NJturtlePower

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3 Stealth Performance
Country flag
I don't know about you guys but you definitely don't want the very first iterations of the CT. I would definitely want prob the CT that's about 1 year or more into production anyways. There's going to be a lot of bugs in the first round for sure and they will definitely be implementing design changes for the better.
I kinda agree with you as a Day-3 CT Tri-Motor res. holder.

I was a Day-1 Model 3 holder, invited in April 2018 but held off until June to config. I did jump on the unique Silver Metallic paint (June 2018 build LR RWD) and loved the car, but they only got cheaper as they ramped up, build quality got better and more options became available down the road.

Besides bragging rights there was really nothing to brag about with an early VIN. 🤷‍♂️

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Ummm, no!

Tesla typically delivers a car about a week after it's produced. That means that production date, for practical purposes, is the same as the delivery date. If you listened to the call, you know Elon was answering a question about when "official deliveries" would begin and Elon stated he hoped to start deliveries the middle of next year.

That means Tesla is planning to start initial production before July and the actual timeline of deliveries will depend upon whether they are able to stick to that timeline and how quickly they can get the line dialed in. I would prepare for some delays, maybe the earliest non-employee deliveries will be September-October but it also wouldn't surprise me if the first few hundred are in June if things go well.

I think the fact that the target date was pushed back last year increases the chances they will be able to hit the targeted date because the entire "to-do" list got more time.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Of course what Elon should say is: "Unlike other automakers, Tesla never runs into an issue and is always exactly on time. Real problems don't exist or, if we get really unlucky, we just slap it together without worrying about it and so we are never late."

Yeah, what a scumbag using weasel words like "should, maybe and hopefully". I'm so glad other automakers keep to strict timelines and never have unforeseen delays. ;)

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Remember Kids this is "Elon Time" so just like the immortal Mr. Scott, you must multiply your estimates by a factor of 4.
This is what Ford and GM would like people to believe. They are scared sh!tless that a significant portion of truck buyers are going to stop buying ICE trucks while they wait for a Cybertruck. If people think the Cybertruck timeline is a pipedream, they might just go ahead and order another new ICE truck. Ford and GM are depending upon this stream of revenue to avoid bankruptcy. They have huge debt and disruptions to their income stream in terms of reduced volume of their most profitable vehicles has a very magnified effect on their liquidity.

And before one of you wiseguys tells us how Cybertruck doesn't compete with legacy pickups, just stop! Of course it does. Cybertruck will gut legacy pickup sales, it will just take a few years to get to volumes that matter a lot. The real risk is all the future ICE customers who will stop buying new ICE trucks and that's what most of the FUD is aimed at reducing. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, Cybertruck will also gut full-sized SUV sales, the other category of high margin sales for legacy auto.

This is not rocket science, it's common sense if you just let your brain work as well as it's capable of. So much BS out there that sounds reasonable to people with poor analytic ability (and so many people with poor analytic ability). There is a cure for that and it's to stop letting your brain fool you.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For model 3, production started in July 2017 and first deliveries were in July 2017.

For model Y, production started in Jan 2020, and delivery began in March 2020.

Most likely we would see a launch more similar to Model Y, imo.
I disagree. Tesla held off deliveries of Model Y for a couple of months because it would have crushed the Q1 financials to deliver in volume in Q1. Accounting rules have real world consequences. Tesla's financials are much stronger/bigger now so that kind of scenario is considerably less likely. Deliveries will likely occur as the trucks roll off the lines.

When that is depends upon whether they are able to hit their anticipated timelines.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Didnt he say "We’re hoping to start delivery the middle of next year,”....Yeah at this point its like my mom used to say, hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills up first...this is getting sooooooo fucking old at this point.
You don't have to wait, go buy a Lightning, LOL! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh, that's right! Well, if he's so sick of waiting for Tesla he should buy a Rivian or a Hummer!

Errr, wait...o_O

OK then, I guess he should build his own EV truck then! :cool:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I don't know about you guys but you definitely don't want the very first iterations of the CT. I would definitely want prob the CT that's about 1 year or more into production anyways. There's going to be a lot of bugs in the first round for sure and they will definitely be implementing design changes for the better.
Whew I am safe. No early model for me!

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oh, that's right! Well, if he's so sick of waiting for Tesla he should buy a Rivian or a Hummer!

Errr, wait...o_O

OK then, I guess he should build his own EV truck then! :cool:
I’m doing precisely that while I wait impatiently to see if I’ve just given Tesla a £100 interest free loan since February 2019, still got my fingers crossed but times a ticking and I want to be driving an EV pickup now.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I’m doing precisely that while I wait impatiently to see if I’ve just given Tesla a £100 interest free loan since February 2019, still got my fingers crossed but times a ticking and I want to be driving an EV pickup now.
They can't actually use any of that money until they get you a truck, tho. So it hangs over their head.

-Crissa