CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
I have to say I have really been enjoying the Tesla ride. I first became interested in the company when I watched one of Tony Seba's videos back in November 2019 about two weeks before the CT launch. I was thinking at the time that the CT might have a good use for package and people delivery in the robo-taxi universe, especially with it being really built to last. It seems to be now that with the cost analysis on the truck, Tesla may have decided that CT will not fit so well in the robo-taxi business. That is one possible reason why the production plans have been scaled back to 250K and the production delayed, along with many others. I am enjoying watching how Tesla has been dealing with multitude of issues cropping up in the last couple of years. They have been mopping the floor with the competition. Elon is running a massive corporation not making playground promises to kindergardeners. They are making boatloads of money on 3s and Ys and are getting way more butts in seats with those models, if a CEO didn't jump on that I would be voting for his removal, also it fits with the goal regarding the transition to sustainables. Elon you rock! But you better bring a SS truck someday because you promised, and I can't look at other trucks that look like princess wagons any more! (I hope that last statement isn't sexist, I have a hard time telling sometimes, no offense intended to princesses or otherwise) :):):)
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
FSD involves AI and AI is a special case. Intelligent people, like E.M., see the promise of AI and get so excited that they fail to see its obvious fundamental limitation. "By the end of the year" promises surrounding AI based systems started with Norbert Wiener in the 50's.
Yes, it has always been sad, and not at all good for AI (and not just ML) over the years, when people have made predictions about what would happen when. Since this was my field of study and work perhaps I am overly sensitive about it. Some of these people were visionaries and some were charlatans. I have no doubt that FSD will be successful enough to safely drive a car in most circumstances. I just don't see it happening this year to L4.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
L4 is mostly regulatory, anyhow. We'd need a fair long bit of testing before allowing it. All the parts have been demonstrated by someone now, though just not all at once in a single product.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
L4 is mostly regulatory, anyhow. We'd need a fair long bit of testing before allowing it. All the parts have been demonstrated by someone now, though just not all at once in a single product.

-Crissa
Yesterday I was on FSD for almost 6 miles (straight road, 3 simple lights, no turns) of a 20 mile trip before FSD did something so aggregious I had to disengage. That was it for the trip. I am on 10.8.1 so I'll try some more if/when I get the 10.9 upgrade. How did it fail? Navigation wants it to turn left at a light. It put the signal on to move into the left turn lane but didn't. So I nudged it with the turn signal and it moved over one lane but not 2, so it missed its turn. When we got close to the light it suddenly decided that it had to turn left with a bunch of cars on our left in the left turn lane it was supposed to be in. So I had no choice but to disengage and report. Of course, there was another (preferred) light a few hundred feet further along. One of my complaints about Tesla navigation on FSD is that it won't let me override its route while on FSD, which could have saved this disengagement...maybe.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
He doesn't promise it. He says 'I hope' or 'I would be surprised' or 'I expect'.

And that's just one thing, it's not all the things.

-Crissa
On more than 1 occasion over the past few years Musk has given people the impression that FSD was not far out.

I know that’s not a “Promise”. But a lot of people aren’t that literal.

NJturtlePower

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3 Stealth Performance
Country flag
Another point to add to the recent frustrations of the "Not-a-product-Roadmap" were the recent Cyber Gear drops.

Cyberwhistle, CyberKids Quad, even Belt Buckle....What was all this flare and hype for if nothing in detail was coming? :(

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Another point to add to the recent frustrations of the "Not-a-product-Roadmap" were the recent Cyber Gear drops.

Cyberwhistle, CyberKids Quad, even Belt Buckle....What was all this flare and hype for if nothing in detail was coming? :(
Well, lots of people said they heard disappointment in Elon and the execs' voices. Remember, they're excited to bring these things to market, too. It's a big blow to them when they can't.

Just seeing how much my spouse beats herself up when she's not able to deliver a feature at work on time or has to shift back to mechanical programming instead of the new features... There is real disappointment there they experience.

-Crissa

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
This entire site is at various stages of grief. We're working shit out, man.

I crossed into "acceptance" about an hour ago. And I. Am. O. K.

Really. I'm OK.
Glad you are okay and that's okay. I'm disappointed with the latest news but. First world problems of not getting our shiny new truck when we want it is petty but we can vent here. Complaining about cuts in line for different motor configuration or fear of a price hike, wipers, mirrors, steering yoke, bed color, delays, delays delays. No one is going to bed hungry because CTs aren't being built. That thought makes me shut my pie hole.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Lot's of short-sighted impatient people in here. Elon's not worried about anyone's 'wants' or personal timeline expectations, as he is focused on actual needs and the overall sustainability mission. Many of us have all known what 'Elon Time' has meant for years now, and have come to appreciate that whenever his model's do get released, they have always been well worth the wait.

I do think it would be smart for someone just to go ahead and get a Model Y while they wait, if that can suit some of their needs. Tesla does need to scale the Model Y first because there is huge demand for it that will be far ahead of production for a long time. It makes no sense to spread Tesla's efforts and resources across different models while ramping is still occurring for the Model Y, and Elon said this during the last call. If someone gets a Model Y now, they'll easily be able to recoup much of it's purchase price should they want to sell it or trade it in when the Cybertruck production starts ramping up. Demand for it will still be ahead of production for a very long time.

It's not like Elon's doing a gazillion other things such as building new factories and reusable starships, making advances in AGI, FSD and Neuro-link bio-tech or anything - wait, he certainly is doing that isn't he?...

Salute to all those who have worked at building Starbase and Giga-Texas to make it what it is today. Elon is one of the few entrepreneurs who grasps the magnitude of scaling manufacturing processes, and how scaling requires huge foundational manufacturing infrastructures to be in place first. Those who've helped build Giga-Texas and Starbase have contributed in a hugely important role.

For those who 'can't wait' for the Cybertruck because of somehow thinking that 'Elon owes you something', you always have the option to cancel - more for the rest of us. You can always try to go out and build your own factories. Good Luck with that.

Last edited:

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
2020 delays and shortages effect entire auto industry, according us MSM, Tesla is the most affected.

More at 11.
Sponsored