Durwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier RWD; 2000 Toyota Echo FWD
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Wow! Lots of ...interesting... discussion going on!
I'm going to jump back in with a few more thoughts so I can go to bed and get some sleep.

First, wasn't this the final word from Elon? No change to the size?

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck prototype spotted again on Fremont track. (2/7/2022) Cybertruck Dimensions from Reveal

Second, consider this comparison of an image from the drone video, and a side view image from the patent for the "integrated tonneau cover", along with an overlay.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck prototype spotted again on Fremont track. (2/7/2022) Drone Video View (cropped)

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck prototype spotted again on Fremont track. (2/7/2022) Patent Image

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck prototype spotted again on Fremont track. (2/7/2022) Patent Image Overlay

Notice how well the features line up along the length of the Cybertruck, and especially note how the deck of the bed projects into the rear seat area.

I don't think there will be a significant size difference in the production model from the concept originally revealed. Elon doesn't like it when car makers make a concept car and then a lame production model. A 4'6" bed would be lame. It's gotta be bigger than my 1999 Nissan Frontier SE King Cab!

Please powder all of this with a good sprinkling of wishful thinking.
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Well done.

If you can’t get to sleep, try counting Cybertrucks.

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
Can’t believe how close this drone got, it was clear the people working on the truck saw it.

In the last couple frames of the video, the woman working on it is looking right at the drone and pulls out her phone… “Security…”

Tesla tolerates drones, but I wonder if this was a bit OTT.
Ya think?

At first it seemed like they were oblivious, but near the end they drone was close enough to snatch from the sky.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Did you just do this to justify the cock and balls? ??

oh we are so juvenile here… I love it. A little levity when things are getting heated…????????
And I remember the good 'ol days when we don't care about the size of the bed, just whose on it. :p

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I loved seeing the footage. Maybe I need to get my drone out and do a stealth mission. Tesla is not far away.

F9901F96-73E7-4D81-B305-D4AED24B2AEC_1_102_a.jpeg
Awesome!

Just… keep a little distance will ya?

But maybe drop a reference object in the bed for size to put this tiny bed silliness to rest.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Wow! Lots of ...interesting... discussion going on!
I'm going to jump back in with a few more thoughts so I can go to bed and get some sleep.

First, wasn't this the final word from Elon? No change to the size?

Cybertruck Dimensions from Reveal.jpg

Second, consider this comparison of an image from the drone video, and a side view image from the patent for the "integrated tonneau cover", along with an overlay.
Drone Video View (cropped).jpg

Patent Image.jpg

Patent Image Overlay.jpg

Notice how well the features line up along the length of the Cybertruck, and especially note how the deck of the bed projects into the rear seat area.

I don't think there will be a significant size difference in the production model from the concept originally revealed. Elon doesn't like it when car makers make a concept car and then a lame production model. A 4'6" bed would be lame. It's gotta be bigger than my 1999 Nissan Frontier SE King Cab!

Please powder all of this with a good sprinkling of wishful thinking.
I wouldn't take Elon's tweets and comments on the matter as gospel one way or the other. He says a lot of things depending on his mood, and I doubt he decides everything about every project all his companies are working on. The designers and engineers work on it and then show it too him at occasional meetings. One day someone might say "I think we need to shrink it" and another say "Shrinking's not working!"

It does seem like the design is going to stay very close to the original. It's a bit shorter to my eyes. About an inch off the front and 3-5" off the back. The original was longer from the peak to the rear, proportionally to the front. This newest build is a bit more even with the peak more centered. But only a bit. I think it looks better. My guess is they felt the extra 5" wasn't worth it and the bed is now around 6'.

Ratso

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75 Monte carlo, 74 K5 Blazer, 85 Chevy van, 89 Pontiac 6000, 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2008 Chevy Silverado, and my last car will be Cybertruck tried motor.
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Shorter truck bed, lack of definitive information, hypothetical numbers being thrown around , ladies and gentlemen I believe what we have glimpsed was the very first Wolverine.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck prototype spotted again on Fremont track. (2/7/2022) tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I wouldn't take Elon's tweets and comments on the matter as gospel one way or the other. He says a lot of things depending on his mood, and I doubt he decides everything about every project all his companies are working on. The designers and engineers work on it and then show it too him at occasional meetings. One day someone might say "I think we need to shrink it" and another say "Shrinking's not working!"

It does seem like the design is going to stay very close to the original. It's a bit shorter to my eyes. About an inch off the front and 3-5" off the back. The original was longer from the peak to the rear, proportionally to the front. This newest build is a bit more even with the peak more centered. But only a bit. I think it looks better. My guess is they felt the extra 5" wasn't worth it and the bed is now around 6'.
The front does seem a bit shorter.

One thing which I noticed putting up that CAD drawing earlier which a lot of people seem to overlook is the tailgate used to slant rearwards and now it’s vertical.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck prototype spotted again on Fremont track. (2/7/2022) 1644440816573

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck prototype spotted again on Fremont track. (2/7/2022) 1644440932849

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Ergh ….inches…. feet….. why!!!!???
I’d say a majority of the readership know millimetres and metres… 12base numbering is just stupid!!!!
Thanks for clarifying the better measurement system.
I just hope the Cybertruck can still hold a 121.92 cm x 243.84 cm sheet of plywood in the bed. Otherwise, Tesla is going to be 1.609 km off in meeting customer expectations, and they'd risk getting the whole 8.2296 meters on the complaint front. ?

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Since they like the more difficult, I'm surprised Americans prefer the decimal counting method instead of Octal.

:sneaky:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Since they like the more difficult, I'm surprised Americans prefer the decimal counting method instead of Octal.

:sneaky:
Octal would be easier to learn than decimal. There are more ways to evenly divide it without fractions. It’s also easier to convert to binary, base 16, or base 256, etc

I’ve heard a quite solid case for a base 12 math system instead of base 10. It’s evenly divisible by more numbers: 2/3/4/6 so it makes fractions a lot simpler to learn. The only fraction you need to learn is the less common divide by 5 case.

The only reason base 10 is remotely easier or better is when your math skills are so bad you have to count fingers. Even then you can count the palm of your hand as a digit.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
There's also a base 11, but it only works better for males.
Sponsored