scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
3mm SS in theory is not going to be "flexible" at all and the service center has a very hard time with the current vehicles. This is going to be an issue unless they get it nearly perfect. The castings doesn't seem like there will be much wiggle room.
I think Stuck4ger is talking about loosening the bolts that attach the door hinge to the door to adjust the position of the door relative to the hinge.
Oh you are right based on what he wrote. In my initial comment, I was thinking more than doors ... fenders/quarters, hood, ...

The initial set of deliveries is going to be very interesting.
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
I think theres a chance the hood release is electromagnetic and they are guarding against a loss of power resulting in the hood flying up on the freeway
I hope not! Or it’s going to be lots of fun on the motorway when a loss of electricity happens.

But then the same also applies to steer by wire and brake by wire…

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
I hope not! Or it’s going to be lots of fun on the motorway when a loss of electricity happens.

if a loss of electricity happens then the truck going down the freeway isnt an option to begin with

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag

This is where the failure mode comes to play. Does it fail open or closed? BbW can fail with the brakes applied, which means if there were a total and complete power failure (Are there any/many recorded cases of a Tesla doing this?) the brakes fail in the STOPPED position, and you come to a halt. And just looking at the frunk, I think the aero is going to hold it down, rather than lift it up in your face. Quite different from the average car hood, which would certainly lift if not latched.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
This is where the failure mode comes to play. Does it fail open or closed? BbW can fail with the brakes applied, which means if there were a total and complete power failure (Are there any/many recorded cases of a Tesla doing this?) the brakes fail in the STOPPED position, and you come to a halt. And just looking at the frunk, I think the aero is going to hold it down, rather than lift it up in your face. Quite different from the average car hood, which would certainly lift if not latched.
If you lose power while crossing a lake in boat mode you for sure do not want the frunk or doors automatically opening.

MrMoparMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Swapped 72 Plymouth Satellite, 2004.5 Ram 2500 Cummins, 2015 Ecoboost Ford Transit 250, 2012 Chevy Caprice, 2007 Dodge Charger SRT Superbee, 1969 Turbocharged Dodge Dart 340
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I hear what you are saying and have some familiarity with that. It is unclear how those thick SS panels are going to be attached AFAIK. Are there 'tabs' welded on? Are they using some automotive glue? It will be pretty cool to see it broken down by Munro and company.
I have also been wondering how the thick panels will be attached. Munro seems to think it is no longer an exoskeleton design. This probably affects the strength needed in the attachment. I am thinking welding might leave coloration which would have to be removed, glue is definitely possible. Looking forward to a teardown.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
If you lose power while crossing a lake in boat mode you for sure do not want the frunk or doors automatically opening.
As I understand it, there are more than one electrical system. There is the high voltage system for the drivetrain, and the “low” voltage system for the rest of the car. So a failure of one is not a failure of both. Another failsafe mode. I also understand that before you take the HV system to “0%”, you have some amount of reserve to run the car and allow you in or out. So, I’m thinking the likelihood of a simultaneous failure of both systems is nearly non-existent.

To put it into context, how many complete electrical failures have we had with the current 4 models since inception? Then put that in “per 100,000 miles” graphing, and we should see the true odds.

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
I remember seeing a few cases just recently of Teslas with complete or near complete power loss. To the point someone had to deal with heavy steering.
Sponsored