Cybertruck production rate reportedly 60 trucks an hour (as of 12/1/23)

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
that’s line capacity, though

that’s not telling of expected run rate of builds

I can have a machine capable of producing 125k hamburgers a year, but if I don’t have enough buns, or if the machine is still overcooking the patties, I don’t have 125K burgers
I was not saying otherwise. I was only making a clarification on the previous post that said the factory was designed for 125K/year. I do not think that is the case. Elon has said that they may at some time build 250K (depending on demand, supplies, etc.). And as you say, the capacity isn't directly related to run rate, which will take quite some time to ramp.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I was not saying otherwise. I was only making a clarification on the previous post that said the factory was designed for 125K/year. I do not think that is the case. Elon has said that they may at some time build 250K (depending on demand, supplies, etc.). And as you say, the capacity isn't directly related to run rate, which will take quite some time to ramp.
roger that

the nameplate capacity limit is of course determined by the line's limiting reagent (so to speak)

So, I think but don't know that what's going on here with the 2024 'capacity' in the Q3 deck, vs Musk saying that sometime in 2025 they will get to a 250K capacity, relates back to the present line being configured with some piece (or pieces) of the line that currently have a 125K/yr limitation, which by some point in 2025 they would expect to duplicate those limiting piece/pieces

obviously the most obvious candidate for such a "piece" of the line is the gigapress

basically, at the point that the *rest* of the line becomes constrained by the max run rate of the gigapress at 125, the only way to expand is to get second giggapress which then means the line's capacity is 250k/yr. the gigapress is a step-change piece.

That said, it could be that many other sorts of feedstock tools/supplies are also currently configured only up to the gigapress's max. e.g., if the gigapress is the limiting reagent, then you might now only install eg enough press brakes for producing 125k/yr panels, etc., expecting that come time to expand the gigapress you'll likewise make parity in the rest of the line

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
at best, people are confusing a description of what the line is capable of / spec’d for, vs what it is currently (or anytime soon) doing

and now Munro has clarified (accidentally?) what he meant / saw

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck production rate reportedly 60 trucks an hour (as of 12/1/23) 1701807809928
Sponsored