Will the CyberTruck be your First Tesla and/or Electric Vehicle?

Will the CyberTruck be your First Tesla and/or Electric Vehicle?

• Total voters

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How do we reconcile this man's comment (with which, of course, I enthusiastically agree) with the fact that fewer than 1 in 5, presumably, enthusiasts who responded to this poll and only about 1% of the US population drive BEVs?
Availability and price. BEVs aren't available in most vehicle types yet, and all of them cost more upfront than an ICE of the same type. The median new car costs the same as the cheapest Tesla. A five year old Zero costs the same as a new ICE bike of the same power.

Right now, there just aren't enough BEVs for everyone to have even tried one, let alone buy one.

-Crissa
Sponsored

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I had a ford Focus ev with a paltry 80 mile range, which meant more like 50-60 miles in actual range. It was a short distance commuter and I got it for a song. The payment was $150 a month so i was pretty happy. I have free charging at work so it was a sweet deal.
I am really looking forward to the Cybertruck and want to get a lumber rack for it so I can start construction on my retirement home.

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 f150 5.0 customized
Country flag
This will be my first Tesla and first EV. I know a few people who have them and they love them. I’m going to need a new vehicle and we like having a pickup even though we have 3 kids. It’s a must to have the 4 doors.

I’m most excited to not have to worry about oil consumption issues (ahem GM). I’m just hopingproduction starts on time or sooner. My current truck is 2010 but only 105,000 for miles.
My 2019 ford 5.0 uses a quart of oil every 1000 miles lmao

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
How do we reconcile this man's comment (with which, of course, I enthusiastically agree) with the fact that fewer than 1 in 5, presumably, enthusiasts who responded to this poll and only about 1% of the US population drive BEVs?
EV's have only recently become a realistic option for most people. Older EV's sucked big time. A Leaf would be pointless to me. Where I live a Tesla is the only option that wouldn't be a major lifestyle sacrifice due to the charging network, and that only become viable two years ago. I bought my last car 3 years ago. My next car will be electric. I think you'll see that scenario played out many times over. Tesla's offerings and supercharging expand, and as people become due for a new car they switch. I think EV adoption is about to take off exponentially.

robk444

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
This will be my first EV and actually my first pickup. I actually like the looks of it but I'm a function over form kind of person. I love my mini-van as there's been only 1 case where I struggled to fit something in the back (China cabinet).
I love how it's an everything vehicle. Whether it's off-roading/overland camping/hauling lumber/buying some large equipment off craiglist the CT needs no modifications at all (even has a built in ramp).
My biggest worry is that I'm going to regret whichever choice of the Tri/Dual motor I get. If I get the Tri, I'll feel like I overpaid as I don't care about the extra towing/0-60 speed, If I get the Dual there will be situations where I want to camp in the woods for a full week and don't have the battery life to power Fridge/Stove/Projector/etc.
I only put my order in about 2 months ago so I'm going to have to wait a few years for my CT but hopefully there will be enough data on power consumption while camping for these things that I can make a more informed decision.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
My biggest worry is that I'm going to regret whichever choice of the Tri/Dual motor I get. If I get the Tri, I'll feel like I overpaid as I don't care about the extra towing/0-60 speed, If I get the Dual there will be situations where I want to camp in the woods for a full week and don't have the battery life to power Fridge/Stove/Projector/etc.
The average American household uses 30 - 45 kWh/mo and thus about 7 - 11 kWh per week. Those numbers represent 3.5 - 5.5% of the battery capacity of a 200 kWh battery and 14 - 22% of a 100 kWh battery. Unless you wan't to take your pottery kiln with you on a camping trip I doubt very much that you will use anything close to this much of your battery. Thus your camping trips shouldn't be a factor.

You don't even mention range. The Tri will go 200 miles more on a charge than the AWD. Range is the most important factor to prospective BEV owners. And while a current BEV driver knows from his experience that 300 - 350 miles range is really plenty we still lust after the TriMotor's 500. Most agree that a buyer should go for as much range as he is comfortable paying for.

I only put my order in about 2 months ago so I'm going to have to wait a few years for my CT but hopefully there will be enough data on power consumption while camping for these things that I can make a more informed decision.
A good sized camping fridge uses 20 Watts average. That's less than half a kWh/da. Led lights use perhaps 7 W. That's 80 Wh/da if you leave one on 12hr. Even 20 min in a 1 kW microwave oven is only 330 Wh. Thus your choice shouldn't be overly influenced by this aspect of ownership but rather by how many kWh you need to get to and from your campsite. Keep in mind that towing a trailer, even a small one, can have an appreciable effect on consumption.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
great questions.
I have never owned an EV before.
Owning an EV just makes sense on so many levels.

In rough order for me...
1. reduce my carbon footprint
2. minimal maintenance
3. cheap fuel
4. potentially supplying my own fuel with solar on my house
5. range (maybe this should be higher up as it was a deciding factor as to why buying NOW (or at least when the CT is ready))
6. torque and acceleration
7. back up power for my house and the grid (this will happen)
8. Tesla style

I could probably think of a few more, but that's a good start. ;)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Cybertruck was the first EV I've pre-ordered... then I got excited and bought a Model Y while waiting.

Incidentally, I managed to snag my Model Y during the golden window after they'd filled preorders but before demand started to hockey stick. Price has gone up 4 times since I got mine. I can probably sell mine for a few grand more than I paid for it.

NJturtlePower

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3 Stealth Performance
Country flag
Crazy to me on the poll results so far...so many EV virgins, which is nice to see. (y)

Been in the Tesla club since mid-2018 with two different Model 3's now and I could never imagine going back to any kind of ICE vehicle.

I came into my first Tesla from a 2015 Chrysler 300S Hemi, and before that a couple Infiniti G37X sedans, but my first vehicle ever was a 1996 Jeep Cherokee and been waiting for the right vehicle that's the best of both worlds... car like sportiness and truck/SUV badass, that's the Cybertruck! :love:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Crazy to me on the poll results so far...so many EV virgins, which is nice to see. (y)

Been in the Tesla club since mid-2018 with two different Model 3's now and I could never imagine going back to any kind of ICE vehicle.

I came into my first Tesla from a 2015 Chrysler 300S Hemi, and before that a couple Infiniti G37X sedans, but my first vehicle ever was a 1996 Jeep Cherokee and been waiting for the right vehicle that's the best of both worlds... car like sportiness and truck/SUV badass, that's the Cybertruck! :love:
The poll is 18 months old… I wonder how many have gotten their first EV since then.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
We have a MY and just recently purchased the Lightning.

After owning a Y and how easy the transition from ICE to EV was I now understand the most important reason we will only own Tesla's moving forward, unless Tesla opens all charging stations to non Tesla's.

What an absolute mess it is trying to take a trip in a non Tesla. The charging infrastructure sucks out there. We have zero anxiety traveling in our Y and I won't even consider taking a trip in the Lightning. I hate that because the Lightning is roomy and a dream to drive.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
11/25/20 a few months after doing this poll, we bought a Chrystler Pacifica PHEV to get our feet wet. Then, 6 months into the pandemic with a gas prices the lowest in many years, there was very little interest in EVs or PHEVs. But that sure has changed. We really enjoy being able to daily drive about 30 miles electric and then take this van on family road trips as a hybrid with 30mpg.

During the Semi event in December, when Elon mentioned the Cybertruck having the same 1000v powertrain with the possibility of quick charging on road trips, I was Stoked!

In the immortal words of Elon Musk: BRING ON THE CYBERTRUCK!!!

AkaCarioca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y (Nov 22nd 2023), CT (Waiting)
Occupation
Salesforce Advisor Evangelist
Country flag
This will be my 1st.
Sponsored