First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Speak for yourself.

Lots of people will not accept huge price increases. A fair number can't afford them.

The singlemost reason I'm super interested in the Cybertruck is the price/ value. If that goes away, I'll just wait it out with my existing cars until EVs come down to reasonable prices.
Sponsored

Space Gold

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75 FSD, 1992 Volvo 240
Occupation
Bioinformatics
Country flag
Dual AWD 300 mile = $60k
Dual AWD 500 mile = $75k
Quad Plaid 500 mile = $105k
This is the closest to what I expect long term, hopefully with some grandfathering in or partial discount for reservation holders. But to be sure they’ll position a middle model to build and sell in the greatest volumes.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
If they axe the base model and increase the cost of the AWD version, then the 15% or so people who signed up for the base truck end up paying extra… or more.

Its a bad look.
The way I see it is that the dual motor isn't replacing the single motor. It's the single motor that's just getting dropped. According to the tracker the single motor wasn't popular, far lower than 15%.

$50k for the dual motor is what they announced at the unveil for the dual motor and what I stated in the post. Though I fear $60k could be a possibility.

Last edited:

jcryer3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Ram Promaster
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I think the smarter approach will be adding options. That has not been the Tesla approach because they want the efficiency in manufacturIng. Have you ever tried to build a Porsche online? Some options could be 4 wheel turning, motorized bed cover, solar panels, wheels, additIonal body components, etc. A lot of the options could be installed at the service centers. I fully expect a creative approach, not the typical one. Ford dealers are screwing over customers with added markup over sticker. Tesla will be customer friendly. We are living with inflation that was not caused by Tesla.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I think the smarter approach will be adding options. That has not been the Tesla approach because they want the efficiency in manufacturIng. Have you ever tried to build a Porsche online? Some options could be 4 wheel turning, motorized bed cover, solar panels, wheels, additIonal body components, etc. A lot of the options could be installed at the service centers. I fully expect a creative approach, not the typical one. Ford dealers are screwing over customers with added markup over sticker. Tesla will be customer friendly. We are living with inflation that was not caused by Tesla.
With EVs more options should be easier. I think there will be 2 battery sizes with a standard interface with the mega casting drive trains. There will also be a standardize attachment point for the 4WS between the 2 or 3 rear castings.

As you said the bolt on stuff could be done by the service centers or after it rolls off the main line.

I see more options with the CT.

If they did production runs of 10,000 units between change ups, that would be manageable.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
With EVs more options should be easier. I think there will be 2 battery sizes with a standard interface with the mega casting drive trains. There will also be a standardize attachment point for the 4WS between the 2 or 3 rear castings.

As you said the bolt on stuff could be done by the service centers or after it rolls off the main line.

I see more options with the CT.

If they did production runs of 10,000 units between change ups, that would be manageable.
This touches on something I have been thinking about lately. Up until now.. you buy a Tesla vehicle. At point of purchase you choose dual motor, tri motor, plaid. That is what you have for the rest of ownership of that car.

With the introduction of dual motor/quad motor CT using standardized castings, I could see there being an aftermarket tuner/upgrade installer path where you buy used/working motors cannibalized from damaged/totaled vehicles and turn your dual motor CT into a tri or quad motor CT! Sure there will need to be additional drivetrain elements installed/swapped as well, but where there is a will there is a way. I think this would be a nice entryway for the traditional tuners and mechanics who hot rod stuff to transition to EV. As long as the front/rear castings are standardized enough for interchangeability of dual/tri/quad motor setups.

Then you've got your officially registered dual motor ct vin that has been hot rodded to a quad motor while still being registered as a dual motor. Or better yet, turn your dual motor CT into a quad plaid CT.

All depending upon Tesla's vehicle software being able to recognize and unlock the extra motors for the proper functionality.

Ideally, Tesla service centers could offer this OEM upgrade similar to how many Harley dealerships will do Stage 1-4 tuning upgrades. I do not think Tesla service centers would do this though as they are not really for down and dirty work, but basic maintenance.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The way I see it is that the dual motor isn't replacing the single motor. It's the single motor that's just getting dropped. According to the tracker the single motor wasn't popular, far lower than 15%.

$50k for the dual motor is what they announced at the unveil for the dual motor and what I stated in the post. Though I fear $60k could be a possibility.
I've seen a lot of numbers. This article suggests it's as much as 17% opting for single motor. Others say it's around 7-8%. Since Tesla doesn't share, it's all a bit of a dark art.

If you ordered the single motor, then the dual motor is absolutely the closest substitute for it.

My point is just that those people already have a $10k increase from what they originally ordered which is bitter pill to swallow, increasing the price of the dual motor as well is a double insult.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It was 15% at launch. Since it's been clear it would be produced last, and those buyers are the most price conscious; it makes sense for them to be less likely to make a reservation. The current proportion is very distorted by now.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I took a look across all of teslas vehicles and came up with a decent pricing prediction based on what everything else is priced at. Feel free to leave your thoughts but i can see this being the actual final pricing based on what the lineup pricing is currently at. I think it would be fair to say that the cybertruck would be less expensive than the two top dogs S & X but more expensive than the Y & 3.

S PLAID PRICING: $130K
X PLAID PRICING: $126K

Y PERFORMANCE: $64K
3 PERFORMANCE: $59K

CYBERTRUCK PREDICTED PRICING:

CYBERTRUCK PLAID: $90K-$110K
QUAD MOTOR NONE PLAID: $70K- $80K

Would love to hear your thoughts.
thats about my limit.....I am not going to get FSD at these prices (12K)...reaching my comfort zone.....Have 2020 MS and 2019 M3....both paid for and I own Tesla stock, but I just cant see spending much more...... I know the Tesla truck is going to appreciate so my son will enjoy it when I bite the dust

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Something that every single person who is predicting higher prices than what was offered during the launch is forgetting or maybe never understood to begin with, is one of the fundamental reasons is that, by not going with a traditional body on frame approach and instead, using the Exoskeleton design along with 4680 cells, Front and Rear Castings, Structural Battery Pack and no Paint are all specifically a part of the design for the Cybertruck to be produced at a lower cost than traditional Trucks.

We need to stop comparing the Cybertruck to what we have known in the past. Tesla does not think in terms of the past. Tesla is a disruptor and will shock the world with the technology, features and performance at a price point that will be unheard of in the automotive industry.

Tesla has continued to offer breakthrough technology with every new model that has been introduced at lower and lower price points than what the competition is offering. Why would any of us think that Tesla wouldn't continue this with the best vehicle they will have launched?

KCD

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Rubicon, 2020 Kia Telluride
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't need a race truck but I could use some additional range that the tri/quad motor would provide. I plan on pulling a travel trailer and the extra range would be beneficial with the added weight. I would be happy to pay a bit more for a long range dual motor CT.

OP
OP

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
as a model 3 owner for 3 years now, i think autopilot is plenty that i need for my daily drives and even roadtrips compared to the $12k FSD. ive used on my moms car on a trip and yes it is very convenient but for $12k i think i would stick to autopilot that allows me to enjoy the car while still being hands free on the highway

OP
OP

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
i think i will only pull the trigger on a plaid CT if the range is higher. i own a 2018 RWD LR 3 and a 2019 performance 3 and yea the performance is amazing but do i NEED it? not at all. the 5 seconds on my 2018 RWD is plenty. at this point a 4 sec 0-60 with 400 plus range is what i hope for. everyone that owns a tesla can agree that no one gets the advertised 300 miles. max ive gotten and that driving only speed limit is between 260 and 270 if im lucky.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
It is just too early to make any decision. All of the speculation is useless. We don’t know about the final line up, specifications, pricing, etc. will be. My gut wants a Quad, but my wallet stretched at pricing a Tri. When Tesla gives us the valuable information then I’ll make the decision.

Fortunately I ordered FSD at $7,000. If it is truly FULL self driving at the time I am to configure it in my truck then. It won’t be worth that price, and certainly not worth an outrageous $12,000, if not real FSD.

Last edited:

787drvr

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Performance Model 3, Kia Sportage
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Country flag
I took a look across all of teslas vehicles and came up with a decent pricing prediction based on what everything else is priced at. Feel free to leave your thoughts but i can see this being the actual final pricing based on what the lineup pricing is currently at. I think it would be fair to say that the cybertruck would be less expensive than the two top dogs S & X but more expensive than the Y & 3.

S PLAID PRICING: $130K
X PLAID PRICING: $126K

Y PERFORMANCE: $64K
3 PERFORMANCE: $59K

CYBERTRUCK PREDICTED PRICING:

CYBERTRUCK PLAID: $90K-$110K
QUAD MOTOR NONE PLAID: $70K- $80K

Would love to hear your thoughts.
if these numbers end up being accurate then I’m definitely OUT. Part of the allure for me was in fact the price point.
Sponsored