Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
No, storage pockets are not neccessary for a work truck to be useful. It depends on how the truck is to be used. As I've pointed out, my F-150 has zero outside accessible stash pockets and it lacks a frunk too. It's the best selling truck in America, in part because of it's versatility. If you want a bunch of storage pockets you can add them. The Cybertruck will have plenty of aftermarket toolbox options too.

That said, I bet the Cybertruck has some storage built-in that uses otherwise wasted space. Which is fine by me and even welcome. I was just saying it's not necessary for the truck to be functional. I would wager more real work was accomplished with trucks before they became a suburban fashion accessory and before "stash pockets" hit the scene than all the trucks put together with stash pockets.
Alright, I concede that my use of the word 'useful' was offensive. I simply wish to express that the sidesail is a welcomed feature.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That doesn't make any sense because a heavy load increases the need for torsional rigidity. No, the load doesn't get transferred directly into the rear cast and suspension. A portion of the load is transferred to the front wheels and, on uneven ground, you had better bet your pickle 3500 lbs. is going to need some serious torsional rigidity.
Um not sure how that is disagreeing with what I said. Torsional stiffness is still being provided by the solid panel on the inside of the wall so the outside panel can have the sail openings.

Location of the load directly above the axle means most of the weight of the load is directly downwards, except when going down a steep incline or hard high speed breaking. Load transfer to the front is reduced by the length of the lever arm (wheelbase). Torsional stiffness (rotation around the longitudinal center axis) would apply if a front wheel would leave the ground because its over its maximum articulation. There the load from the rear is limited by the length of the lever arm. Technically, if you imagine the load on the rear is evenly distributed and to be like a self balancing two wheeler (Segway) there would be no extra torsional moment to the front from the load itself. There would likely be from the batteries and front of the vehicle though.

Regardless, the point I was making if there is no need for the outside sail panel to be fixed for structural purposes as the interior sail wall, right next to the bed withthe load, would be a better place for a structural element anyway.

I want sails. And a slide out draw frunk that goes all the way under the front windscreen dash, and is over 400L ;-)

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
I want sails. And a slide out draw frunk that goes all the way under the front windscreen dash, and is over 400L ;-)
I agree that it should go, to a certain extent, under the front windscreen dash. However I'd much prefer a liftgate like on the F-150 Lighting than a slide out drawer. Since you mentioned having a CAD model is there any chance you could render it?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I agree that it should go, to a certain extent, under the front windscreen dash. However I'd much prefer a liftgate like on the F-150 Lighting than a slide out drawer. Since you mentioned having a CAD model is there any chance you could render it?
I'll try tonight. If it does have a slide then it probably still needs a frunk hood to open as well. The drawer is there just to give better access to under the dash storage.

To be honest volume wise the only limitation I can think of is for safety reasons, in that large peices of steel in the frunk would negatively reduce crash deformation and subsequently would require passenger ingress protection.

Yes there is the whole HVAC cooling setup in the front, but if its the same unit as in the plaid (I'm also thinking plaid motors will be used on all models due to smaller size and cost), then it will fit below the top height of the front bumper and in front of the front drivetrain.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'll try tonight. If it does have a slide then it probably still needs a frunk hood to open as well. The drawer is there just to give better access to under the dash storage.
I find a drawer unlikely, but intriguing.

I don’t get why you think the hood would have to open if there was a drawer. In fact I’d say if you have to have both, no point in having a drawer at all.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I find a drawer unlikely, but intriguing.

I don’t get why you think the hood would have to open if there was a drawer. In fact I’d say if you have to have both, no point in having a drawer at all.
Depends on how high you want the loading lip of the drawer. If the frunk hood goes up with the grill (like the lightning) then you could have the drawer lip just above the bumper, and only higher walls left and right to support the rails. You also don't need to make it full extension, and you can place stuff in the frunk by popping the hood, withou using the drawer. You also gain a bit of volume under the hood.

This would also be possible as an after market accessory so long the frunk hood also lifts the grill. You could then have modular storage boxes or a kitchen or tool modules you can then plonk on top.

You can also do a full extension drawer, that works, but you need a seam under the hood where the light bar is, which is also then your loading lip height. Either way it works, you might just have to lower the suspension for vertically challenged people.

BTW the drawer is mostly for accessing storage volume under the dashboard, and is also a good way to keep things organised without having to dig through gear.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
BTW the drawer is mostly for accessing storage volume under the dashboard, and is also a good way to keep things organised without having to dig through gear.
I think the drawer would make it easier to load and unload then the frunk. You could get right up against a drawer on 3 sides where the frunk you are leaning over the bumper. If you have something ever moderately heavy you can team lift into a drawer, but the truck is way too wide to lift into the vault from the sides.

The sloped area above could be used for the bio weapon defense mode filter.

Anyhow… all conjecture. I seriously doubt a drawer is in the cards.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-

To be honest volume wise the only limitation I can think of is for safety reasons, in that large peices of steel in the frunk would negatively reduce crash deformation and subsequently would require passenger ingress protection.

Yes there is the whole HVAC cooling setup in the front, but if its the same unit as in the plaid (I'm also thinking plaid motors will be used on all models due to smaller size and cost), then it will fit below the top height of the front bumper and in front of the front drivetrain.
The radiators yes but I think you're still going to have a lot of things like the heatpump, supermanifold-octovalve, electrical etc... that won't fit there and will have to be put between the end of the frunk and the dashboard, which is going to eat a bit of space.

I'm not a fan of a drawer because if you're going to also add a liftgate it adds unnecessary complexity and if you don't it becomes quite limiting. That said, provided you have the time, it would be nice to see both rendered.

JeffnReno

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y LR with tow package
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I know this is supposed to be about the side sail but since many have touched on the frunk area I'll add my 2 cents. I'd really like to see the frunk open to the bumper like the Ford. From the way the front bends, it appears that it would be possible to keep the lights the same with a slight division on each side just like Ford is doing it on their truck. Side sail storage or not, having a frunk that is more usable like a trunk would be a great thing on a pickup for everyday stuff like grocery shopping, etc as it would be providing an external storage space large enough without having to open the vault area or remove things in the bed for under bed storage access. On my Model 3, I keep things in the frunk that I want with me in an emergency but rarely access that area otherwise since the trunk is so easy and useful. On a truck, it would be just the opposite for me.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I know this is supposed to be about the side sail but since many have touched on the frunk area I'll add my 2 cents. I'd really like to see the frunk open to the bumper like the Ford. From the way the front bends, it appears that it would be possible to keep the lights the same with a slight division on each side just like Ford is doing it on their truck. Side sail storage or not, having a frunk that is more usable like a trunk would be a great thing on a pickup for everyday stuff like grocery shopping, etc as it would be providing an external storage space large enough without having to open the vault area or remove things in the bed for under bed storage access. On my Model 3, I keep things in the frunk that I want with me in an emergency but rarely access that area otherwise since the trunk is so easy and useful. On a truck, it would be just the opposite for me.
Yeah, very possible the frunk on the truck will be the more convenient/ common storage area for most stuff. Groceries in the frunk might make more sense than in the vault for example.

On the Model Y/3, the frunk is quite flimsy though, having an L shaped lid like on the F-150 would mean they would have to make it a much beefier lid. Particularly if there is going to be 3mm steel and a light bar across the front too.

Tesla Cybertruck Side sail area? 1643742787252

Tesla Cybertruck Side sail area? 1643742839767

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Here you go, just something to get your bearings on, I didn't make it pretty.

The drawer box as drawn is 280L (10cft) and you can see how much space it takes up in the frunk volume as well. An opening frunk lid will probably give it another 100L of volume on top.

"If" the frunk hood takes the grill with up this drawer will be available as an add-on accessory by myself (and probably others) if it doesn't come with it. It's likely that with a frunk hood and grill lift there will be a space under the lip of the bumper and the drawer. Ideal for outdoor camp kitchen or tool storage etc. It might need to taper in a bit for wheel arch clearance. Plenty of space underneath for HVAC and drivetrain suspension etc and the passenger footwell just makes it past the front door hinge, so not problems there either.

Tesla Cybertruck Side sail area? Frunk Drawer 1
Tesla Cybertruck Side sail area? Frunk Drawer Side

Tesla Cybertruck Side sail area? Frunk Drawer To
Sponsored

Last edited: