CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
yes mag res is better, its also what MagSafe is on iphones, not sure the limits on power output (Can they delivery 12 kw ? not sure)

but still, are people really this lazy where instead of picking up the cord and pushing a button and plugging it in youd spend thousands of dollars for this even if it was real ?
I think the more likely use cases for wireless charging are for the Robo Taxi Network and public level 2 charging, where cord length no longer is an issue, nor having to replace cords that get damaged.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
something wrong with your charger or door then man, i have 2 cars and 2 wall connectors and no issues. also a cycle is from 100 to 0 so whether you charge 50-70, 0-70 or whatever it dosnt affect the number of cycles. a charging session is not a cycle
I'm not going to debate charging cycles here, but the nonresponsiveness comes from the car and the communication with the car. When I hit the button to unlock while it's already plugged in, the car does react, it just doesn't unlock. And I'm not pulling outward causing it to be stuck. The car just won't unlock the latch until it is fully awake, which takes from 2-10 seconds. First button press wakes the car up. Second press unlocks the charger (only takes the 2 if I actually wait for the car to wake up). There's nothing wrong with any of it, it all functions perfectly. The way it functions is just slow. And if it's because I have the intel atom processor I'd be really happy about that. Because the CT will then be faster to wake up.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I think the more likely use cases for wireless charging are for the Robo Taxi Network and public level 2 charging, where cord length no longer is an issue, nor having to replace cords that get damaged.
agree, however i still vote for the tesla snake.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I'm not going to debate charging cycles here, but the nonresponsiveness comes from the car and the communication with the car. When I hit the button to unlock while it's already plugged in, the car does react, it just doesn't unlock. And I'm not pulling outward causing it to be stuck. The car just won't unlock the latch until it is fully awake, which takes from 2-10 seconds. First button press wakes the car up. Second press unlocks the charger (only takes the 2 if I actually wait for the car to wake up). There's nothing wrong with any of it, it all functions perfectly. The way it functions is just slow. And if it's because I have the intel atom processor I'd be really happy about that. Because the CT will then be faster to wake up.
like i said i have 2 teslas that's not the case with, literally first time every time. so it's not "normal" but you seem to have gotten used to it so whatever i guess

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
Curious of the price….
…and what happens to the cat if it runs under the car

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I also sort of feel like less charge cycles is better...
Best practice is to plug in, regardless of charging or not. Lots of threads and Tesla communications on this.

Its like putting a blanket on a horse while its in the barn overnight.

tbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 F150 Lariat - Cybertruck Res #113xxx
Country flag
yes mag res is better, its also what MagSafe is on iphones, not sure the limits on power output (Can they delivery 12 kw ? not sure)

but still, are people really this lazy where instead of picking up the cord and pushing a button and plugging it in youd spend thousands of dollars for this even if it was real ?
Looking at the comments here, I believe most are missing the poi t of the bigger (future) picture.

Think 10 to 20 years ahead. How do you future-proof the vehicle, eliminate range anxiety, and remove the perception of increased expense with an electric vehicle (perception being the key word here)? You make charging ubiquitous and hidden.

How do you do with with electric charging? You give the vehicle the ability to charge wirelessly. You allow the vehicle to charge anywhere. And you build the infrastructure to place charging pads where vehicle pause, sit, or travel on long, remote, stretches of road. Vehicles then pick up short duration charges or charge wirelessly while driving.

Examples (actually used in Scandinavia today for public busses and some city vehicles, including some short road stretches for charging while driving):
- Stop lights
- Parking spots.
- Remote highways between larger public installs or chargers
- Bus lanes (for public transit)
- Cab stands/Ride share lots

I am impressed Tesla is preparing the CT to be future-ready. It shows they are focused on the long-run and not just short term returns. I would venture to guess that the header install in this post will become standard in the not too distant future.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
I'd like to propose a use case here that I haven't seen discussed yet.

My wife does not want to take her MYLR on road trips... ever. Well, if she's following me like when we moved, she will. Here's her issue that inductive charging could help someday:

Sketchy charge locations / people.

Yes, I know there's some kind of plug that can eject. But, she'd have to get out of the car to initiate the charge session and she is nervous that she'd get somewhere and that she would be a target of opportunity. She doesn't want that. Silly? Overly cautious? Of course. But, it isn't to her.

I'm glad Tesla is looking at inductive charging. While it probably won't be anywhere near DCFC speeds, it could help some people get enough juice to make it to the next charger.

Oh, one more thing... Destination chargers... If done right, the inductive charger would have nothing that a vandal could ruin. Imbed the mat, keep the cable buried. Easy Peasy.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Here making an *educated* prediction that among the accessories offered for the Cybertruck will be a wireless charging system, utilizing the recently Tesla-acquired Wiferion platform. The recent acquisition timing obviously raises that possibility, but in addition to that remote observation I'm increasingly willing to put green money on it because:

In March’s Investor Day event, Tesla flashed a photo of a Model S parked on top of a wireless charging platform. Located in the rear of the vehicle.

1694728528395.png

In August, Tesla acquired German wireless charging company Wiferion. Here’s what Wiferion’s equipment suite looks like for industrial applications.

1694728544388.png

The above system’s source resonator/primary coil (what goes on the ground) and device resonator/secondary coil (what goes in the device) measure only ~12” by ~17”, and presumably a vehicle – especially one like the Cybertruck – would require a larger set of resonators/coils.

Startup Witricity has already licensed Wiferion tech to aftermarket upfit Model 3’s for wireless charging – in that use case, under the front 1/3 of the vehicle.

1694728557063.png

1694729281797.png

Meanwhile, for months we’ve wondered what could have required the Cybertruck to now have the ‘diaper’ in the lower rear fascia of the truck, especially given the apparent effects on departure angle. We know that the tow hitch receiver is in the box just below the license-plate cutout, but what’s been left unexplained is the remaining drop-down under the rear ¼ of the bed. Some wondered (or hoped) it was a space for a spare, but that seemed unlikely for reasons of the size and shape of the area - as well as accessibility under the rear fascia trim pieces.

1694728570319.png

1694728582449.png

While the rear fascia surely plays a role in aero, it's shape strongly suggests it must be covering something of a certain form factor, and something of some importance for Tesla to have in effect compromised on the Cybertruck’s departure angle.

That this lower fascia feature was not for a spare, was further confirmed by more recent video of a crash-tested unit missing this lower fascia altogether.

While it answered the spare tire location question (in the negative), getting a glimpse under this rear fascia raised more questions than it answered. There's nothing of any apparent importance there, other than some support structures - which themselves would not require the form factor of the lower fascia diaper. It is uncharacteristic of Tesla to leave so much space unutilized (especially at the cost of departure angle).

1694728595843.png

1694728604172.png

I got to searching for shots of Witricity/Wiferion’s equipment being licensed and installed in other automobiles (e.g., Mitsubishi), all of which to date are in light duty passenger cars (that I’ve found).

The few images I could find of the raw equipment began painting the picture – notice a shared form factor between the Witricity/Wiferion equipment and the Cybertruck's rear lower fascia/diaper? Imagine one of these units larger, for a truck?

1694728615742.png

1694728623566.png

All-in-all, I'm satisfied of the strong possibility that Tesla will (either at launch or shortly thereafter) announce the Cybertruck to be the first platform offering an optional wireless charging accessory. That rear fascia diaper will conceal the device resonator/secondary coil of a Cyber-sized wireless charging unit, placed in the rear of the vehicle (as shown in the Investor Day tease of the Model S) to be parked over a home wireless charger pad.

I'll guess these would be residential-only installs, as the ~L2 charge rates would be impractical for public charging if only from a point of relative cost of installation.
So I jumped into the javascript on the CT pages to see what i could see. There was a bunch. I may not have interpreted any of this right so take it with a grain of salt.

Foundation series option info (code $FS00):
Tesla Cybertruck Site code exploration: (Interior options?) + Wireless charging 1701721637849

Looks like there will be two steering wheel options (squircle and round probably [which i think is default]?).
I am going to assume that the wireless charging one is the normal one, but it would be weird to have in this section right? ** Conjecture time... what if the diaper holds a wireless charging option?? **
Tesla Cybertruck Site code exploration: (Interior options?) + Wireless charging 1701721761291

Notice how the base options dont have WC01 (wireless charger)
1701723315089.png

CYBR = either powershare or just being a cybertruck not super sure
APBS = autopilot basic system
ST04 = squrikle steering (could be round i suppose)
MTC03 = dual motor
TW01 = tow hitch
SC04 = supercharger network access pay as you go
WH0B = 20" Cyber Wheels with 35" Tires"
CPF0 = Standard Connectivity

Squirkle name confirmed
1701721923760.png

20" rims have these tire options: (All terrain with aggressive tread, or a street?)
1701722200678.png

When you select a trim, it sets the option for that trim and unsets the options for the other trims. Does this mean there are 5 trims?... 2 founders, + 3 we know
1701722387073.png

3 4 and 5 are the ones we know?
"trims": {
"$MTC03": {
"variant": {
"code": "DM",
"name": "Dual Motor"
},
"configurator": [
{
"included": [],
"optional": [
[
"$APF2",
"$APPB"
]
],
"upgradable": [],
"base_options": [
"$MTC03",
"$CYBR",
"$APBS",
"$ST04",
"$TW01",
"$SC04",
"$WH0B",
"$CPF0"
],
"combinations": [
[
"$IG01",
"$IW01"
]
]
}
]
},
"$MTC04": {
"code": "TM",
"name": "Tri Motor"
},
{
[
"$APF2",
"$APPB"
],
[
"$LB01"
]
],
"$MTC04",
"$CYBR",
"$APBS",
"$IW01",
"$ST04",
"$TW01",
"$SC04",
"$WH0B",
"$CPF0"
],
"combinations": []
}
]
},
"$MTC05": {
"code": "RWD",
"name": "Rear Wheel Drive"
},
{
[
"$APF2",
"$APPB"
]
],
"$MTC05",
"$CYBR",
"$APBS",
"$IG02",
"$ST04",
"$TW01",
"$SC04",
"$WH0A",
"$CPF0"
],
"combinations": []
}
]
}
},
"toggle": [],
"default_trim": "$MTC05"
},
"fees": {},

which means that these are the founders?
1701722993081.png

V2H is a "Core" option, i guess this means standard
1701722525584.png

MTC01 and MTC02 have interesting delivery timings (These must be the founders series)
1701722620452.png

Range extender requires service center install and will likely be available end of next year. also, this is where the 16k thing came from
1701722852465.png

1701722898556.png

In the range extender area, there is a 470+, 425+ and a 450. do we know if it can go on rwd? Would make sense i guess

Looks like youll be able to add all the random shop accessories when configuring via premium accessories package (This stuff will likely have 3rd party knockoffs quick)
1701723963732.png

1 240 and 2 120 outlets in bed, two 120 in the cabin and two aux power connections with 2.3kw output (probs frunk and roof)

1701759826247.png

Full code:

I'm sure there's more. but I need to do my real job now. someone have at it
There was speculation that the bulge beneath the hitch mount area is intended to house just that.
100% correct.

👀 🥳 🥂

Last edited:

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Oh wow does Tesla normally make their service manual public? If not I will want to download this asap.
They weren't for the longest time but yes in the past couple years you could get a free subscription.

For the Cybertruck they made it more obvious. I registered (started tracking process) all the Cybertruck information out on the Internet Archive / Wayback Machine when they came out.

See:
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...pair-manuals-accessible-online-links-📒.12905/

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
My understanding is that it's a much different technology than you're thinking.

Magnetic induction = phone charging, gets hot and wastes energy
Magnetic resonance = tesla wireless charger, close to the efficiency of a cord

Magnetic resonance is much more expensive and for phones you don't care if you waste an extra 5W as heat. So nothing uses that technology. But now we need it for car charging.

I was always pretty partial to the robotic tentacle charger that they demoed, but wireless charger will serve the same function, so fine by me.
This.

Guylouis

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F.S. CyberBeast, XP, YP, 3P
Country flag
We knew this was coming

Tesla acquired Wiferion last year

https://www.wiferion.com/us/

At the time there were touting a 93% efficiency rating!!

I have no doubt that Tesla has improved on this efficiency since then

I would expect for this to launch later this year alongside the extended battery

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck is inductive charging ready! Battery connector harness spotted in Service Manual IMG_4576