Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is counterintuitive, but the Space Shuttle had a black underside to help it get rid of heat.
Those tiles were specially designed to draw heat and dispel it made of LI-900 silica ceramics. Those tiles were very fragile! The CyberTruck roof will not be that type! It needs to be tough as the CT itself!!!
Sponsored

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
What will it take to dent it? I know that these are small sample sizes but at 3mm I would expect it to be pretty hard to dent.
I'd be surprised if anything like normal wear and tear, door dings, hail and such, would come close to denting 3mm stainless. Bet one of those Space X fabrication guys could give us some insight or hints about what it's like to work with, repairability wise.

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Thanks for all your work!
thanks for saying that :)

some1 asked so:

-Range was about 40 yards and 20ft, the damage was the same seminngly.
-.22 was cci stingers from a 16inch barrel
- im pretty sure 9mm was Fiocchi 147 grain FMJ from a baretta m9, barrel length is 5 inches i think
- the rifle round was 7.62x54R just old Russian ammo from a 26 inch barrel (but these were slightly magnetic, I think they have a steel core)

im pretty sure any rifle round would penetrate it.

I wish I had more handgun calibers and a chronograph to get more scientific data, but this is what i can do.

Last edited:

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Do y'all think the exoskeleton will require a double-wall anywhere?

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was just thinking about that, kind of. It will need a body/ cab area, or something that can hold everything together and have aplace for the passangers.
im thinking a thinner stamped stainless, the Tesla cars now have aluminium but steel and aluminum shouldn't really be together. If you look at this pic, the cab area looks like typical stamped steel. Im a visual guy, so made a little pic to try an explain

so i guess in effect the cab area will be double walled with a thinner material as the double

Tesla Cybertruck Conducting testing on 300 series stainless steel - temperature and bullet test cybertruck-frame Tesla Cybertruck Conducting testing on 300 series stainless steel - temperature and bullet test CT huh

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I was just thinking about that, kind of. It will need a body/ cab area, or something that can hold everything together and have aplace for the passangers.
im thinking a thinner stamped stainless, the Tesla cars now have aluminium but steel and aluminum shouldn't really be together. If you look at this pic, the cab area looks like typical stamped steel. Im a visual guy, so made a little pic to try an explain

so i guess in effect the cab area will be double walled with a thinner material as the double

cybertruck-frame.jpg CT huh.png
Yes you are right it certainly is stamped. And it might be a stamped stainless steel. The color suggests that although they could have painted steel to match the stainless exterior panels....

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Yes you are right it certainly is stamped. And it might be a stamped stainless steel. The color suggests that although they could have painted steel to match the stainless exterior panels....
This is one of my biggest questions about the CT, and it may determine whether I go through with purchasing it. Are those stampings that comprise the door jams, interior panels, floor, etc., are they stainless steel? Obviously they aren't and don't need to be 3mm, but in my opinion, they *have* to be stainless or else what's the sense of making a SS exoskeleton if the other parts of the CT can (and will in New England) rust?

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Guess wait till Cyber factory produces, first batch of purchasers I'm sure there will be lots of you tube reviews of the vehicle.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Typo. Picturing a 50 BMG pistol
- the rifle round was 7.62x54R just old Russian ammo from a 26 inch barrel (but these were slightly magnetic, I think they have a steel core)
I remember some of that stuff with steel casings. But the bullet core?

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Typo. Picturing a 50 BMG pistol
I remember some of that stuff with steel casings. But the bullet core?
lol.
I guess I got armor piercing from my bulk ammo purchase years ago. It looks like copper, lead than steel core. Maybe I'll shoot it again with a regular copper/lead round. but it would still go through most likely
It is silver tipped painted
Tesla Cybertruck Conducting testing on 300 series stainless steel - temperature and bullet test 20200808_141548

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
The gauge and hardness of the SS used on the CT exoskeleton may vary. Elon mentioned bulletproof door panels (1/4 -1/2 hard work hardened 11 ga. 304L SS) but the underlying frame would be Annealed and stamped/welded and perhaps thinner gauges. There are some close up pictures around the headlights where the sheet metal appears thinner and welded. This may be necessary for crumple zone requirements.
The CT is tougher than it needs to be where it needs to be but could still be a great design if non-critical areas were lighter (thinner) yet rigid by stamping.

Thanks for the temperature and ballistic testing Newton! a test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The gauge and hardness of the SS used on the CT exoskeleton may vary. Elon mentioned bulletproof door panels (1/4 -1/2 hard work hardened 11 ga. 304L SS) but the underlying frame would be Annealed and stamped/welded and perhaps thinner gauges. There are some close up pictures around the headlights where the sheet metal appears thinner and welded. This may be necessary for crumple zone requirements.
The CT is tougher than it needs to be where it needs to be but could still be a great design if non-critical areas were lighter (thinner) yet rigid by stamping.

Thanks for the temperature and ballistic testing Newton! a test is worth a thousand expert opinions.
Yes, all good observations.

I couldn't find hardened 304, based on the test they showed in the presentation it was hardened. Whether or not they will use that in the real truck no1 knows. I would assume a cheaper cold rolled 304 like i tested would be used but they might opt for hardened for door panels and other areas like u said!

Gonna be a cool truck any way you smear it.
Sponsored