With recent reports of CT issues, 2nd thoughts anyone?

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
As long as not primary transportation, worst case is you get towed / out of service for fix...none of us want to go through that but not end of world! Agree with above - forum amplifies bad things and odds are you'll have some things happen but prob not be bricked on the side of the road.

4 years, we're almost there! I haven't given any consideration to delaying my beast! Please be a VIN when I check my phone! :cool:
Sponsored

OP
OP

Futam84

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
As an “early adopter” I am fully prepared for oddities, misbehavior, and general weirdness.

If that’s beyond your comfort zone, then skip the Foundation series and wait until most of the kinks are ironed out.
I have always seen myself as an early adopter as well. Dealing with software issues (radio doesn't work, full self driving doesn't work, etc... all seem normal for Beta), but the inability to drive the vehicle and potentially major safety issues on a freeway seem like more than early adopter issues to me. However maybe these are much more isolated incidences than they seem. What's your opinion about where to draw the line between early adopter issues (which can actully be fun to be part of the solution) and big functional problems? Specifically, I'm referring to this type of issue that several others are supposedly having ().

A lot of good points in these reposnes though. I bought an early 2018 (showroom floor model) model 3 and had very few "big problems" with it. Dare I say that I kind of enjoyed tesla drving out and fixing the little ones :).

Last edited:

djobleezy

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
IMO: Don't fall sway to FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt). "Fear is the mind-killer."
I am inclined to believe that these issues are not widespread and are exacerbated by the echo dome and passion of this community.
To be clear, I acknowledge these concerns are valid and warrant attention/quick service by Tesla but I would personally find it a stretch to think that all of the FS units produced are with fatal problems. Just my two cents

Nidavellir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-Order CyberTruck
Country flag
It is a Beta Series. I received the invite to order in December but I have the patience to wait for the Non Beta Series so I will not have to deal with the inconveniences and headaches of a newly released model vehicle. It is just a bonus to save the $25K by waiting.

jditom

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 MYP 2023 LRMY CT second VIN in route
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m not concerned.

Same happened with the MY rollout in 2020.

If the forums were to be believed: the glass roofs were flying off, all the rear motors on the MYP’s were failing, the heat pumps were defective, the tie rod bolts were missing the castle nuts, etc, etc.

Now, did SOME MYs have those issues? Yes, absolutely. But my two 2020 MY’s have been absolutely trouble-free since delivery. Best cars I’ve ever owned.

I can’t wait for my FS AWD!!
I also have a 2020 MYP and it had a few items which were minor fixes. My wife's 2023 MY is perfect.
I got a CT VIN AWD and if it has a few issues I will deal with them.

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
If it is your primary method of transportation I would wait given the large number of failures.

If you want a fun truck while it is new pay the extra $20k and realize it is a fun test car for short trips around town where if it breaks it is no big deal.

My son's broke on a road trip, was a mess. But I am still getting one because it will be a 3rd or 4th vehicle and driven for fun as it was designed.

Tesla Cybertruck With recent reports of CT issues, 2nd thoughts anyone? 45634786585232024

Nidavellir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-Order CyberTruck
Country flag
It's age old for some people to want to avoid the first year of a new vehicle platform. Calling it beta and patting yourself on the back for waiting is kind of a cheap jab at community members here who are early owners.
No, it is just called patience.

Negative, it is not beta, else they would have called it beta.
They could not charge an extra $25K if they called it Beta Series.
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck

slomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There's no reason CT won't be as reliable as any other vehicle once the initial issues are worked through. The Model Y was reliable after less than a year of production.

Even today many early owners have vehicles that will be completely reliable. With any new model from any manufacturer I would put a couple thousand miles on the vehicle before setting off on a long trip

Cybertruck2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
If it is your primary method of transportation I would wait given the large number of failures.

If you want a fun truck while it is new pay the extra $20k and realize it is a fun test car for short trips around town where if it breaks it is no big deal.

My son's broke on a road trip, was a mess. But I am still getting one because it will be a 3rd or 4th vehicle and driven for fun as it was designed.

45634786585232024.png
If this vehicle is to be driven for fun and not a primary vehicle, then Tesla is in big trouble. I hope you're the only one with this viewpoint, because if it's commonly shared amongst the public, this thing won't hit the F-150 numbers Tesla is hoping for.

Mine will be replacing my F-150 and it will be an everyday driver. I imagine 98% of them being bought will be everyday drivers too.

jf64k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 MYLR, 2024 FSCT AWD on order
Country flag
If this vehicle is to be driven for fun and not a primary vehicle, then Tesla is in big trouble. I hope you're the only one with this viewpoint, because if it's commonly shared amongst the public, this thing won't hit the F-150 numbers Tesla is hoping for.

Mine will be replacing my F-150 and it will be an everyday driver. I imagine 98% of them being bought will be everyday drivers too.
Same here. I will sell my 2020 MYLR after I take delivery of my FS AWD and have it tinted/wrapped. The CT will be my one and only (until the next new shiny thing comes along, haha!!)

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I’m not concerned.

Same happened with the MY rollout in 2020.

If the forums were to be believed: the glass roofs were flying off, all the rear motors on the MYP’s were failing, the heat pumps were defective, the tie rod bolts were missing the castle nuts, etc, etc.

Now, did SOME MYs have those issues? Yes, absolutely. But my two 2020 MY’s have been absolutely trouble-free since delivery. Best cars I’ve ever owned.

I can’t wait for my FS AWD!!
Same, my wife’s very early 2020 MY has been awesome.

djobleezy

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
@Great Bay Shark He is asking about second thoughts on taking delivery… FUD applies given the context. Fairly certain it’s clear this IS an investment with extracted value in the form of a daily driver or a usable family car or the engagement that funds UGC channels... It’s a battery platform on wheels that also happens to be the hottest car out there. Yes cars are depreciating assets, but that’s already a given.

Last edited:

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
Same, my wife’s very early 2020 MY has been awesome.
I’ve been as obsessed …

HOWEVER, is anybody else getting a bit nervous about getting a foundation series with all of the issues that are being reported? These stories of vehicles dying within the first several miles is unnerving. …

Anybody else actually giving this some real consideration?
I’ll admit, despite being obsessed with getting my CT for 4+ years, the thought that I was glad I wasn’t getting one right now did cross my mind. But I got the email yesterday and IMMEDIATELY configured for a FS Beast with all the fixings. I figure the “late 2024” delivery will have given them nearly a year to fix the bugs. And personally, I don’t see the FS series as costing an extra $20K, it’s only a handful of $K more than what I would have paid for upgrades anyway. And I plan to travel a lot that first year so free supercharging will be worth some serious $$.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
I’m waiting for my VIN as well (placed my FS order/configuration 89 days ago), but from what I’ve read in other threads, it seems like Tesla allows you to keeps your $1k deposit and change your order from FS to regular. Not sure what I’m going to do yet but am really giving it some serious thought now… Of course, if when I check the app for the 50th time tonight it told me I had a VIN, I’m sure I’d cave like a baby and immediately pay in full through the app, hoping that would get me the vehicle more quickly!
I understand your hesitation. I r had no problems with my truck so far but the issues others are having sometimes makes me think it’s coming lol. Please, DO NOT pay in full before you see and inspect your truck, if you make it that far. Paying in full does absolutely nothing. It has no impact on getting your truck sooner, and if you decide afterwards you don’t want to go through with it, there may be a problem getting your money back. Good luck!
Sponsored