Cybertruck Frunk

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
We haven’t had “frunks” in our trucks before and still don’t, yet. I will make use of the extra storage whether it ends up being large or small but the availability or size of the frunk will not factor into my purchase decision even the slightest bit. I’ll just be glad for the extra space no matter what size it is.
Sponsored

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
6 passenger? The stainless steel! the BRAND NEW adjustable suspension! The 16” of clearance! The electric tonneau cover! The 240! The 120! The frunk! The solar wings and light bar and the 240 and the 120 and a tailgate that acts as a ramp and no mirrors, and vault has climate control, “which to me can possibly be an opening through to the vault? “and no door handles and a yoke steering wheel .. shit I’m tired can I go to bed and read off the rest later Elon? ? Cuz you freaking rock bro! Like seriously . I still have not gotten to the possibilities . Night dude. Noooo. Seriously bro. I have to fold the mold.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
All I can say about the frunk is that Motortrend (who saw and got hands-on with the Cybertruck before the public) said the trunk was either "small" or "tiny" I can't remember which they used off the top of my head. I think a small frunk makes sense considering the CT's hood is like 2 feet long.
But 6’ wide :)

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
It wasn’t until the Ford Lightning that anyone went further with the frunk space, adding power and USB outlets, drains, and premised specialty sections.
The Atlis XT has advertised this (perhaps a better version) years before the lightning was announced, if it's ever going to release is another thing...

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Sure, I'm curious of the CT frunk but I'm curious how often it will actually get used by me or other people.
i will. I use the heck out of the frunk on my Model Y.

With a truck you don’t want to just pile everything into the bed. Just Like your garage or your kitchen, having partitioned storage is a huge help. The auxiliary storage doesn’t need to be huge, just look at how many trucks on the road have toolboxes behind the cab. Even just a few moderately sized compartments for holding tie downs, and tools is useful.

Last edited:

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
i will. I use the heck out of the frunk on my Model Y.

With a truck you don’t want to just pile everything into the bed. just Like your garage or your kitchen, having partitioned storage is a huge help. The auxiliary storage doesn’t need to be huge, but look at how many trucks on the road have toolboxes behind the cab. It’s hugely useful.
So you use the frunk (autocorrect if you put something else there again I'm going throw you across the room) because it's a compact compartment. I get that.

What I don't get is why you think anyone would "just pile everything into the bed". Hell, you even use a toolbox as an example because containers make sense. I was talking about tailgating and construction. Sure, groceries could go in the frunk (ha, fu autocorrect got you that time) but are you getting a CT as your grocery getter when you have a Y? Maybe we're just looking at this differently. I don't think I've personally used our frunk on the 3 ever and my wife has used it on a couple of road trips in the last year and a half.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
So you use the frunk (autocorrect if you put something else there again I'm going throw you across the room) because it's a compact compartment. I get that.

What I don't get is why you think anyone would "just pile everything into the bed". Hell, you even use a toolbox as an example because containers make sense. I was talking about tailgating and construction. Sure, groceries could go in the frunk (ha, fu autocorrect got you that time) but are you getting a CT as your grocery getter when you have a Y? Maybe we're just looking at this differently. I don't think I've personally used our frunk on the 3 ever and my wife has used it on a couple of road trips in the last year and a half.

Different strokes for different folks I guess
So what are you wanting there instead of a frunk?

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
but are you getting a CT as your grocery getter when you have a Y?
I would! It's not like the old days with ICE vehicles when you wanted to use the most economical vehicle.

Lots of stares in the parking lot of the grocery store with your CT :cool: Not so much with the Model Y....

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't think I've personally used our frunk on the 3 ever and my wife has used it on a couple of road trips in the last year and a half.
At some point, I realized I could just leave my bike gear in the frunk all the time and avoid hauling it in and out of the car. Prior to that, I would leave it in the cargo area and was often in the way. Now I have the cargo area for whatever day-to-day things I do, and the frunk has my bike gear all the time. So the frunk has 2 collapsing chairs, a pump, helmet shoes, gloves, and often a change of clothes.

I ride… 2-3 times a week so it’s a big time saver.

Under the cargo area in the back, I stash my extra bike rack rail and some blankets.

What I don't get is why you think anyone would "just pile everything into the bed". Hell, you even use a toolbox as an example because containers make sense. I was talking about tailgating and construction.
Very often I go to the hardware store and end up with a full bed and an armload of small parts which end up in the back seat of the truck. You don’t want pipe fittings or other loose items bouncing around. I’ve done Costco runs where I’ve more or less filled the bed and ended up with some small products on people’s laps up front. It’s not super common, but it’s happened.

Last edited:

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
So what are you wanting there instead of a frunk?
sigh... I never said I did or didn't want a frunk or something different. What I said was,

Sure, I'm curious of the CT frunk but I'm curious how often it will actually get used by me or other people.
Now if your question is what could that space be used for otherwise, I don't know, I hadn't thought about it, I don't have a good answer and I've never had a need for it.

Maybe it could be filled with unicorn poop that disappears whenever you open it the first time. Then, I'd be really interested in opening it but I'd know that it would disappear. Seriously, I have no idea. Maybe someone smarter than me can come up with alternate use for that space if it's not for storage.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
sigh... I never said I did or didn't want a frunk or something different. What I said was,

Now if your question is what could that space be used for otherwise, I don't know, I hadn't thought about it, I don't have a good answer and I've never had a need for it.

Maybe it could be filled with unicorn poop that disappears whenever you open it the first time. Then, I'd be really interested in opening it but I'd know that it would disappear. Seriously, I have no idea. Maybe someone smarter than me can come up with alternate use for that space if it's not for storage.
Oh, no worries. You just seemed generally dissatisfied with the usefulness of it.

I think it's one of those things that just takes time. It's not yet in the mind of most folks to pop the hood to grab their biking gear or groceries. But the more you use it, the more useful it feels--at least that was the case for me. I had to force myself a few times first, then it started to come to mind for things like cleaning equipment, extra bug spray for windshield, my son's diaper once when I couldn't find a trash can on the side of the road. For me it just started to make sense for things I didn't want in the car or that I wanted in the car long term but out of the way. But of course, the CT has the vault ?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I want the unicorn poop option too. Though if it’s heavy it might be impact range.

One weird thing about the frunk on the Cybertruck versus the Ford.

Tesla is literally turning a void in the design into something useful. If the frunk weren’t there, there would just be a big empty space. If you never use the frunk, it has zero impact on range.

Ford actually puts a big box on the front of their truck, like pushing a giant empty box down the highway. It’s a constant drain on your range.

I wonder if someone will make a replacement frunk cover for the Ford for for folks who want the extra few miles of range. Like a range-extending frunk top.