HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
So given the size of that storage area, where would one attach a 5th wheel hitch? From what I understand, the best placement would be right over the rear axel. But that would seem to put it in the middle of that storage area.
I probably wouldn't attach a 5th wheel hitch to any 1/2 ton truck. It's a pretty rare person who would do that. I imagine by 2035 or so, Tesla might want to address niche uses of pickups, until they do, there will be a gap between the Cybertruck and the Class 8 Tesla semi. 5th wheel hitches in the half-ton market are a very small market, maybe if GM or Ford can survive the transition to electric trucks, they can fill that market niche at a higher price, Tesla is going after the easy pickings to begin with.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
LOL. But what about all that excess weight from the internal ramp. Oh, and it will need to have detectors to prevent the closing tailgate from operating when the ramp is out or when there are fingers about to be pinched.
I don't expect to see a ramp that is internal to the tailgate, I do think Tesla will offer some ramp accessories though.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Doesn't look big enough for a spare. That's what I was hoping for. I hope it has a drain plug. Then we could throw ice in there. Or my wet wetsuit after going in the ocean. Then rinse it out later. When I was a kid I had a 69 Chevy stepside that had a rubberized floor in the cab. Now and then I would hose it out. That's what I want for the Frunk and this compartment. The utility of being able to get it filthy, and hose them out.
Rivian's under-bed storage is definitely like that. Big enough for a spare - I just don't off-road enough (at all) to warrant the $1200 investment. But also hard plastic with a drain plug. I keep a bottle jack, jack puck, hitch, sway bar, and some recovery gear (no, I don't off-road, but you can use those straps for lots of things) in there. Rinses out easy if you need to.

I will admit that the frunk (so far) and the sub-bed storage on the CT are underwhelming offerings compared to the storage in the R1T, though the bed and cover are definitely superior on the CT. Still waiting to see further meaningful details.

FRSandro

First Name
Alessandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E450, Toyota Sequoia, BMW 228i
Country flag
Anyone else got their ears pierced by the high pitched. closed mic'ed voice at the end?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The lid opens and closes a lot easier than the R1T bed storage unit.

I'll give a thumbs up to the R1T since it can easily store a full sized spare tire.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Rivian's under-bed storage is definitely like that. Big enough for a spare - I just don't off-road enough (at all) to warrant the $1200 investment. But also hard plastic with a drain plug. I keep a bottle jack, jack puck, hitch, sway bar, and some recovery gear (no, I don't off-road, but you can use those straps for lots of things) in there. Rinses out easy if you need to.

I will admit that the frunk (so far) and the sub-bed storage on the CT are underwhelming offerings compared to the storage in the R1T, though the bed and cover are definitely superior on the CT. Still waiting to see further meaningful details.
But the frunk and the bed storage were not even part of the CT on reveal and yet millions decided to put their reservations in without them. I consider them a bonus.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep they'll refer you to Amazon. :D

Ramp.jpg
The thing is, the Cybertruck, unlike every other 1/2 ton pickup in the market, can raise the front and lower the rear to tilt the tailgate close to the ground. My point is, the Cybertruck will use much shorter, lighter ramps to load much heavier items, more easily. I think Tesla will probably offer some ramps that are particularly well suited to the special capabilities of the Cybertruck.

The bed in my 4x4 F-150 is so high off the ground that the ramps would have to be really long, which means for any kind of weight capacity, they have to be pretty heavy too. For that reason, I have never aquired ramps for it, always figuring out creative ways to load occasionally difficult items.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Did they limit the departure angle to make that storage area a smidge deeper?

MsdY2CY.jpg
To me, that departure angle looks more like the consequence of stacking the bed floor, license plate, and tow hitch. Having the placement of those pretty much set, there isn't much room to change the departure angle.

Unless....
if the rear axel was pushed further back toward the rear then the departure angle would improve. But there are probably a whole host of other side-effects that would come about because of such a shift.

Otherwise, one needs to improve the lift of the suspension to improve the departure angle.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did they limit the departure angle to make that storage area a smidge deeper?

MsdY2CY.jpg
The departure angle has nothing to do with the depth of the storage area (it's forward of that point by quite a few inches. With the suspension in the high position the departure angle will greatly increase because of how close the rear axle is to the rear of the truck.

I think you are looking at a safety design consideration so a low car like the Model 3 that crashes into the rear of the Cybertruck (in a high suspension position) cannot ride under the rear of the truck. The engineers want any car hitting the back of the Cybertruck to utilize the trucks crumple zone. Current 1/2 ton 4x4's are very dangerous in this regard.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR (21 & 23)
Country flag
Huh? You want a motor to close the tailgate? :rolleyes:

If you have never owned a pickup before, I guess you will have to trust me when I tell you that would be more trouble/expense/weight/complexity than it's worth.

It's dead easy to flip it up into a closed position.
I have never owned a truck, but am quickly learning that the worst part about them are all the gatekeeping "experts" crawling out of the woodwork to tell you "what a truck is". Perhaps the new Tacoma is also not a truck, because it has an available motorized tail gate.

Regarding the storage, I don't personally understand the point of such a shallow storage cavity. I also thought it unthinkable for Tesla to ship this without storage for a full sized spare, but that remains conspicuously unseen.