Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
yea that’s the one I reserved as well. I would love the Tri-motor but there’s no way I can justify that.
For sure.. 500 miles of range and a 2.9s 0-60 is insane.. but so is $70k for a truck without add ons.

The DMCT is no slouch either though. I bet it will end up running closer to a 4 second 0-60.
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Should Tesla choose to take over the entire Pickup industry (ICE and EV) in one Fell Swoop with the Cybertruck, the Golden Key is a 1,000 mile range.

If so, GigaFactory Texas best be ready to produce both Quality and Volume.

Within 3 years the Pickup industry would be Tesla's.
1600 km on a charge is the Golden Key? Why so high? 800 km is already great.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
1600 km on a charge is the Golden Key? Why so high? 800 km is already great.
Thanks for the question.

Work trucks, and recreational trucks, need to be able to tow larger trailers in all conditions including cold weather, long days, mountainous terrains. This could potentially cut the range in half.

Many locales, states, areas have few, if any charging stations. They will be built, yet the point is this they are not there now or in the immediate future. Range Awareness is key and remains an issue. Let's simply blast past this to gain more consumers.

What may be needed is a smaller lighter battery pack for the local commuter and light duty use.

And then a large, 1000 mile range for the heavy usage, trailer towing, commercial use vehicles.

In order to achieve an EV vehicle world, part of the equation is to convince the mass potential market to convert their ICE vehicles to EV. To do this and also for Tesla to be the leader of this Cost, Durability, Capacity and Ease of use "Range" are key to Marketing this product to the masses.

Elon, I hope your staff is listening, because the Pickup market could be yours in one Fell Swoop.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Context for those that did not listen to the podcast. Ryan has a source that provided him this information. Another source not related to his, that is a confirmed Tesla Engineer came out with the same information.

The most interesting part to me in the podcast was the part that hasn't been mentioned here yet. These sources claim that based on the competition in the market by Rivian, Hummer, (insert any other electric vehicle maker here), there are several projects that exist within Tesla that havent even entertained yet to allow for added technology to the CT. The podcast's source said:

"There is a treasure trove of Tesla tech just waiting to stomp the competition"

Personally, I cannot wait for the competition to heat up to hear more about this new tech!

Last edited:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
A steering wheel must be a full circle to be legal. I am interested to see what the Tesla design team came up with for the production version.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Thanks for the question.

Work trucks, and recreational trucks, need to be able to tow larger trailers in all conditions including cold weather, long days, mountainous terrains. This could potentially cut the range in half.

Many locales, states, areas have few, if any charging stations. They will be built, yet the point is this they are not there now or in the immediate future. Range Awareness is key and remains an issue. Let's simply blast past this to gain more consumers.

What may be needed is a smaller lighter battery pack for the local commuter and light duty use.

And then a large, 1000 mile range for the heavy usage, trailer towing, commercial use vehicles.

In order to achieve an EV vehicle world, part of the equation is to convince the mass potential market to convert their ICE vehicles to EV. To do this and also for Tesla to be the leader of this Cost, Durability, Capacity and Ease of use "Range" are key to Marketing this product to the masses.

Elon, I hope your staff is listening, because the Pickup market could be yours in one Fell Swoop.
These are valid points, but for how many? I have heard of numbers for ICE trucks upward around 700+ miles but most people don’t need that kind of range. So as valid as the points are, I wonder just how many trucks are sold each year with that kind of range. If it is large, the maybe the suggestion should be considered seriously. If it is a small number then maybe Tesla should stick with their current design and try to maximize the range a bit more. But it is a macroscopic problem. If charging time and charger availability go down, and up, respectively, then the range problem changes.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
A steering wheel must be a full circle to be legal. I am interested to see what the Tesla design team came up with for the production version.
Can you cite in the NHTSA NPRMs where this requirement is? I looked around a bit and couldn’t find it.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Context for those that did not listen to the podcast. Ryan has a source that provided him this information. Another source not related to his, that is a confirmed Tesla Engineer came out with the same information.

The most interesting part to me in the podcast was the part that hasn't been mentioned here yet. These sources claim that based on the competition in the market by Rivian, Hummer, (insert any other electric vehicle maker here), there are several projects that exist within Tesla that havent even entertained yet to allow for added technology to the CT. The podcast's source said:

"There is a treasure trove of Tesla tech just waiting to stomp the competition"

Personally, I cannot wait for the competition to heat up to hear more about this new tech!
The podcast also spoke about firmware upgrades already I. The mix that would be great, though it didn’t specify what.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I can find it in state regulations but 'circular no less than 13" diameter' seems specified in the crumple requirements... but I can't find the specific regulation section for those.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I can find it in state regulations but 'circular no less than 13" diameter' seems specified in the crumple requirements... but I can't find the specific regulation section for those.

-Crissa
We have seen other steering wheels that are 'roughly' circular, so I would be interested in knowing what the definition of 'circular' is for NHTSA. Perhaps it just means that some part of the wheel is based on a center and radius and not that it must be a complete circle. If that is true, then a yoke could still meet the requirements (I am not saying whether I like the idea).

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag