Bar Keepers Friend stains on bumper

wheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 MYLR, 2024 CTAWD
Country flag
So I cleaned my CT 2 days after delivery, with Bar Keepers Friend and Windex, following the instruction from Coleton on Out of Spec Detailing. Basically, It is wet sanding the panels with BKF using the softer side of Scotch Brite, then wiping off the muddy sanding dust with Scott Shop Towels and microfiber towels that wetted by Windex. I used about a half bottle of BKF and almost 1 bottle of Windex for the whole CT. When most of the dust are wiped off, It is better to switch to microfiber towel, and make sure it is wet enough to leave the panel wet after wiping, then let it dry by itself for the best result, as Coleton mentioned. (Many thanks to Coleton!)

In the photo below, the right panel was almost done. The left ones showed how a new CT looked like after 2 days of commuting.

Tesla Cybertruck Bar Keepers Friend stains on bumper 图片_20240319194403

And I did not fully cleaned the BKF that dripped on bumpers. 4 days later I found they became white stains, which can not be removed by Windex. I have no idea what to do next other than just leave them. See photos below.

Tesla Cybertruck Bar Keepers Friend stains on bumper 20240323_183511

Tesla Cybertruck Bar Keepers Friend stains on bumper 20240323_183517

BTW, it is safe to left bird poops stay on panel for a day or two. Photos below show it can be fully removed with water. Stainless steel IS tough XD

Tesla Cybertruck Bar Keepers Friend stains on bumper 20240322_192722
Tesla Cybertruck Bar Keepers Friend stains on bumper 20240323_183600
Sponsored

Guylouis

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F.S. CyberBeast, XP, YP, 3P
Country flag
Eek. Making me second guess using the barkeepers friend

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Model X
Country flag
The bird dropping and washing in the Cybertruck manual is a copy and paste from Model 3, S, and X manual. Bird dropping will stain painted cars. Not sure why everyone made a huge deal when it was also pasted in the Cybertruck manual. Glad it doesn't stain the SS like it would have on a painted car.

As for the bumper. Get a rubberized sticky tape and cover it. Tesla sales precut stickers. Just buy bigger one and trim yourself to cover the whole area.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
The bird dropping and washing in the Cybertruck manual is a copy and paste from Model 3, S, and X manual. Bird dropping will stain painted cars. Not sure why everyone made a huge deal when it was also pasted in the Cybertruck manual. Glad it doesn't stain the SS like it would have on a painted car.

As for the bumper. Get a rubberized sticky tape and cover it. Tesla sales precut stickers. Just buy bigger one and trim yourself to cover the whole area.
I would only use Barkeeper's Friend as a last resort for tough stains. It strips the protective coating that forms on SS, requiring that it re-establish itself. If BKF was required for a tough stain, I would probably wash it off with mild soap and water, in which case it probably wouldn't harm the plastic trim unless it were applied directly, or not cleaned up afterwords.

The stainless steel will be very durable and low care, I'm surprised some people think it's fragile or high maintenance.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Eek. Making me second guess using the barkeepers friend
Yeah, just make sure it doesn't sit on the plastic, that's all. That's why everyone says to wipe it on with a cloth - you want to control where it goes, and keep it dilute so it washes off and doesn't stain parts that are sensitive to it.

Kinda weird the plastic is sensitive, but we've seen it already.

-Crissa

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
Bar keepers is organic acid and instructions say to rinse off with water.
Try one of those renewing products for plastics that have been in the sun for years

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
So I cleaned my CT 2 days after delivery, with Bar Keepers Friend and Windex, following the instruction from Coleton on Out of Spec Detailing. Basically, It is wet sanding the panels with BKF using the softer side of Scotch Brite, then wiping off the muddy sanding dust with Scott Shop Towels and microfiber towels that wetted by Windex. I used about a half bottle of BKF and almost 1 bottle of Windex for the whole CT. When most of the dust are wiped off, It is better to switch to microfiber towel, and make sure it is wet enough to leave the panel wet after wiping, then let it dry by itself for the best result, as Coleton mentioned. (Many thanks to Coleton!)

In the photo below, the right panel was almost done. The left ones showed how a new CT looked like after 2 days of commuting.

图片_20240319194403.jpg

And I did not fully cleaned the BKF that dripped on bumpers. 4 days later I found they became white stains, which can not be removed by Windex. I have no idea what to do next other than just leave them. See photos below.

20240323_183511.jpg

20240323_183517.jpg

BTW, it is safe to left bird poops stay on panel for a day or two. Photos below show it can be fully removed with water. Stainless steel IS tough XD

20240322_192722.jpg
20240323_183600.jpg
Ouch that black plastic looks rough, any idea how long it sat on there to get that result?

Amuma

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I perform a full ph neutral soap wash after using bkf not just wiping it off with a dry towel. Windex not needed

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
I perform a full ph neutral soap wash after using bkf not just wiping it off with a dry towel. Windex not needed
And you have no staining on your trim?

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
less than 4 days
Oh so the BKF was on there for a couple days maybe? This is the first I have seen of that, def not a good look, hopefully it comes off.

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
I used very little of BKF on a rag, lightly rubbed in then hosed it off as instructed on bottle then used a second towel to dry surface. I did 1 whole side at a time and within 1 minute hosed it off. less than 10 minutes to do the whole truck is all. Worked brilliantly!! On the plastic I used Maguires Plastic restorer. Just look at that mirror finish!!!

Tesla Cybertruck Bar Keepers Friend stains on bumper 20240406_133627
Sponsored