Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
can you elaborate a little more plz? Did you use the mobile powershare adapter? Or a male to male plug in the 14-50 at the bed? also, do you remember what install cost was for your setup?
Just search the Internet for hooking up a mobile generator to your house. There's a number of transfer panels that will let you do it safely. Don't use a suicide cord.
Sponsored

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Just search the Internet for hooking up a mobile generator to your house. There's a number of transfer panels that will let you do it safely. Don't use a suicide cord.
yea, i have done some research, really like jerry rig everything's video, he has one with a battery pack. anker i think?

OP
OP

johnm6875

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Y & CT
Country flag
can you elaborate a little more plz? Did you use the mobile powershare adapter? Or a male to male plug in the 14-50 at the bed? also, do you remember what install cost was for your setup?
Manual Switch was installed when we built the house, 24 years ago. We plan to install the Powershare when Tesla provides it. The cable is wired directly to the switch then to the male plug. The thickness of the cable (and it's cold) makes our flat plug a little hard to maneuver and "seat" because the receptacle is a bit low in the bed.

Tesla Cybertruck Used Cybertruck to power my house during power outage 20240205_135511

Tesla Cybertruck Used Cybertruck to power my house during power outage 20240205_135340

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
The benefit of PowerShare is that it's automatic. Since you'll keep the truck plugged-in when at home, the gateway will switch over in the event of an outage. (Plus, it's 11kW instead of 9kW).

I have no expectation that it will switch over in milliseconds like a UPS does, however...?
100%. I am wondering what the pricing difference is for the convenience though. $500 wall connector, gateway, install.

vs

Mobile connector, manual switch, install..

I'm going to have to pay attention to my houses pull to see if the 14-50 would be enough. Do we know how much can output through mobile power share plug?

it's interesting how in this first video, the truck goes straight to the load center instead of hitting powerwall first. probably because the meter has backup switch i guess. Maybe with the tax incentives, just getting a powerwall is the way to go lol but then that kinda defeats the purpose for the truck having powershare

Last edited:

rrolsbe

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model 3 RWD
Country flag
My CT hadn't been home 24 hours before our power went out due to a big storm.

I have a cutoff switch with a NEMA 14-50 plug that I usually plug into an ICE generator during power outages. This time I plugged into the CT, turned it on with the app and "no fuss, no muss" the house had power, including the well. It used about 1% per hour through the evening.

We have propane for hot water and heater and, except for the refrigerator, we didn't run our appliances much. Not hearing the generator is delightful. It did turn off after about 10 hours, don't know why, and I turned it back on from the app without any drama.

My granddaughter wanted me to drive her to High School today (lots of heads turned) so I topped up at a supercharger before coming home (power is still out here) so I'm set for the next couple of days if necessary.
What does your cutoff switch entail (are you switching the neutral)? Some people install a device in their service panel that won't allow the breaker for the generator connection to be enabled until the main breaker is switched off. I have read a few posts where Ford Lightning owners attempted to use the bed 240 outlet in the same way you did; however, if I remember correctly, they had a problem because the trucks 240V outlet was bonded (ground and neutral tied together). Since bonding is normally ONLY done at the service panel per code, the truck sensed both were bonded and through an error. I assume the Cybertruck 240V outlet circuit is bonded and is also CFCI? Do you know if the generator you used is bonded or has the neutral floating?

OP
OP

johnm6875

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Y & CT
Country flag
What does your cutoff switch entail (are you switching the neutral)? Some people install a device in their service panel that won't allow the breaker for the generator connection to be enabled until the main breaker is switched off. I have read a few posts where Ford Lightning owners attempted to use the bed 240 outlet in the same way you did; however, if I remember correctly, they had a problem because the trucks 240V outlet was bonded (ground and neutral tied together). Since bonding is normally ONLY done at the service panel per code, the truck sensed both were bonded and through an error. I assume the Cybertruck 240V outlet circuit is bonded and is also CFCI? Do you know if the generator you used is bonded or has the neutral floating?
Unfortunately, I set my system up long ago and can not remember what I learned then. I've posted a picture of the switch that interrupts the line input. The rest of the wiring is buried. My most recent ICE generator is an off the shelf Costco Firman unit from several years back.

whiffleballpractice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Country flag
I'm visiting from the Lightning world with curiosity about how this works on the Cybertruck. Based on OP's picture, it LOOKS like he is just switching the two hots and not the neutral (it appears to be a 2-pole switch, not a 3-pole). This would NOT work with a lightning because of what @gtlimer said.

If someone is feeling adventurous and has a multimeter, I would love to know if ground and neutral are bonded (ie shorted) at the 14-50 outlet.

Pic for reference:
Tesla Cybertruck Used Cybertruck to power my house during power outage 1707183849378

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
The benefit of PowerShare is that it's automatic. Since you'll keep the truck plugged-in when at home, the gateway will switch over in the event of an outage. (Plus, it's 11kW instead of 9kW).

I have no expectation that it will switch over in milliseconds like a UPS does, however...?
FYI, Tom indicates in this excellent video that his Ford switches over from 45 sec to 1 min 30 sec or something.

easytravelman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D signature
Occupation
Hard money lender. real estate and crypto investor
Country flag
This is what I think I'll do. Thanks for being my guinea pig!

I would like to do the real home Powershare but I think a nema 14-50 with cutoff switch would be much cheaper to install. It should hold me over until I can afford the real Powershare lol

How much was it to get installed?
Happily jealous here for you!
[/QUOTE

That is exactly my situation what you described except I am still waiting for my FS. I am in the foothills of Sierra Mountains and we get power outages often. Never bought a generator. But CT power wall along someday with solar will be great.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Anker solix has an auto switch over. We could get 1 solid battery with the smart hub and basically have a buffer for when we need to charge the truck. Come home, use the truck to charge the solix while it powers the house or visa versa.

https://www.anker.com/anker-solix/a1790-pps?ref=A1790111_listing
That is a very cool device.

This guy did a really thorough job of testing and explaining. Impressive load testing on each phase (left & right panels on the device) of the 120s. At one point he indicated when you put it in EV charging mode that it binds the neutral+ground. It'll charge at 24 amps (24 amps × 240 volts = 5760 watts) just with the base unit without the extra battery options.

You can charge it using solar input at the same time it is outputting. You can not charge it using A/C input and output. Probably what you'd expect.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
That is a very cool device.

This guy did a really thorough job of testing and explaining. Impressive load testing on each phase (left & right panels on the device) of the 120s. At one point he indicated when you put it in EV charging mode that it binds the neutral+ground. It'll charge at 24 amps (24 amps × 240 volts = 5760 watts) just with the base unit without the extra battery options.

You can charge it using solar input at the same time it is outputting. You can not charge it using A/C input and output. Probably what you'd expect.

nice! this is the video i was watching

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I haven't been online because, uhh...

...The power is out and so is the network. So despite having a battery and hot water and lights and stuff I have not had the bread and butter of the internet.

Huzzah to @johnm6875 's resilience!

-Crissa

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightng Lariat ER, 2014 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here is my “Unintelligent” backup power installation

I just went simple if power goes out I plug in the truck. Low cost setup.
Tesla Cybertruck Used Cybertruck to power my house during power outage 1665856187741-png-png-png-

Works no problem with the trucks GFI This setup cost me about $1,100.00. I just need to plug truck in and turn it on Pro power. ;) This transfer switch has 10 ciruits that are separate in that I can pick and choose which ciruit I want to run off the truck. 1 240 volt 30amp for the air conditioner(only if needed), 1 120 volt bridgred for kitchen plugs the rest for fridges, sump pump, internet modem WiFi, some computers, and bedroom TV +.
FYI I turn down the Ford Pro charge station to setting #5=48 amps. wired direct to panel with 60amp breaker.
FYI

Tesla Cybertruck Used Cybertruck to power my house during power outage 1669586086988-png-png-

Reliance Controls 30 Amp 7500W 10-Circuit Indoor Transfer Switch Kit
Model # 310CRK|Store SKU # 1001061741 Canadian Home Depot US unit maybe different.
I took the generator connector plug out of the remote outside box, and installed it in the optional position in the transfer switch panel. Since the Lightning has no gas fumes I kept the system all in the garage. The reason it works with the truck's GFI is the ground from the truck is not connected to the transfer panel. Some people have technical issues with that. But if there is a grounding issue the house GFI will detect it and shut of power.
Sponsored