Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Am I the only one who wants to see inside the frunk?

Isn't it odd that the frunk has never been opened in public? What's up with that?

What are they hiding under there? Hmmmm?

I mean, Elon said they have the final design finished.

So, OPEN THE FREAKING FRUNCK PLEASE!!

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Frunk Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 8.37.35 AM

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Frunk Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 8.38.35 AM

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Frunk Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 8.39.25 AM
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Maybe because all of the Tesla frunks are pretty similar. It wasnā€™t until the Ford Lightning that anyone went further with the frunk space, adding power and USB outlets, drains, and premised specialty sections. Perhaps Tesla was thinking that people would just use it to store things.

Then again, we havenā€™t seen ā€˜anythingā€™ about the final design - only the prototype, and for certain there will be a lot to see.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The hood may not have be bolted on. The early Model S concept vehicle that was shown to the public had the hood attached with magnets.

Judging by prior Teslaā€™s I donā€™t expect anything to be radically different under the hood.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe because all of the Tesla frunks are pretty similar. It wasnā€™t until the Ford Lightning that anyone went further with the frunk space, adding power and USB outlets, drains, and premised specialty sections. Perhaps Tesla was thinking that people would just use it to store things.

Then again, we havenā€™t seen ā€˜anythingā€™ about the final design - only the prototype, and for certain there will be a lot to see.

It may not be bolted on and it was empty under the hood. The early Model S concept vehicle that was shown to the public had the hood attached with magnets.

Judging by prior Teslaā€™s I donā€™t expect anything to be radically different under the hood.

C'mon man! If Ford and Rivian can have their prototypes more accessible, like the frunk, Tesla can surely get this done.

For crying out loud.....:rolleyes:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
C'mon man! If Ford and Rivian can have their prototypes more accessible, like the frunk, Tesla can surely get this done.

For crying out loud.....:rolleyes:
I've got my small violins out...

Different companies do things differently. I'm on your side but I guess I am, at least this morning, dealing with it. Think of it this way, as long as Tesla doesn't show the official version they have the flexibility to change things. If you are happy with what they 'have' guaranteed then you should only be happier with the real thing.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've got my small violins out...
You must be very talented to play multiple violins ?

Different companies do things differently.
And some things they do pretty much the same. Tesla is different mostly because of Elon Musk.
As Sandy Munro has pointed out there is room for improvement. Build quality has been somewhat lacking with Tesla models. They are improving though.

Tesla has some of the best engineers I hear. They are capable of making a current prototype based on their final design.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag

And some things they do pretty much the same. Tesla is different mostly because of Elon Musk.
As Sandy Munro has pointed out there is room for improvement. Build quality has been somewhat lacking with Tesla models. They are improving though.

Tesla has some of the best engineers I hear. They are capable of making a current prototype based on their final design.
I'd rather they just built the thing.

I think they should have power outlets in it at least.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
The only image I've seen is the one displayed during the event in 2019.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Frunk imgj_1574790480

Kinda low res as it's a picture of a smaller picture on distant screen. I'm not sure what the light colored thing is, SS reflecting? Idk!

As a point of interest, there's also wheel well pillars for storage! These always get forgotten about.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Frunk have-you-noticed-that-the-tesla-cybertruck-has-sail-pillar-storages

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Yeah I remember the frunk convo.
This is what 400l of frunk volume looks like on the CT. (Thats the same volume as the Lightning frunk.) This is only between the front wheel arches so they can still turn.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Frunk 1627749721788

Note the front door is 1100mm wide, which means that if the front seat backrest is in line with the b pillar, even a 7ft passenger would not be able to reach the front of the door with their toes. Everything in front of the door is space for peripherals. Like this you still have 300l in front of the frunk for radiators behind the grill and bumper, and another 500l or so under frunk itself for more stuff, without even using the space inbetween the frunk and the cabin firewall, and disregarding the space around the top of the wheel wells.

The frunk photo shows a fairly slim rim around the front edge, and I'm thinking thats maybe a bag, or a sleeping bag or two in the frunk picture.

I hope its at least 300l and has a bunch of AC plugs. A fridge compartment would be nice (or maybe one in the cab)

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Sure, I'm curious of the CT frunk but I'm curious how often it will actually get used by me or other people.

Excuse me while I rant all of the idea of usable frunk, any frunk.

The F150 Lightning/Mach-E frunk is supposedly all set up for working and tailgating but that doesn't make sense to me. The grill is away from the vehicle because of grease and smoke. The tailgate party should be open to the park/stadium/event and not looking at the front of my truck. There's a drink tray and a drain plug. So when someone party fouls in my truck, I can hose it out at home??!? NO! Drink your beer in your beach chair or... I don't know, keep the bottle in your hand.

I'm not doing work out of my trunk. If it's paperwork, it's in the cab (well played Ford on this one though I worry that the gear shifter might go down one time and not come up). If it's manual labor I'm using tools on the site or sawhorse/tabletop away from the truck.

I feel like the whole frunk as a place is a shortcut to the male, child ego (mine is alive and well). "Oh, it's the cool little space, I can make a fort of this and then I can play army and even light off firecrackers in my frunk." The reality is that it's a secured, spacious space with lighting. That's great for putting your grill, cooler, and chairs in and when you get there, taking them out. Sure, I'd leave the cooler in there as it's a good height and nothing will spill but that's it.

/end rant.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Glad you acknowledged my talent, but anyone can do it :)

There was never any question as to whether Tesla 'can' do it. They just don't. Just like they don't advertise and maybe for similar reasons as I surmised before. As soon as you show something you have made a commitment. This is going to go our way I think, but the price is our sanity.

MidnightMaker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Dual Motor
Occupation
CNC Operator
Country flag
I'm happy to have as much secure storage as possible. The vault is half of the reason I ordered a dual-motor. I live in Seattle and people steal stuff out of your truck all the time. I can even separate the storage spaces into categories to make it easier to find stuff. I plan on camping out of mine. We'll see how that develops based on access through to the cab, aftermarket products, etc.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
I could care less about the looks of the Phrunk as long as I can eliminate using up bed space for a tool box.Tie down chains, binders, tow straps, grease gun, muddy boots and the rest of my greasy, nasty tools make a mess. As long as it can be cleaned out and has a drain plug. Hopefully it will be rugged enough to toss tools into and not a carpet lined car like trunk. Unless well protected, gadgets like lighting, usb ports, power and air outlets will just get in the way. My preference is that they keep it as simple as a Rubbermaid garbage can.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I find it funny people talk like a frunk is a waste of space, and never get used. I like what Dirt Worker said. Throw tools or equipment you want separated from other things, in there. I keep 2 sets of golf clubs in my Toyota Avalon trunk as storage, unless I need the space for something else, all the time.
Also, that space looks big enough for a spare tire. Those wheels will be heavy, but dammit I want a spare!
I agree, show us the frunk!

Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
All I can say about the frunk is that Motortrend (who saw and got hands-on with the Cybertruck before the public) said the trunk was either "small" or "tiny" I can't remember which they used off the top of my head. I think a small frunk makes sense considering the CT's hood is like 2 feet long.
Sponsored