123 kWh battery pack on Cybertruck (reported)

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, FS Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I see a lot of talk about the likely 150 mile towing range of the CT being "good enough" for users but I haven't seen any discussion about how users are going to charge on their trips when towing.

Is Tesla install pull through chargers?

Because without that the options appear to be either disconnecting the trailer load every time the vehicle needs to be charged, which is a time consuming laborious process.... or, simply pulling the CT into multiple stalls or blocking traffic... both of which are going to anger other drivers.
Yes, they are going to be installing more pull-throughs, both for that and opening up charging to other manufacturers with varying chargeport locations.

Incidentally, I noticed last week that they had removed the bollards protecting the chargers at my local supercharger and I was wondering if that was for the same reason.
Sponsored

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Yep, Tesla has a likely excess of cells for the start of the ramp, and 4680 is ramping fast now, to the point that soon they will need to find places to put them, because not the Model Y, Cybertruck and Semi combined will be able to absorb the 300 GWh they have ramping and in development

On top of that, with ~57 kWh difference, between the ~300 miles and the ~500 miles version is higher than $5000, Tesla makes more money by selling only the higher version one
We don't know what their 4680 cost is at the moment, there's a lot of equipment and start up related expenses to spread over not a lot of volume.

They scrapped Model Y 4680 because all the cells that went into it were made at Kato Rd in California
Unclear if that was the case. They said 4680 line #1 in Texas is being converted from V1 to V2 so presumably that was also supplying the now defunct Model Y SR AWD.

GhostAndSkater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Unclear if that was the case. They said 4680 line #1 in Texas is being converted from V1 to V2 so presumably that was also supplying the now defunct Model Y SR AWD.
Most info we have seen points out that Austin never made V1 cells

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Country flag
BTW, Rivian is ~95.7% [link] of total.
In a Rivian example: 123 * 95.7% = 117.7 kWh usable or 5.3 kWh
F150 Lightning SR has 107.6 kWh, usable 98 kWh, 91%; ER has 143.4 kWh with 131 kWh usable, that is 91.35%.

Ford reserves more capacity which is actually good.

For 123kWh, assume 119kWh usable, if the range is 330 miles, then ideally it can do 2.7-2.8 miles per kWh.

If Lightning can do 2.44 miles per kWh, I think 2.7 miles per kWh is doable for CT due to its shape.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
F150 Lightning SR has 107.6 kWh, usable 98 kWh, 91%; ER has 143.4 kWh with 131 kWh usable, that is 91.35%. Ford reserves more capacity which is actually good.

For 123kWh, assume 119kWh usable, if the range is 330 miles, then ideally it can do 2.7-2.8 miles per kWh.

If Lightning can do 2.44 miles per kWh, I think 2.7 miles per kWh is doable for CT due to its shape.
Thanks for the F150 numbers. I added them to my Gsheet.

The rumors line up with the 2.7 (bottom below).
Tesla Cybertruck 123 kWh battery pack on Cybertruck (reported) ew75fyv

Cyberostachu

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla.Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If that 117 kwh usable battery pack is for dual motor and can get close at 2.8 to 3.0 miles per kwh, that would be nice. I can keep my dual motor order instead of changing to tri-motor. I'm assuming it's for dual because I thought I remember tri-motor has 200kwh +/_ 20.

Cyberostachu

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla.Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Makes sense. Original spec for dual motor was 300+. This should make a 300 mile EPA.
That really depends on the CT weight, wind, a/c, lead-foot. If the miles per kwh is over 2.5 then it's acceptable to go 300 miles. Good enough for dual motor.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
Yes auto correct to lbs over mi lol.

My current ICE 1/2 gets 225 miles a tank at 65mph pulling my 5500lb travel trailer. I was hoping to get to 200miles with CT. Otherwise it’s a perfect commute/ daily driver truck for me. We shall see on the 30th I guess.
Towing with EVs

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I've made the same observation here.

Of course, the disturbed air in the wake has an impact as well. That's a much more complicated calculation.

Tesla always said there were be low range variants. Why is it disappointing that they're doing what they said they would?

-Crissa
I agree, people are surprised there is a 300 mile version but that’s exactly what Tesla promised.

I have been saying for a long time that I think if Tesla is seeing a bottleneck with batteries they will start with a lower range versions. Why sell a single 200kW vehicle for 85k when you can sell two 100kW vehicles for $65k ea. and make more profit on a similar battery amount. That’s very generalized but it seems like the best choice to maximize profit with a limited resource.

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I really hope we get at least 400mi option at launch or very close to it. 300mi or less will be very disappointing and embarrassing especially when 500 miles was marketed in 2019 and the competition is delivering over 400 miles

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
Embarrassing. Zero reason not to put a larger pack, especially with $ per Kw being at the lowest in history. In terms of range, Tesla will already be behind the current competition.
1701056286717.png
This chart is further justification why we will NOT see a $100K+ Cybertruck.

Thank God. :)

"We have to make the Cybertruck affordable." - Elon Musk

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag

Practically, belavoid depleting

Assume that’s total pack, not usable

Usable probably ~10kWh fewer

Practical battery use: don't deplete below 10%, usually don't have patience to supercharge above 85%.

Practical range: distance to the next supercharger.

Yes auto correct to lbs over mi lol.

My current ICE 1/2 gets 225 miles a tank at 65mph pulling my 5500lb travel trailer. I was hoping to get to 200miles with CT. OtherwiseGood luck it’s a perfect commute/ daily driver truck for me. We shall see on the 30th I guess.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Secondly, if Tesla just put the 4680 V2s (aka Cybercells) on the 4680 Model Y, it would be quite close to the 2170 LR version, so they could just make LR ones, you as a customers wouldn't know or care what pack is in it
and yet, when 4680 Model Y was revealed, turns out it wasn't a long range, and not even the longest range, Model Y made available

instead, it was shorter range, and turned out to be used to make an affordable Model Y

set aside that they built only a few handfuls of them

regardless, the point isn't to has out the historical details

the point is that the historical details are FULL of reasons both for AND against just how numerous, how quickly, 4680 cells will be - much less to what end Tesla will deploy them (eg, people just assume they'll be used to make longer range vehicles, when Tesla has already shown once that's not necessarily their intended purpose)

but hey, i get it, from within the xwitter influenza echochamber of "recent tweet by Musk shows definitively that 4680 ramp is already to 10M cells/day," makes it hard to stay in critical thinking mode
Sponsored