Tow Hitch Recommendations?

Cyberlicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(2) Model X, Model Y, Model 3, CT (day 1 res)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
For those who have towed or are going to tow, do you have a tow hitch recommendation? I’m looking for something blacked out and I’m assuming it’ll also need to have an adjustable drop. The two brands that appear at the top of Google searches are Rhino and BulletProof. I’ll be towing a 7,500 lb wake surfing boat with my Cybertruck, which I received 10 days ago and has absolutely lived up to the hype.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
For those who have towed or are going to tow, do you have a tow hitch recommendation? I’m looking for something blacked out and I’m assuming it’ll also need to have an adjustable drop. The two brands that appear at the top of Google searches are Rhino and BulletProof. I’ll be towing a 7,500 lb wake surfing boat with my Cybertruck, which I received 10 days ago and has absolutely lived up to the hype.

Are you talking about the shank that goes into the receiver on the truck?

The ones that Walmarts often have quite a few in stock?
towing - Walmart.com

If you need adjustable height for multiple known trailers, it's often cheaper and easier to get multiple shanks. U-Haul locations are also good for options. Don't forget that you have some adjustment of the truck height.

Because these are often heavy, they don't make the best candidates for mail order.

up_justin

Site Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
GenY makes great hitches that are height adjustable and practically indestructible. They also look great

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Gen Y is a good hitch, and was highest on my list, but then I switched to Shocker Hitch. https://shockerhitch.com/

I will be pulling a 3.5t RV , this is my latest, most likely :
https://www.ozglide.com.au/
Small need to reset an airbag, and no farking around with a heavy hitch, and IMO some excellent attributes... but expensive.

Depends on your needs, how often you use it, will you be using it with different trailers / different heights ?.
Do you wish to remove a heavy hitch every time, sway, jolts etc etc. Maybe $100 bucks will do the job.

KrennPowerSports

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none yet.
Country flag
make SURE it will fit with out hitting the bumper, they put the hitch so far back that you almost need an extension to work with many of them...

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
make SURE it will fit with out hitting the bumper, they put the hitch so far back that you almost need an extension to work with many of them...
I love the way Tesla kept the hitch forward, as close to the rear axle as possible, it makes trailers more maneuverable when backing and steering. Sure, you have to make sure you have an appropriate ball mount that it works with whatever trailer you are towing, but a hitch mount that is too far rearward doesn't give you the option to go further forward if you want.

aadams1278

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
While the thread isn’t that long yet, I’m surprised no one has suggested BW or Andersen. My intention is to also tow a wake surf boat with my Cybertruck and am waiting to get a nicer adjustable hitch at that time. I have existing trailers that need different height hitches so I do want an adjustable height one.

In my area I see a TON of BW tow and stowhitches. https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/tow-stow-adjustable-ball-mount
It’s the most common by far, and usually on a truck with lifted suspension, hence the need for a drop hitch.

I like the look of Andersen hitches
https://andersenhitches.com/product/rapid-hitch/
since it’s polished aluminum and may look nicer on the Cybertruck, but its aluminum and there are some concerns for its strength vs steel like the BW hitch. I saw at least one photo a while back of an Andersen hitch completely broken in half. I figure with the intense acceleration capability of Cybertruck, it isn’t worth risking with aluminum, so I have been leaning toward BW since then.

Having said that though, I wasn’t aware of most of the brands that have been posted here. Perhaps the glider style would have benefits behind an electric tow vehicle.

Giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla MYP / Cybertruck AWD (VIN assigned)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I've been using a Weigh Safe hitch for many years. They're not cheap, but high quality and they have a tongue weight gauge right on the hitch making it super easy to measure. It's modular so you can mix and match parts to fit different vehicles (currently have a modified "L" to clear my Model Y's bumper). And, yes, they do come in black :)

Trailer & Tow Hitches | Weigh Safe (weigh-safe.com)

jf64k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 MYLR x2, 2024 FS AWD on order
Country flag
I’ve always got them from Walmart or U-Haul. Like someone mentioned above, it’s cheaper to get two different drops from them, than one adjustable drop from the ‘name brands’.

I tend to lean U-Haul…Does anyone know more about how to make tow equipment that won‘t fail, even after being abused by renters, than U-Haul?? haha!!

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/1/Ball-Mounts/

Costco also carries a bunch of adjustable drop: https://www.costco.com/rv-trailers-towing.html

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
Depends on what you are pulling. In most cases you will need to go down an inch or two. Agree with those that think mount is tucked too far under. Reno 4" adjustable 12,500 lbs capacity is what I have and is well made, easily adjustable. A bit large and heavy but so are the rest that are that tough.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
1000008092.jpg
I'm using an Equal-i-zer 12k/1200 4 point sway for my 37 ft travel trailer.
https://amzn.to/3ULHMoA
Camping now (thank you star link) with my 12k Loaded weight Carbon 35 and my Diesel - use a blue ox equalizer....still waiting for truck so have time, but not comfortable that weight distribution hitch is ok for CT? No issues?

Texarado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
’24 CT AWD FS; ’18 Model 3 AWD
Country flag
Camping now (thank you star link) with my 12k Loaded weight Carbon 35 and my Diesel - use a blue ox equalizer....still waiting for truck so have time, but not comfortable that weight distribution hitch is ok for CT? No issues?
Why do you think WDH wouldn’t be ok for CT?

Obecalb

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag

I picked up a forged 2" drop from Home Depot. The shank has a 17K capacity then picked up a 10k ball. Works well. I prefer it over the adjustable since it is smaller to store and less obnoxious if I leave it on the truck.

Dmayo305

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S, 2023 Model X, Awaiting VIN for CT
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
WDH did great on the 28 mile drive home from the dealership. Recognize that 12k is over the limit for CT (11k limit). My rig is 9k empty, 10.7k max loaded. The truck handles it great though, so far.
Sponsored