Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Excuse me..... Ford is ahead of Tesla? in what delusion? Meth or fentanyl?
Ford is likely to ship in the ballpark of on time.

For the moment anyhow, that puts them by default ahead. It’s like winning by forfeit. You are shipping something when the other guy is shipping nothing… you have a better product.

I’m not buying an F-150, but after years of listening to people compare Teslas shipping products to every concept car and pre-production EV on the market, it gets a little stale listening to people talk about how much better some other **not shipping** product is.

I think we’re all going to love the Cybertruck when it ships, but for the moment, Ford deserves their moment in the sun. I thought Rivian was going to bask for at least a year as king of the EV pile, but it seeming very much like their glory is going to be short-lived and Ford is going to dominate the truck EV space as well as the ICE truck space for at least this year.
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
EXACTLY! Like if they said Rivian is ahead of Tesla on the EV pickup race then I’d certainly agree only because Rivian is the first one out of the bunch to deliver a product even if it’s just a dozen…but they’re out in the wild now.
yes and while Rivian got to market first with a different product, it's not direct CT competition, so it didn't get to market first with a work truck. Ford still may, but it's not the better product.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You mean Chevy and Ford… the companies that had to idle their truck production lines for weeks at a time due to the chip shortage and are still running below capacity? Both which have seen 4 consecutive years of vehicle sales declines?

Chevy/ GM… the company that produced 26 EVs last quarter? Not 2600 or 26,000… 26? Are we thinking about the same company here?

Regardless… whatever happens to the Cybertruck has nothing to do with them and everything to do with Tesla’s willingness to follow through. Considering how much Musk is personally invested in this project, it is going to happen.

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I beg to differ with you, but.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.'

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
No Kidding! CT never had any chance at production in 2021. Even getting a few out in 2022 always seemed doubtful. In an interview a couple months ago Musk all but confirmed this when he said Tesla wouldn't spend a $million per vehicle to get a new vehicle out for a deadline.
You'd have to be pretty delusional to miss all the evidence of sales not happening this year. The CT4 is going to be produced first yet no one even has a preorder for it yet.
Every new production vehicle costs millions per vehicle until production Ramos up and all that RD, factory, tooling cost gets absorbed. Musk clearly has a production path and he stated that it just makes way more sense to focus on ramping up the model y production because they perfected it and they have a huge back order.

NewUser

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW 2013 GTI
Country flag
I would love to take this off-roading at the Mall, and most likely I will. But I will Also use it as weekend Warrior and a grocery getter and actual off road vehicle. Because who doesnt want their truck to be F-ing Bullet Proof.

sirfartsalot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Baldar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot, Toyota MR2 Spyder
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I must confess, I'm in 2 pre-order queues: CT and Rivian. I'm not at the head of either line. My preference 4 to 1 is the CT -- 1st because it's just badass and 2nd because of the 500 mile range (3 motor). However, if Rivian gives me the "Come on Down" call and Tesla is still musing about what might be...
I want an E-Truck ASAP.

Wpsinc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
that’s okay - I want to check out the Rivian and the eHummer anyways. I love Tesla but Elon need competition to focus on being less capricious

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
Tesla delays initial production of Cybertruck to early 2023 -source

Source: https://www.reuters.com/technology/...tion-cybertruck-early-2023-source-2022-01-13/

SAN FRANCISCO, Jan 13, 2022 6:54 PM EST (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) aims to start initial production of its much-anticipated Cybertruck by the end of the first quarter of 2023, pushing back its plan to begin production late this year, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters on Thursday.

The person said the delay comes as Tesla is changing features and functions of the electric pickup to make a compelling product as competition heats up in the segment.

Tesla is expected to make limited production of the Cybertruck in the first quarter of 2023 before increasing output, the source said.

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Tesla, the world's top electric car maker, makes electric sedans and sport utility vehicles but has missed out on the pickup truck segment, which is profitable and hugely popular in America.

Ford Motor Co (F.N) and Rivian Automotive (RIVN.O) are ahead of Tesla in launching electric pickups.

Ford said early this month it will nearly double annual production capacity for its red-hot F-150 Lightning electric pickup to 150,000 vehicles ahead of its arrival this spring at U.S. dealers.

Ford's market value breached $100 billion for the first time on Thursday when Tesla shares fell 6.7% and Rivian slumped 7.1%. read more

CEO Elon Musk, who unveiled the futuristic vehicle in 2019, had already delayed its production from late 2021 to late 2022.

Musk has said he will provide an updated product road map on Tesla's Jan. 26 earnings call.

"Oh man, this year has been such a supply chain nightmare & it's not over!," he tweeted in late November, when asked about the Cybertruck.

Tesla recently removed a reference to its production schedule from its Cybertruck order website. Last month, the website said, "You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in 2022." Now "in 2022" has been omitted.

Tesla plans to produce the Cybertruck at its factory in Texas, which is expected to start production of Model Y cars early this year.
I swear I would be an old man by the time Tesla starts production of the CT and by the time I get my CT. This does give me more time to start building my car collection and invest money to buy this vehicle in cash. However, if this delay is true, I would be now waiting for Spring 2025 instead of Spring of next year, or Spring of 2024. Really love the timelines of Tesla not being consistent here.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
An incredible truck requires incredible care and attention,
Incredible planning and manufacturing time and therefore incredible patience,
Then incredible down payment and incredible cash outlay,
Then incredible satisfaction.
We're at step 1 of like 10.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
An incredible truck requires incredible care and attention,
Incredible planning and manufacturing time and therefore incredible patience,
Then incredible down payment and incredible cash outlay,
Then incredible satisfaction.
We're at step 1 of like 10.
Incredible post.

But we’re at step 6 or so, and if the 4680 cells are far enough along to ship in the Model Y out of Austin, that puts us on step 7, and it’s Musk’s pet project so it’s likely to go all the way to step 11.
Sponsored