Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
If Tesla can deliver a good ride with that kind of capacity, it’s going to be hugely popular as a work truck. Most 3/4 trucks drive like crap.

I think reviewers are overlooking the value of the air suspension. It is a massive advantage.
my heaviest haul will be my Costco trips.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Here's the official numbers at the reveal.

bythenumbers.jpg

Thank you. If I had remembered this, I would not start the thread. But this opens a new can of worms:

How?

Does CT3 use a more energy dense battery that has the same weight? Do all three weigh the same?

Does CT1 has higher payload and they didn't want to list it so you feel better about paying more for CT3?

Or the payload is the same because the weak link is something like breaks/regen system

Concrete is only illegal if it is an unsecured load. The track officials hate oil spills from blown engines! I would hate to see their faces if you spread concrete and aggregate across their lane!
I was just horsing around. I know nothing about track.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
my heaviest haul will be my Costco trips.
Unfortunately, 3/4 ton trucks run like crap when they are empty and better when loaded. My current truck isn’t even a 3/4 ton, but rides better when I have it loaded with people and bikes.

It would kind of suck if this were the case with the Cybertruck.

Musk was talking about the air suspension and I swear he said they were working on active dampening which would enable the truck to have decent ride quality, off-road well, and handle loads… but that’s a pretty tough combination to crack.

I’m with you, if I could get better ride quality and lop off about 2000 pounds of cargo capacity and towing, I’d do it. I do need the truck bed, but for me, 1500 pounds would be plenty of capacity.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
'Plaid' = drivetrain
drivetrain ≠ motor

'Plaid' is the drivetrain, which contains carbon-wrapped motors. Not 'plaid motors'. A single carbon wrapped motor is a single carbon wrapped motor, not 'Plaid'. Plaid is the tri-motor configuration specifically.

One-third of a Plaid is not Plaid.

-Crissa
Lol I think you're splitting hairs.

It is actually the Model S "Plaid" car.

Tesla Cybertruck CT2 vs CT3 Payload 1627317882968

Model S Plaid is the only one with CW motors. Hence they are the motors from the Plaid. They don't have a name except CRIMs that ajdelange gave them. There are other carbon wrapped motors too.

In my comment I was pointing out where the weight was, and we know we can pick the CRIMs/Plaid/CW motors because they are light enough to do so. This is an unnecessary "correction" that is also wrong. Besides I bet 99% understood what I meant.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Unfortunately, 3/4 ton trucks run like crap when they are empty and better when loaded. My current truck isn’t even a 3/4 ton, but rides better when I have it loaded with people and bikes.

Musk was talking about the air suspension and I swear he said they were working on active dampening which would enable the truck to have decent ride quality, off-road well, and handle loads… but that’s a pretty tough combination to crack.

I’m with you, if I could get better ride quality and lop off about 2000 pounds of cargo capacity and towing, I’d do it. I do need the truck bed, but for me, 1500 pounds would be plenty of capacity.
A pickup truck with good payload capability & good ride already exists.
2021 RAM 1500 comes standard with air suspension and is rated best truck.
Sandy Munro even uses the RAM 1500 as an example in his video because Munro company worked on development of modern RAM 1500.

You can not even get a crew cab with 6.5ft bed with Ford F-150.

2021 RAM 1500 crew cab, 4x2, 6.4ft bed, 5.7L v8 hemi
payload 1,800 lbs
towing 11,500 lbs
https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Lol I think you're splitting hairs.
No, this is what Elon said. Plaid is the drivetrain.

That's where on the car it would say 'Dual Motor'. You wouldn't call them the 'single dual motor motor' would you? That's what you're saying when you say 'single plaid motor'.

There's no other car with the carbon-wrapped motors because Tesla hasn't released one yet. Heck, Tesla hasn't released another car since the Plaid: The standard Model S isn't due out until December.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A pickup truck with good payload capability & good ride already exists.
2021 RAM 1500 comes standard with air suspension and is rated best truck.
Sandy Munro even uses the RAM 1500 as an example in his video because Munro company worked on development of modern RAM 1500.

You can not even get a crew cab with 6.5ft bed with Ford F-150.

2021 RAM 1500 crew cab, 4x2, 6.4ft bed, 5.7L v8 hemi
payload 1,800 lbs
towing 11,500 lbs
https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html
Yes.

I’m nitpicking a bit here, but I was thinking about that the impact that 3,500 pound capacity would have on ride.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

I think you will find that the air suspension will handle variable loads just fine. Many large trucks like my 16t have airbags, and they drive fine loaded or unloaded.

The whole point of airbags is that they run at the pressure needed for the load. Most trucks only use a progressive steel blade springs on the rear, with one spring after another being activated with load, which are pretty bouncy when empty.

The adaptive dampers will also be great. Had them on my Landcruiser, and you could tune them to the road you're on.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Payload for my 1 ton is actually 2 tons.
Yep.

These numbers all got detached quite a few years ago. Now the “Payload” and 1/2, 3/4, and 1 Ton designations are largely meaningless. My truck can haul a ton, but when I went to tow a mini-ex from the Cat dealer they asked if I had a 3/4 ton truck. I had to look it up. I wound up paying the extra $160 for delivery because my Tundra is not a 3/4 ton truck.

As best I can gather, the rating has more to do with towing capacity, truck weight, and truck stopping power than anything else at this point. But this all sort of begs the question… What is the designation of the Cybertruck?

If I go to pull that mini ex, and they tell me I need a 3/4 ton truck, does the Cybertruck Qualify? I think I’ll just tell them it’s towing capacity and see what they say.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

I'm not that fussy if it rides worse than, for example, a MY.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm not that fussy if it rides worse than, for example, a MY.
I’m secretly hoping the air suspension will make it ride a little nicer than my Model Y which is a bit harsh. The Model Y isn’t terrible mind you, feels a lot like my old Jetta but porkier.

Mr.Dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Thank you. If I had remembered this, I would not start the thread. But this opens a new can of worms:

How?

Does CT3 use a more energy dense battery that has the same weight? Do all three weigh the same?

Does CT1 has higher payload and they didn't want to list it so you feel better about paying more for CT3?

Or the payload is the same because the weak link is something like breaks/regen system
Payload can be defined based on a variety of factors. In some trucks, payload is the difference between curb weight and gross weight, meaning there are no limiting factors other than legal requirements. But with other trucks, you may be limited by power, or transmission capability. Also, there are trucks limited by other factors still, like brake performance. There are certain vehicle configurations out there where you can watch the payload and tow ratings increase by selecting different brake rotors and pads.
So it could be any number of reasons that all 3 trucks have the same or different payload. I wouldn't look to the drivetrain or power ratings as the smoking gun.
The fact that Tesla listed them all at the same 3500 could be anything from a legal requirement, to durability and warranty liability, or even limited by the load rating of the rear tires. Or maybe that's what the mid-gate will support in a front crash before occupant safety becomes a concern.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
or even limited by the load rating of the rear tires
Wouldn’t tire load rating make the payload different since tires are carrying different load for each trim when empty?
Sponsored