Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Yep Volume production mid 23.

And he said equipment in 2 or so months, and did he say they would be getting things up and going ?

Finally !!! Will we receive information we crave for much sooner than we anticipate ?

We calculated a month or so ago, receiving the 9 ton Sept/Oct.
3 months to set up and production starting to gear up around March 23.

Volume = 5000 per week...250,000 per year.
A single 9 ton press can't do that, so we should be seeing 2 installed before March 23. ?

And if Volume is as we think, Can two 9 tons reach 300-400,000 per year by end of Dec 23 ?
Yeah, if the new giga casting machine can squeeze out 1 per 60 seconds, that'd be 480 per day running one shift on the machine. I see no reason the machine couldn't run 2 shifts... 960 per day is 4,800 per week which is a run rate of 240,000 per year with 2 weeks down time per year.

The old GM plant in Shreveport could pop out one S-10 every 54 seconds and THAT thing was probably more complicated than the Cybertruck in production (obviously, the CT is more complicated in general). I mean, the S10 had 27 different options for cross-body harness back in the day. Basically, every configuration available used a different wiring harness that went from the dash to the engine bay and that thing wasn't simple - it was about 6' long and the work station sucked for trying to engineer better flow...

Anyway, my point is that Tesla SHOULD be able to equal that feat if they can get materials fast enough.
A 54 second run time would pop out 533 vehicles per shift per day. How fast can one 9 ton giga caster make parts? (and remember, if there's only one giga caster for the CT line, it'll have to make two parts per truck... front and rear castings.

I didn't reserve right away but I AM within the first 500,000 ordered so it matters to me how fast they ramp up and how many they make per year... I'm sure it matters to almost everyone, actually.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, if the new giga casting machine can squeeze out 1 per 60 seconds, that'd be 480 per day running one shift on the machine. I see no reason the machine couldn't run 2 shifts... 960 per day is 4,800 per week which is a run rate of 240,000 per year with 2 weeks down time per year.

The old GM plant in Shreveport could pop out one S-10 every 54 seconds and THAT thing was probably more complicated than the Cybertruck in production (obviously, the CT is more complicated in general). I mean, the S10 had 27 different options for cross-body harness back in the day. Basically, every configuration available used a different wiring harness that went from the dash to the engine bay and that thing wasn't simple - it was about 6' long and the work station sucked for trying to engineer better flow...

Anyway, my point is that Tesla SHOULD be able to equal that feat if they can get materials fast enough.
A 54 second run time would pop out 533 vehicles per shift per day. How fast can one 9 ton giga caster make parts? (and remember, if there's only one giga caster for the CT line, it'll have to make two parts per truck... front and rear castings.

I didn't reserve right away but I AM within the first 500,000 ordered so it matters to me how fast they ramp up and how many they make per year... I'm sure it matters to almost everyone, actually.
If your reservation is under 100k or so, it’s most important when they start production. If your reservation is over 100k or so, it’s most important what “volume production” looks like in terms of units/ month.

If you are 550k down the line, it’s far more important that they crank out 10k/ week.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag

I think they mentioned in the Munro IDRA tour video the time between castings one of the 6 ton takes, based on how long it takes to cool the form. Can't remember off the top of my head exactly.

Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

that's where it gets interesting in what gets built first. I was only 46k in line on the Trimotor.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The Tri motor will be built last. lol

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
LOL. No. Tesla won't start out the Cybertruck by putting out a version that can be out towed, outrun, and out mileage by one of the legacy automakers. No. Tesla will start off by producing at least enough of the top of the line version just to be able to claim King of the Hill. Then, they may pop out some cheaper ones just to show they can... But, I kind of doubt they'll bother with the cheaper ones at least for a while.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I'm curious with all this talk of casting why not do a casting for inside the bed. That way they wouldn't have that piece of s*** plastic.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I'm curious with all this talk of casting why not do a casting for inside the bed. That way they wouldn't have that piece of s*** plastic.
I don't think the inside of the bed will be plastic. There was a prototype that had some plastic but I'll bet it'll be tougher than that. I'm hoping they just did that t o mock up the part for further fitment work. Sort of like that carpeted box they had on the floor in front of the center seat.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
… or be replaced by the quad motor completely. Or be released after the dual motor but before the single motor.

Its Schödinger’s Truck. We won’t know until it’s observed.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck (Reserved), Mazda 3 Hatchback
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Being Canadian is suffering.
  • Our deliveries will lag behind US deliveries, potentially for a while if it's a lengthy production ramp start
  • If I want my truck sooner rather than never, I'll need to switch to the quad motor config
  • In addition to the exchange rate, we're also getting hit with the Luxury Goods tax for anything over $100k CAD.
Sponsored