Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I also have concern for build quality in early VINs, but - from what I've seen on Munro's and other channels, the accumulated offset (alignment) errors of stamped assembly parts, was one of the main problems Tesla aimed to solve once and for all by going to the casting methods to make front and rear internal structures.

Since they've shown us that castings are their way going forward and likely with the CT, I'm a little more encouraged or less concerned about that now, but of course there still could be more fit and alignment panel issues since the Exo-Skeleton is new, etc.

I hope they give us more definitive clarification of the trims (dual-motor, tri-motor, quad-motor/plaid, etc.) when they show us the new Cybertruck beta versions next month. If initial production is indeed to start in the summer, I hope they do an Updated Reveal sometime shortly before then.

-ÆCIII
Show your wife these pictures, and then the Cybertruck might not look so bad to her. Also for many I think the CT design tends to 'grow' on people:

1674761830963.png

1674761843714.png
1674761866944.png

1674761885707.png

1674761898478.png
1674761925400.png

1674761940310.png
1674761948900.png

"Look babe, these are much uglier than a Cybertruck!"
🤣 Thanks for doing my homework for me. I was just about to start searching for the top two ugliest cars.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I also have concern for build quality in early VINs, but - from what I've seen on Munro's and other channels, the accumulated offset (alignment) errors of stamped assembly parts, was one of the main problems Tesla aimed to solve once and for all by going to the casting methods to make front and rear internal structures.

Since they've shown us that castings are their way going forward and likely with the CT, I'm a little more encouraged or less concerned about that now, but of course there still could be more fit and alignment panel issues since the Exo-Skeleton is new, etc.

I hope they give us more definitive clarification of the trims (dual-motor, tri-motor, quad-motor/plaid, etc.) when they show us the new Cybertruck beta versions next month. If initial production is indeed to start in the summer, I hope they do an Updated Reveal sometime shortly before then.

-ÆCIII
I reserved a Tri-Motor with FSD the night of the reveal. I currently own a Model S and a Model 3 with FSD. I have the second lowest Tri-motor RN in Arkansas (a state very close to GigaAustin 😏) so the possibility of getting a very low VIN had given me some concern. But what are the "early VIN" problems that wouldn't be covered by the warranty? Panel gaps?!? 🤣 Panel gaps are of ZERO concern to me. I owed a dozen vehicles before I even heard the term "panel gaps" If it isn't an alignment error that causes doors to rub, rattle, or squeak, or wide enough to hang up on my clothes, I won't notice or care about it. I do worry that Tesla's propensity to under engineer (or is that over-engineer?🤔) components to see what breaks, I see that only as an inconvenience waiting on a warranty repair. My inclination is to believe that Tesla will be stress testing the CyberTruck more than they have stress tested anything. Their marketing of this product has emphasized it's durability, so any early failures would be a harsh blow. I tend to think that the early VINs may be more quality control tested than later models, so I feel reassured.

Is this motivated reasoning and wishful thinking??? Well... yeah. 😬 It's my coping strategy. Don't take that away from me. 😆

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
How do we define meaningful contribution to the bottom line. Cause in Elon's mind of FSD and robotaxis, that could still be a lot of $$,
I guess depends on what you mean by “Meaningful Volume”.

He also said “Slow Ramp” and volume manufacturing in 2024. Nothing about those two phrases suggests they are going to break 10k trucks in 2023.

Honestly… his comments made me wonder if even my 10k number was safe.
I like to imagine that meaninful volume to elon means 100k+

Also, I like to imagine my jesus in a tuxedo T-shirt cause it says, like, i want to be formal, but i want to party too.

I like to party so I like my Jesus to party too!

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Agree to disagree

1674830799684.jpeg
That's a good one. Lol. Yes, the smell of WD-40 is bearable and even nostalgic to a man, but imagine wiping down a whole Cybertruck with it, and leaving it in your garage, especially in the summer heat. Your wife / a woman will definitely complain about a stink in the garage.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
but imagine wiping down a whole Cybertruck with it, and leaving it in your garage
Now I'm aroused.

Your wife / a woman will definitely complain about a stink in the garage.
No, she loves the smell of WD also. I've used it liberally in one garage which is the metalworking and motorcycle/e-bike storage area. She loves it. And the other garage is the woodworking shop and that's another great smell. The cars live outside, where they belong.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
How do we define meaningful contribution to the bottom line. Cause in Elon's mind of FSD and robotaxis, that could still be a lot of $$,

I like to imagine that meaninful volume to elon means 100k+

Also, I like to imagine my jesus in a tuxedo T-shirt cause it says, like, i want to be formal, but i want to party too.

I like to party so I like my Jesus to party too!
All early production cars are sold at a big loss. Volume production happens well before there are enough sales that the ramp turns profitable. This means they could make 30K cars this year and it still wouldn't add to the bottom line (profit). It has to do with the way corporate accounting works.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Now I'm aroused.

No, she loves the smell of WD also. I've used it liberally in one garage which is the metalworking and motorcycle/e-bike storage area. She loves it. And the other garage is the woodworking shop and that's another great smell. The cars live outside, where they belong.
Now I’m wondering if there’s some on your bedside table. :ROFLMAO: 😨

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, SQ5, Cybertruck if Elon will build it!
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
WOAH! I was with you until that. WD smells almost as good as Hoppe's #9 gun cleaner.
100%... I get a warm feeling when I smell Hoppe's #9 - it reminds me of being a kid playing next to my Dad while he was working at his reloading bench... WD-40 is the same kind of flashback - it brings back memories of fixing crap that someone less mechanically inclined would have thrown away, but my Dad and I could fix. Like an old Carter dual-4-barrel carb or something.
Sponsored