Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Talking about how prices changed *after* the pre-order buyers purchased their cars is irrelevant to this discussion.
I started writing a reply saying the Corvette was originally offered for $3490 but now the lowest cost varient is over $60k. But decided it was to snarky and didn't hit "POST".
Sponsored

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Just a hypothetical: Would you rather get the Tri-motor with the "locked in" FSD price a year after the launch of the quad-motor OR switch to the quad-motor with the "current" FSD price (not saying you have to actually buy it) and get the 4CT in early 2023? I think I would opt for the 4CT without FSD and get it in 2023, myself.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Just a hypothetical: Would you rather get the Tri-motor with the "locked in" FSD price a year after the launch of the quad-motor OR switch to the quad-motor with the "current" FSD price (not saying you have to actually buy it) and get the 4CT in early 2023? I think I would opt for the 4CT without FSD and get it in 2023, myself.
Might remove FSD if the price changes. Most of my intended use can be accomplished with auto pilot.

Any increase to FSD will trigger evaluating if I will get or stick with auto-pilot

I would go with any configuration in my means 2 motors and above to receive a year early.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It all depends on prices. And maybe what TSLA has been doing leading up to the launch.

If things shift around too much Iā€™ll just bail on the whole process or buy whichever I can get sooner and flip it.

There is entirely too much guesswork going on to make any kind of rational decision.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Since Tesla offers minimal options and dislikes assembly line complexity I canā€™t see the new Cybertruck being offered in Single, Dual, Tri and Quad motor configurations.

My hunch is that Tesla will only offer a Quad and Dual motor Cybertruck. As for starting prices I believe the Quad and Dual Motor will be slotted between the $58,990 Model Y and the $94,990 Model S.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla says it won't honor retroactive Full Self-Driving FSD pricing for discontinued models 38B3DC75-07E1-480A-92EA-CE3A8BF66606

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Might be the fate of those who reserved the tri-motor CT.

That sucks bigly.
I kept telling people not to change their orders but if they wanted a different configuration then they should just place an additional order. I donā€™t know if any of us have any ground to stand on really, but I think our best bet is to keep our original orders. I do agree that they will probably just do a dual and quad motor as that make sense for fabrication as well and price point

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No.

It doesn't come from Tesla's bottom line - it comes from the pockets of their investors.

-Crissa
There is an expense, but it is at the time of issuance and based on the share price at the time. In this case, a fairly small expense since the share price was fairly low at the time.

Aside from that, it just adds to the diluted share count. A slow drain on shareholders.

The ā€œbeautyā€ of stock options for a growth company like Tesla is they can essentially print money for employees. The downside is now Tesla has many billionaires on staff. Sometimes it can be hard to motivate people who have excessive wealth. Microsoft had issues with that back in the 00s.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I wonder if Tesla would require a real deposit to get around this? With so many pre-orders they could do another reveal, with an "accurate" production date announcing prices that are close to those originally listed. Then, immediately start contacting reservation holders. The reservation holders then have a short reply window to either get your $100 back, or make a "pre-order" deposit, like $1500-$2500 with an additional 20% down per truck for those who reserved multiple trucks. Then after they sort out customer location and delivery schedules, tell the pre-order people their VINs and more accurate delivery/pickup date.

Then after culling years and years worth of reservation holders out of line, open orders again after production starts with updated pricing.

That way, you show an attempt to honor the original pricing AND reward those who showed early interest and demand.

I know for sure that they'd leave money on the table by raising early reservation holder FSD prices. For people who opted in for $7000-$8000 FSD; they would drop the option more readily than paying $3000 more. For every early reservation that balks on increased price FSD they'd have to get someone who originally didn't want it order it. That's not going to happen if it didn't at $7000.

This doesn't really add to the conversation it's just how I think they should handle it.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I kept telling people not to change their orders but if they wanted a different configuration then they should just place an additional order. I donā€™t know if any of us have any ground to stand on really, but I think our best bet is to keep our original orders. I do agree that they will probably just do a dual and quad motor as that make sense for fabrication as well and price point
Or just reconfigure when their reservations is up so they can stay ahead with their early reservation number.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
He did not say the tri motor was going away.

All he said was there would be a quad motor and it would ship first. The fate of the rest of the line is a complete mystery at this point.
You are actually right. My former life in strategic planning must just have gone into overdrive hearing this announcement from Elon.

As if I'm the strategist for Tesla, I will just make token production of single motor, me thinks a loss leader, and the tri motor. Then concentrate and prioritize production of the dual and the 4-motor variants.

And with the longer and longer wait for single and tri-motor, those who have reservations will drop off and just upgrade to dual and those on tri-motor to 4-motor and eventually eliminating production complexities and it's loss leader single motor as there appears that it is not necessary to attract early adapters at low price point.

Last edited:

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
You are actually right. My former life in strategic must just gone into overdrive hearing this announcement from Elon.

As if I'm the strategist for Tesla, I will just make token production of single motor, me thinks a loss leader, and the tri motor. Then concentrate and prioritize production of the dual and the 4-motor variants.

You could force single/tri motor people to migrate up 1 motor to a dual/quad upgrade. Offer them free FSD in compensation as a take-it-or-cancel deal.

Last edited: