shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
As others have stated this is not a new video. No midgate was shown - just a read window that appears to have been lowered.

I think the OP was confusing midgate with the rear window going down.

I would love a midgate. But, we have seen nothing - nor, have we had any word from Elon - that we'll have a midgate. Midgate being the vertical support behind the second row of seats folding down over the rear seats to extend the bed.

Dang, I got all excited when I saw the header for the post! LOL!

First Name
Friction is your friend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S 3 x cybertruck
Country flag
I don't see where there would be a mid-gate. Looks like the track for the tonneau, no mid-gate.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Isn't the driver's display even an optional add-on on the model 3 in the model y so wouldn't it be the same for the cyber truck?
It is not an option from the factory, but there are a bunch of 3rd party options.

RavenX447

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw T5.1 180 4WD - CT Tri motor FSD ??
Occupation
Property Maintenance Technician
Country flag
The Mid Gate is shown at the 42 second mark, 45 second mark and the 1 minute 11 second mark. I saw an older video, but I didn't see the extended one like this. And...the truck at the very end of the video with the cover closed is a different vehicle if you look at the rear tow hitch area.
Yeah definitely two different vehicles, different wheels too
🙄

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Elon has blurted out that Cybertruck would have both 4 wheel steering and boat mode after never mentioning either of them from 2019 reveal until a couple years after the 2019 reveal when we got his "official" tweet that Cybertruck would have both ( though we do not know if it all models or just higher models).

Only about 6 months following the 2019 reveal, Elon was asked in a tweet about mid-gate and Elon replied it was worth consideration.

We have seen prototypes with things not on reveal prototype like driver displays, BAW, no exterior door handles, and more.
Patents for laser cleaning glass, HD radar, steer by wire, and many more.

Elon has said bed/vault would have some climate control.
2013 Chevy Avalanche pickup truck had mid-gate
2024 GMC/Chevy Sierra/Silverado EV will have mid-gate.

There will probably be more surprises on Cybertruck official launch day in summer 2023 :)

-------------------------------------

Tesla Cybertruck: Elon Musk considers folding rear window for extra storage
By Fred Lambert | Jun 11 2020
https://electrek.co/2020/06/11/tesla-cybertruck-elon-musk-folding-rear-window-extra-storage/

People at the Tesla Truck Club thought of a concept to make the storage space even bigger:

------

It would be great if the Cybertruck's rear window could roll down into the rear wall and then the whole wall fold in on top of folded rear seats.
Perfect for camping when Tonneau is closed, and for carrying things longer than 8’
— Tesla Truck Club (@[Banned Site]) June 11 2020

------

-------------------------------------
And Elon specifically said that there would be a pass through to the bed. That was before the request for a midgate. And he also said there could be a stop on the tailgate around the same time, again on request. The very fact that he said a midgate was worthy of consideration, and the Chevy Silverado will have one, is reason enough to think Tesla has considered it. Whether they found a way forward with the retractable tonneau, along with all the other issues raised over the years here, is unknown. I have had to run 4x6 pressure treated posts up to my front seat and although it was possible for one or two when I had to do the same with 4 of them I had to go to the roof. I think that it is safe to assume that either Tesla or a 3rd-Party company will provide for a suitable rack to serve this purpose.

Daddystired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
What up!
previous tundra crew max owner here.
Owner of a model Y now.
If my item was too long I would definitely drop the rear window and slide it in.
Why?
Because after roughly a certain amount of inches the item you (have to get and get going) got. You can get pulled over and get. Hefty hefty Citation .
So maybe the 25 dollar item now cost you 275.
yes you can wrap a red flag on it.
but most of the time. No one has that.
could even be transferring a ladder for someone.
So yeah. That’s why you choose option blue. Most time it’s short distance drive. So it’s really no biggie.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Somewhat related, but separate topic: Do we think you will be able to partially open/close the tonneau? Will it have sensors to detect obstructions?

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Now you’ll be able to get it on rainy days, and even make a second stop. Think of the possibilities!

Daddystired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Alright. I was getting half my roof done and the guys redoing it needed a drip rail or something from what I remember. My bed for the tundra was 5.5 feet from what I remember.
I wasn’t necessarily thinking I’m going to get pulled over. But more I don’t want thisthin metal to bend so badly. Bumps and what not.
also I had fold out chairs in the back of the bed. Boots. I don’t remember why I didn’t pull them out. But I wasn’t going to drop the tail gate. Homedepot isn’t far from me either.
the trim was 10 feet.

nothing like one hand on the steering wheel one on the 2 trims.Feeling like idiot. Lmao
I don’t know what exactly comes in 11 feet though. But I do remember my uncle telling me he did the same thing but in a Subaru. And when he went to brake the 2x4 went through his windshield 🤣
So yeah don t do this kinda stuff there’s risk

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Somewhat related, but separate topic: Do we think you will be able to partially open/close the tonneau? Will it have sensors to detect obstructions?
In the US I'm sure it would have to have sensors to keep from injuring someone. However, there seems to be different laws outside the US. /s :)

Sponsored