TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
So repeating things abusers do as 'jokes' doesn't come to mind?

-Crissa
I'm not sure what exactly you're saying here. Throwcomp said verified accounts are the most prolific abusers. I asked if he could show that verified accounts are the biggest abusers. You said Babylon Bee, I'm saying they aren't a prolific abuser. Some of their jokes may be offensive, but that doesn't mean they are prolific in the various problems you and others mention when running a social media site that embraces free speech.

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I just don't get it. When Elon says he wants to improve/protect "freedom of speech" on Twitter, what exactly does he mean? Open source algorithms would be great. Sure.

But it sounds more like he wants to allow people to spread false information and hate speech. How is he planning to tackle these issues? Twitter has rules, and people who violate the rules need to be banned. That's pretty non-negotiable, and filtering the world's tweets looking for violations is notoriously difficult...near impossible.

Elon needs to be more clear on what changes he wants to make and how the twitter terms of use may or may not change. Until he clarifies this, people are going to keep freaking out.
"false information" - being against the narrative doesn't make something false. Witness where Twitter had to backtrack: Hunter's laptop was real, there are credible scientists that say that COVID may well have originated in the Wuhan lab, etc. A LOT more restraint is needed when setting oneself up as arbiter of what is true vs what is noise vs what is harmful.

"hate speech" - doxxing someone is an objective thing, either one did, or one didn't. Calling for violence against some person or group is more or less objective too; and the combination might well be criminal. But a substantial part of the rest of what some wish to call "hate speech" is in the eye of the beholder. THAT PART IS THEIR PROBLEM, NOT EVERYONE ELSE'S. If it hurts, just skip past it.

Much of what runs contrary to a "just mainstream everyone" agenda tends to be labeled hate speech; but absent threats of violence, it may well be PROTECTED under one of the other clauses of the 1st Amendment.

Not everyone will love you, your positions, your advocacy, or certain aspects of your conduct. They don't HAVE to be accepting of all that. Deal with it.

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm not sure what exactly you're saying here. Throwcomp said verified accounts are the most prolific abusers. I asked if he could show that verified accounts are the biggest abusers. You said Babylon Bee, I'm saying they aren't a prolific abuser. Some of their jokes may be offensive, but that doesn't mean they are prolific in the various problems you and others mention when running a social media site that embraces free speech.
Babylon Bee is a parody site of course; that means everything they say is not information at all - it's a perspective provoking inversion or emphasis on just certain aspects of what it parodies; like political cartoons, almost necessarily "false" if someone imagines that is should be an objective description of facts. Although sometimes their parodies have struck so close to the truth that they almost were information.

Is it polarizing? Yeah, probably. So are snowflakes "demonstrating" non-peacefully when a conservative speaker is invited to a college campus. Arguably the latter, using threats to intimidate, is far worse than humor.

OP
OP
TheLastStarfighter

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Babylon Bee is a parody site of course; that means everything they say is not information at all - it's a perspective provoking inversion or emphasis on just certain aspects of what it parodies; like political cartoons, almost necessarily "false" if someone imagines that is should be an objective description of facts. Although sometimes their parodies have struck so close to the truth that they almost were information.

Is it polarizing? Yeah, probably. So are snowflakes "demonstrating" non-peacefully when a conservative speaker is invited to a college campus. Arguably the latter, using threats to intimidate, is far worse than humor.
Again, let's keep this out of the dumpster and not call anyone snowflakes. Since we're all Tesla fans and Elon just bought a big company, it's an interesting side topic. As are his specific reasons, such as his stance on free speech. But derogatory terms have no place here and will get the discussion shut down.

pagesix1536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Nissan Leaf SL, 2014 Tesla Model S P85DL
Country flag

Seriously...for a message board about a tough pickup truck with bulletproof body panels, there's a lot of folks here with the thinnest of skins. Can't accept that comedy, satire, and jokes exist? Want platforms to ban the Bee? Toughen up buttercups.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Maybe we should try doing "I think you're saying" exercises? But I charge $150 hour and don't guarantee results. 🤪

It looks like the twitter deal might be changing people's opinions about EM and they are selling up their positions. I wonder how many shareholders are "ethically" motivated enough because of Twitter to dump their positions and risk returning to how things were?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheLastStarfighter

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Maybe we should try doing "I think you're saying" exercises? But I charge $150 hour and don't guarantee results. 🤪

It looks like the twitter deal might be changing people's opinions about EM and they are selling up their positions. I wonder how many shareholders are "ethically" motivated enough because of Twitter to dump their positions and risk returning to how things were?
Maybe. That and also concerned that Elon is adding more to his plate.

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
MyTwitter: @myteslacybertruck pick me up 15 minutes.

MyTeslaCybertruck: @MyTwitter As you wish my human overlord. Dropping off ride share clients then heading your way. Your cabin will be heated to your preferred tempature and your favorite music will be playing. I will open the door for you when I see you approach the vehicle.

I never used Twitter before, so is that how it's going to work?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
MyTwitter: @myteslacybertruck pick me up 15 minutes.

MyTeslaCybertruck: @MyTwitter As you wish my human overlord. Dropping off ride share clients then heading your way. Your cabin will be heated to your preferred tempature and your favorite music will be playing. I will open the door for you when I see you approach the vehicle.

I never used Twitter before, so is that how it's going to work?
Twitter should work exactly as you want it, need it and like to have it make your life a little tweeter(sp)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Maybe. That and also concerned that Elon is adding more to his plate.
Question is does this actually add more to his plate or finally mean he doesn't have to ponder how to buy Twitte and why he should or shouldn't?

Master of his own destiny means he slips into his director role and executes his plan. He doesn't need to ask anyone for permission, he doesn't need to turn a profit, he doesn't have to conform his tweets, and can direct conversation from his ceramic throne (with plumbing).

Twitter is technically not a product for sale anymore it is a public service, owned by one man.

OP
OP
TheLastStarfighter

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Question is does this actually add more to his plate or finally mean he doesn't have to ponder how to buy Twitte and why he should or shouldn't?

Master of his own destiny means he slips into his director role and executes his plan. He doesn't need to ask anyone for permission, he doesn't need to turn a profit, he doesn't have to conform his tweets, and can direct conversation from his ceramic throne (with plumbing).

Twitter is technically not a product for sale anymore it is a public service, owned by one man.
I think he's fine. People act like he designs the cars, digs the tunnels and flies the rockets. He sets the vision and hires the best people to do it.

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Again, let's keep this out of the dumpster and not call anyone snowflakes. Since we're all Tesla fans and Elon just bought a big company, it's an interesting side topic. As are his specific reasons, such as his stance on free speech. But derogatory terms have no place here and will get the discussion shut down.
Excuse me, I should have said "rioters", which would be descriptive of conduct; <sarcasm>wouldn't want to hurt someone with words if they want to hurt others with sticks and stones</sarcasm>.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I don't think he knows what he's getting into. It's a massive distraction.

The idea that Twitter isn't already the best website for free speech is misled. At no point has abuse, spam, and false statements been 'free speech'. Freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequence.

-Crissa
This will surely be the biggest mistake of Musks legacy. He does seem to lean republican in his political and business beliefs (thus the move to Texas). In my view the republicans talk a great talk in giving people more freedom with less government oversight but their actions do the opposite and if anything they give the rich (themselves) more freedom to oppress people. And lately many republicans seem to stoke fear and gaslight with lies to maintain whatever power they have. And they falsely project that others are doing the very misdeeds that they are trying to get away with. My soapbox moment is over.

I really don’t claim to be tied to one party or another and frequently I will vote for the other guys. My concern is that with this Twitter purchase Elon is going to think he is saving free speech by letting the things I mentioned above happen unhindered. That’s basically how most wars and genocides have happened. Thats how WW1 started with hitler. That’s why russia has convinced Russians to attack Ukraine. The stuff Russia says and how they make themselves look like victims of this war is unbelievable. That’s exactly how the Rwanda genocide happened. All because people were allowed to spread lies.

The fact that Elon believes Twitter is hindering free speech when it clearly is not is very concerning. Especially since he has more financial power than most people in the world. This is a much bigger concern to me than a distraction from our beloved CT.

Just like Elon, Hitler whole heartedly believed he was doing things for the betterment of humanity. I definitely don’t think Elon is malicious like Hitler (he already did offer to physically fight Putin) but it is very concerning that a rich guy is buying the largest social communication network to express his social agenda.

And finally to my point. This will either be a huge distraction and the CT will get delayed further or the negative and financial avalanche from this will cause them to need to claw back their coolness which would be achieved by an early release of the CT. Or nothing changes and now musk just happens to own Twitter and their is a link to view open source algorithm’s that 99% of the population can’t understand anyway.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.