James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Let me revise my prediction about what will be included.

The standard car-selling plan is to advertise a low price, let the buyer haggle over it, and then pile on as many add-ons (some attractive, many fake) as they can get away with. The Tesla plan is, "You pay the price we set, and you take it the way it comes out (which will be just about the same as the others").

I predict Tesla will increasingly borrow from its competitors (except for the haggling bit), by adding creative extras (delivery fee, credit-check fee, documentation fee, orientation fee -- and -- accessories galore). And the new assembly line will be jigged so that, after you've paid in full, your vehicle will come out with a unique selection of options -- without slowing the line.

When you decide to walk away from a dealership and the salesperson says, "I have somebody else who wants it," you can be pretty sure it will still be on the lot next week. But if you turn down your CT because of the add-ons, you know there's eager buyers waiting behind you.

Not complaining, just reasoning that the purpose of the CT is to make money for Tesla, and the competitors' sales model of "pad the bill with extras" will be too profitable to ignore.
Tesla doesn't have dealerships. They have distribution/service points. There will be no price gouging. You will deal directly with Tesla online. Not sure about accessories....but if there are any, it will be through Tesla online. And then, of course, there will be aftermarket accessories.
Sponsored

strongsafety31

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So I have read the full thread and wondering if the tire inflation hose from air suspension compressor will be standard or an option...
I have heard Tesla has taken out a patent for a self inflation hub design....inflate the tires from inside the cab. Don't know if this will cover the entire line (rear wheel drive, dual motor, tri-motor) or just on the most expensive CTs.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Tesla doesn't have dealerships. They have distribution/service points. There will be no price gouging. You will deal directly with Tesla online. Not sure about accessories....but if there are any, it will be through Tesla online. And then, of course, there will be aftermarket accessories.

They still have the stores though, which acts like the dealership

Cymerax

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo S40, ordered Cybertruck dual-motor AWD
Country flag
I wonder if that increases the chance for a self inflicted flat as it age. Looks very useful off road but I am not sure what would the owner cost and experience be for a city slicker.
Actually it will probably prevent you from getting flats and tire damage, because I would assume that it will monitor the pressure and alert you if the pressure drops so you won't end up damaging your tires.

I also believe, knowing Tesla's penchant for constantly improving technology, that the system might also add or remove pressure per a set of values you input which could then adjust for pressure fluctuations caused by temp changes, and if the system itself were leaking, then a diagnostic would alert you to that as well.

Bottom line is, with any Tesla, you're basically driving a high-tech computer on wheels that constantly updates and improves itself, nothing else like it on the road today ;?)

Cymerax

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah but you have to complete your order online before you even go to pick it up, so there's no reason to really change your mind at the store/pick up point, unless you ended up getting cold feet at the last moment or maybe decided to return it after some issue you may have with your particular vehicle. But I do agree, if you decided to back out of the deal, there won't be any shortage of buyers, at least for the foreseeable future ;?)

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
"There will be no price gouging."

Well, ....

What there won't be is bargaining, arguing, fighting. They tell you the price; that's what you will pay.
What there might be are non-negotiable add-ons, like various "fees" such as for delivery, preparation, or paperwork, or extras that are already on the vehicle. If so, some purchasers could term that "gouging." But probably most will be so happy to get their truck they won't notice or care.

Cymerax

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Flip stop for the tailgate:
Yeah, the day of the unveil when I saw the bed dimensions I immediately thought of this as well, definitely want to have a way to haul sheets of plywood, sheetrock and 8' studs. You just gotta LOVE the fact that Tesla has a CEO who responds to customer input and is ALWAYS looking to make his vehicles better!

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Actually it will probably prevent you from getting flats and tire damage, because I would assume that it will monitor the pressure and alert you if the pressure drops so you won't end up damaging your tires.

I also believe, knowing Tesla's penchant for constantly improving technology, that the system might also add or remove pressure per a set of values you input which could then adjust for pressure fluctuations caused by temp changes, and if the system itself were leaking, then a diagnostic would alert you to that as well.

Bottom line is, with any Tesla, you're basically driving a high-tech computer on wheels that constantly updates and improves itself, nothing else like it on the road today ;?)
You are probably right. Like any other Tech, when it works it makes life wonderful and when it does not, frustrating. The ratio, severity and your tolerance to deal with it determines if it is good for you. This month I have lost a ton of time to misbehaving Tech. Next month I may have a more positive attitude. I am a relatively old dude that don’t have much time left. If the tech is working for me, I am all for it. If I am working for it, not so much. If it is standard on CT, we will find out which category it belongs to. My basic TPMS so far has been worth the trouble. Hopefully this will be as well.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
so how long will the tire last if it made out of Kevlar ?

They were good for about 55k miles on my Jeep Wrangler four door, but I tend to be conservative on tread depth. They probably could have done 60k legally. The sidewalls are super easy to puncture with sharp sticks however. Kevlar makes them last longer and have better heat characteristics, it does NOT make them tougher. Very good off-road tire, pretty good on the street, with some noise. I now have Falken ATs and like them slightly better.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I've visited two, not sure what you're saying. One is big like a dealership, with service. One is just a store, acts like a dealership for sales, but no service and no parts.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I've visited two, not sure what you're saying. One is big like a dealership, with service. One is just a store, acts like a dealership for sales, but no service and no parts.
From this we can only conclude that you have never been to a regular dealership. What goes on in a Tesla shop is nothing like what goes on in a dealership. At least not in my experience.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It acts 'like' a dealership. You can talk to sales people, get information and test rides, and take deliveries.

It doesn't act 'like' a dealership in that it probably doesn't have service, their parts department is online (tho sometimes they have displays), and they don't have an annoying sales presence and loan officers.

-Crissa
Sponsored