powershare, should consider the nema 14-50 power inlet. It's only 40A and you would have to do the manual switching. in the event of a power outage, but that's what I am going to keep as my backup if tesla wont install the real powershare whenever I can even be considered for that
Yep, and that requires the installation of a sub-panel, and those loads must be rerouted to the sub-panel.

Tesla has it written all over the Powershare stuff, 11kW. If you are upset that you don't meet the requirements, I'm sorry, the numbers are out there.
It should have been obvious when they sent out the questionnaire that there were going to be situations that wouldn't fit.

No, I'm not pulling 96kW that a 400A panel can provide . It's probably more line 30kW max. That's why I've got a 60kW generator sitting outside.

Oh, and just the generator may be enough to disqualify me.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag

What is lifetime free supercharging worth to the average driver? Not the traveling salesman but the average user that charges at home and uses SC on the couple trips they take a month.

I ask because I get what your saying @Woodrick but 6 months does seem like a small consolation for missing out on PS equipment and 4k install.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
What is lifetime free supercharging worth to the average driver? Not the traveling salesman but the average user that charges at home and uses SC on the couple trips they take a month.

I ask because I get what your saying @Woodrick but 6 months does seem like a small consolation for missing out on PS equipment and 4k install.
"Up to 4k"

The value varies. To some of the early Model S with lifetime, it's in valuable. To those that live in condos or apartments? Maybe $600/yr. To an average homeowner, maybe <$100.

But it is money that wasn't guaranteed to you, in a number of installations, it may have only cost $150, especially if you have Tesla solar and Powerwalls.

But I didn't hear anyone complaining about it before, when they signed the order agreement! Didn't you read it? I assume that you accepted it.

To assume that you were getting $4,000 when it clearly stated up to $4,000....

The alternative is that they offered you $0. That's well within the contract that you signed.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
"Up to 4k"

The value varies. To some of the early Model S with lifetime, it's in valuable. To those that live in condos or apartments? Maybe $600/yr. To an average homeowner, maybe <$100.

But it is money that wasn't guaranteed to you, in a number of installations, it may have only cost $150, especially if you have Tesla solar and Powerwalls.

But I didn't hear anyone complaining about it before, when they signed the order agreement! Didn't you read it? I assume that you accepted it.

To assume that you were getting $4,000 when it clearly stated up to $4,000....

The alternative is that they offered you $0. That's well within the contract that you signed.
I do get what you are saying and agree they were clear "if avail". Why make any offer at all then?

Making such a trivial offer just puts salt on the wound. At your estimated cost for free lifetime and considering this is just a small group of FS owners, I think they could have made those denied the PS feel a lot better with free lifetime.

Anyway hoping my home will qualify and feel for those that didn't.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Yep, and that requires the installation of a sub-panel, and those loads must be rerouted to the sub-panel.

Tesla has it written all over the Powershare stuff, 11kW. If you are upset that you don't meet the requirements, I'm sorry, the numbers are out there.
It should have been obvious when they sent out the questionnaire that there were going to be situations that wouldn't fit.

No, I'm not pulling 96kW that a 400A panel can provide . It's probably more line 30kW max. That's why I've got a 60kW generator sitting outside.

Oh, and just the generator may be enough to disqualify me.
You're assuming that they are denying people based on their panels and stuff. I dont think that's the case. My guess is it would be more likely that the utility company said no.

If you did all the separate panel and everything it would add to the cost, but tesla only needs to pay up to 4k. Anything over would be on you. I dont think that's the issue. Plus, AWD buyers are paying it all.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I do get what you are saying and agree they were clear "if avail". Why make any offer at all then?

Making such a trivial offer just puts salt on the wound. At your estimated cost for free lifetime and considering this is just a small group of FS owners, I think they could have made those denied the PS feel a lot better with free lifetime.

Anyway hoping my home will qualify and feel for those that didn't.
There was no wound before yesterday.

And it was never free lifetime Supercharging, it's only 1 year.
Something is better than nothing and until people pick up their vehicles, we're not sure that it really is nothing.
Who knows if they will do anything else? We certainly didn't know that they would do this. I personally was already discounting the $4k offer because I doubted I would fit.
Sponsored