Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Cyber T, S , Infinty, Buick, sligshot, Goldwi
Occupation
Diamond coated surgical burrs
Country flag
I'm about to go try Chemical Guys Iron Decon spray where I cleaned already, to see if it pulls additional corrosion that I can't see.
I wounder what citric acid would do, it can passivate some stainless steels Anything you try, try it on a small spot and wait a day or 2 :) If it's the good SS with hi chrome content then use nitric acid. Citric acid is a good one to try. I will not get my truck anytime soon to try it on. I am 11304 next year maybe. They need to passivate the surface to stop the rusting if that's is what it is, Don't know for sure. Just a thought.
Sponsored

Glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Not practical to use any nitric acid on it because, besides being pretty dangerous to work with, it could cause damage to any trim it came in contact with, of even etch the glass. A citric acid spray and soak is something that may work and not damage anything else it touches. Citric works exponentially better when it's hot, but cold citric can be used. A 4-10% Citric Acid solution can be effective... addition of a wetting agent may help.
Yes, I like the citric way more than Nitric, agree with the warmer solution; I just wanted to show a few possibilities. :) Most people can not get their hands on Nitric acid; I see and use these chemicals often. I just feel there might be something here that we might need to address. I do not know for sure, just guessing at this point. If it really is the problem. Where I worked a while back we did a large amount of SS passivating.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Maybe Tesla needs to move to a 31X stainless to have it more corrosion resistant to the elements... obviously this will be way more expensive to make, but can't have customers scrubbing their trucks every other day.

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag
Yes, I like the citric way more than Nitric, agree with the warmer solution; I just wanted to show a few possibilities. :) Most people can not get their hands on Nitric acid; I see and use these chemicals often. I just feel there might be something here that we might need to address. I do not know for sure, just guessing at this point. If it really is the problem. Where I worked a while back we did a large amount of SS passivating.
They sell brand name stuff that you can use, but you can make your own.

https://www.theruststore.com/CitriS...term=4580428016516728&utm_content=Ad group #1

https://www.theruststore.com/CitriS...term=4580428016516727&utm_content=Ad group #1

Glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
Cleaned it off with denatured alcohol, looks great now that it's dried out a bit.

I'll keep an eye on it overnight.
I’m glad it’s gone. So is it truly a corrosion or just some stain/debris? If it’s not a corrosion, please update the thread title. News outlets are picking this topic all over the place to put CT in a bad spot.

I’ll be surprised if Tesla didn’t think of rust/corrosion. It’s probably the first thing they would have tested, but it hurts to get a brand new truck with these spots. I wouldn’t have taken the delivery till this was resolved.

Glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I just ordered some. I want to try it out on some SS I have at the shop. It would be easier for all the others on here who do not want to make it. Thanks for the info, I will pass it on.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
I’m glad it’s gone. So is it truly a corrosion or just some stain/debris? If it’s not a corrosion, please update the thread title. News outlets are picking this topic all over the place to put CT in a bad spot.

I’ll be surprised if Tesla didn’t think of rust/corrosion. It’s probably the first thing they would have tested, but it hurts to get a brand new truck with these spots. I wouldn’t have taken the delivery till this was resolved.
We don't know. Until some time has elapsed, it's impossible to know if the spots will return.
Also, the truck wasn't delivered with the spots if I understand correctly. They appeared after a few days sitting in the rain.

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag

Glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
A 5-10% lukewarm citric solution can be effective and you may want to add a wetting agent (soap) to make it have better contact. ASTM A967 can provide guidance.
Sounds like someone else has chemistry, plating and or quality control in their life :)

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag
Sounds like someone else has chemistry, plating and or quality control in their life :)
I own a company that does industrial chemical cleaning and we do sometimes passivate stainless parts with citric acid. We also sometimes have to "Pickle" CRES piping for the Navy, where we have to use a hot nitric/hydrofluoric acid solution, because that's their requirement.

Glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I own a company that does industrial chemical cleaning and we do sometimes passivate stainless parts with citric acid. We also sometimes have to "Pickle" CRES piping for the Navy, where we have to use a hot nitric/hydrofluoric acid solution, because that's their requirement.
Nice, hope you are doing well. My company, we electroplate diamond on different products, like burrs, we also make our own diamond pads we cut to into disc for grinding. Most people do not know the things we speak of :) I never like hydrofluoric, you must respect it.

nmeabrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Director
Country flag
I received my AWD Cybertruck on February 1, 2024. Throughout the LA rain, I noticed the corrosion was forming on the metal like other people have noted, so I decided to start documenting it and bringing it to Tesla's attention. I figured it was already on their radar, but I want it attended to under the warranty. So I made a service appointment for this morning.

The truck was taken to the back and the exterior was washed, just to verify the corrosion was not specks of dirt.

Speaking with someone at the facility, they told me 1) they have a procedure/guidance for how to fix it, but 2) they don't have the tools on hand, nor have they done this repair before. They documented the corrosion, and told me they'll give me a call next month when the tools have arrived and they can perform the service/repair.

The Cybertruck has 381 miles on it, and has spent much of the 11 days in my custody parked in front of my house. Cold weather, rain, and some direct sunlight later, I attached a few photos of the corrosion spots and a video. Seems like it's much more prominent on the top metal that rises above the truck bed moreso than anywhere else, but the spots are definitely everywhere in the metal.

Pardon my gross hands and fading nail polish...

20240212_100728.jpg

20240212_100723.jpg
THAT LOOKS LIKE OLD WELDING SPATTER, ARE YOU SURE NO ONE HAS BEEN WELDING NEAR YOUR CT

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads