Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
Sweet A/T tires will only be $1880 extra not 4k like I feared woohoo! (I now estimate everything Tesla by multiplying what I think it will be by 2 so that I no-longer get my hopes up)
Sponsored

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
USAA provides my car insurance also. Super interested in what their rate will be in a couple years when my reservation pops up.
I did a quote today. Wasn't too crazy. Like 176 a month for dual motor if I remember right.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
You aren’t reading my posts. The real pain is depreciation/ the life of the vehicle. Also - your sub 80k ct is a theory at this point. Might be a severely neutered version - street tires, no floor mats, low range, etc. but even that one won’t age well.

like I said - still a lot of fun for wealthy folks.
Depreciation only matters if you sell. 😂

Love2Cyber

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model X, Cyber Tri-Motor
Country flag
Depreciation only matters if you sell. 😂
Depreciation indicates what your vehicle is worth. So yeah - keep it, but know that it is not worth much - for a reason. Find out why it's worth so little when you wind up replacing a battery or a motor.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Depreciation indicates what your vehicle is worth. So yeah - keep it, but know that it is not worth much - for a reason. Find out why it's worth so little when you wind up replacing a battery or a motor.
Oh, we got a psychic now. 🔮

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
You say this, but back it up. Tesla had roughly a 5% failure rate for batteries and motors with early models for the first few years.

However, those were replaced and many of those replacements have now been on the road for 7-8 years.

But lets play in the hypothetical world that you are right and Teslas are built cheap. 8 year warranty on the motors and battery. Motors and batteries that at their worst, were failing in 5% of cars, and the only way it is costing you more on average than anyone else is if you get one of those 5% and the issues magically don't present themselves in 8 years. Because if they do, you get a replacement.

And I would love to see some examples of how Tesla is depreciating faster than other models at all. Electric vehicles on average seem to be holding their value better than their ICE counterparts and Tesla even moreso.

Also while we are on the topic of future worth. Developed nations are pushing towards a complete shift to electric. I have a supercharger in my town and level 3 chargers have been popping up like crazy. Most of these chargers are placed at places I already want to go.

This is already a big reason that people want to switch to electric. Originally no one wanted it because they had no where to charge. Then It was limited Tesla chargers and nothing else. Then Tesla spread like wildfire and third party chargers were sprouting up. In the next 10 years, it will be an inconvenience to have to go to a gas station. Even people who can't charge at home will charge at work, or the mall, or the grocery store. ICE vehicle owners will have to check google maps to find the nearest gas station that's still open.

Obviously i'm exaggerating that last part for emphasis. But it's never been a secret that gas stations don't make their money from selling gas. Gas stations make about $100 - $500 a day from gas. They make money off the convenience sales and the car washes. When the majority of cars on the road are electric, they will likely reduce/eliminate their pumps, set up fast chargers, and probably partner with fast food chains since people will be there for 15-20 minutes anyway. Either that or gas stations will just go out of business and fast food places will set up fast chargers.

Lets not forget that gas could very well see a rise in price. With lower demand, they will make less and could see increases in the cost per barrel with a smaller scale of production. I know in Canada, EV's were sold out by the time gas went up to $2.00 a liter.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Truck people care about money / won’t be buying this thing.
Everyone, even the wealthy, care about money to a certain extent. And I'm going to call you out on the idea that "truck people" won't be bying the Cybertruck. Sure, most truck people don't have early reservations but that doesn't mean they won't step up and buy one, once they can get it in 30 days or less.

The evidence for this is that the average transaction price, before tax and license, of a pickup truck in the U.S. is right arount $65K-$66K using very recent numbers. That's over 99% ICE pickups, not enough EV pickups have been sold to move the needle. EV pickups are worth more. Keep in mind, that $65K-$66K is for pickups that are expensive to keep on the road with gas (especially) and oil and filters and, a after the warranty, a long list of expenses.

To think tradesmen who care about money won't be spending $80K to save a few thousand a year and be driving one of the best light trucks out there is so wrong I don't know how to convince you otherwise except to say, "watch with awe and shock". First we have to burn through existing $100 reservations will likely take about a year, maybe a bit longer. As this happens, the price will drop and everyone and their brother will want one (except for those know-nothings too set in their ways to know that it's the best thing going for regular folks who want a brand new truck.

The used ICE truck will continue to be the best deal for those on tight budgets who don't do big miles.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I hope those steering actuators last the life of the vehicle. Never had to replace a rack and pinion on any of my vehicles ever and it would have been a fraction of that cost. I doubt steer by wire is worth it off they need to be replaced.
Well made actuators are super reliable with the only moving parts being sealed bearings. The most likely problem is at the electrical connector and Tesla knows this so they use top quality, corrosion resistant connectors. Of course, any connector can fail, but a quality connector is well sealed when installed properly to begin with.

Steer by wire is totally worth it for the low speed maneuverability and versatility when it comes to tailoring the steering ratio to immediate needs.

Vehicles have continued to use technology to become better vehicles and, while there have been some misteps along the way, the gains since the 1970's are something to celebrate. Welcome to the 21st century! Leave it to Tesla to bring the rest of the industry along for the ride. They are silently cursing under their breaths that a young upstart has the audacity to humiliate them in ways they can't do anything about for years.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Well made actuators are super reliable with the only moving parts being sealed bearings. The most likely problem is at the electrical connector and Tesla knows this so they use top quality, corrosion resistant connectors. Of course, any connector can fail, but a quality connector is well sealed when installed properly to begin with.

Steer by wire is totally worth it for the low speed maneuverability and versatility when it comes to tailoring the steering ratio to immediate needs.

Vehicles have continued to use technology to become better vehicles and, while there have been some misteps along the way, the gains since the 1970's are something to celebrate. Welcome to the 21st century! Leave it to Tesla to bring the rest of the industry along for the ride. They are silently cursing under their breaths that a young upstart has the audacity to humiliate them in ways they can't do anything about for years.
I can’t think of many electronic actuators that take the constant beating that the wheels of a truck will but I am not a mechanical engineer. I think the actuators increase the complexity of a simple well refined system that was basically bullet proof. I don’t have an issue turning a wheel a couple extra times. I can see how turn less and computer/power assisted turning is nice, but if it adding $10k to the vehicle, I would greatly take simple and reliable over high tech and costly. But maybe I’m just not sold on it yet.

JWass

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The difference? Diesel trucks go a million miles, these will plummet in value at 100k
The ICE trucks that I’m talking about aren’t diesel dude. Who said they were diesel? The trucks these contractors are buying aren’t all diesel. The majority are gas. So, they’re not going a million miles. They’re selling used real cheap. Real cheap. These are facts.

Reactions: REM

XCeilidhX

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model S, awaiting CT RN112786958
Country flag
My Model S was (I believe) the third 60 kWh off the assembly line in Fremont. It has 125k miles on it. I replaced the motor at about 101k miles and the whole battery at about 108k miles so the 10th year of ownership was the expensive one after the initial upfront payment price. TCO for a luxury sedan with the performance it has even when I factor in very frequent tire replacements is WAAAAY cheaper than any ICE vehicles I have ever owned, especially when i factor in the cost of 125k miles of gasoline in CA vs the cost of the electricity I used, plus the bonus of not needing to send american troops to risk their lives to fight for the fuel I used and the fuel pollutes far less when the total production of the energy is considered. So keep a rainy day fund for some sudden big expenses at the 8-12 years of ownership mark but my overall experience has been TCO far lass than ICE cars and my enjoyment of the vehicle has been far higher and the performance has been far higher and I sleep better not fueling wars or polluting the atmosphere has been my experience. As far as resale value, we’ll see when I go to trade it in for my CB. I’ll try to remember to post that when it happens. Willing to bet it will be better than the Kia Sportage I traded in for the Model S though! Just my two cents.

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
The ICE trucks that I’m talking about aren’t diesel dude. Who said they were diesel? The trucks these contractors are buying aren’t all diesel. The majority are gas. So, they’re not going a million miles. They’re selling used real cheap. Real cheap. These are facts.
That is true in parts and not true in parts.

A contractor that needs to haul an equipment trailer currently can ONLY look at diesels, the Ford F250/F350 or similar from the other major brands. The F250 diesel will do 12-16 mpg, my 3/4 ton gas Avalanche in the same mode does 6 mpg. That is the difference between gas and diesel.

The 1/2 ton truck is typically limited to 7000-8000 lb towing. The 3/4 ton truck may do 18,000 lb towing. Cybertruck 2 and 3 motor versions appear intermediate here with 11,000 lbs towing.

F250s are EXPENSIVE I hear the configurations typically bought are running around $100k. Contractors who pull trailers certainly are going to be looking at the 2 motor Cybertruck. How many of them reject it because of the 11k limit on trailer weight is another question.
Sponsored

Last edited: