TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
You do know the odds of something bad happening to them is less today than any time in the last eighty years, right?

-Crissa
Because parents drive them to school now.
Sponsored

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
You do know the odds of something bad happening to them is less today than any time in the last eighty years, right?

-Crissa
I'm well aware Crissa. This is something I frequently argue with whomever I engage with on the topic.

However, that doesn't win over everyone, including their mother.

There is also the fact that the place where I grew up was designed with pedestrians in mind, and was far more bike friendly. Where I live now, it's the opposite. The public transport system is also very poor.

If I had my way, the hubby and I would do things differently (live elsewhere etc.), but the ex-wife isn't aligned, so what can one dad do?

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Because parents drive them to school now.
Not really, violent crime has been on the decline for decades, in fact, it's been a great mystery. One theory was the shift away from leaded gasoline, but not sure how legit that is.

What has increased significantly is our awareness of threats, even distant ones. 24 hour news cycle, being plugged in all the time with our phones feedings us a steady cycle of bad news. Amber alerts creating creepy sounding notifications on everyone's phone simultaneously (not saying that those alerts are bad in that case) don't help the paranoia.

When I was growing up, you had local news, a little international news, and much of it was consumed at a leisurely pace from a newspaper if it took your interest. Now if a kid is missing it's broadcast around the globe. So naturally everyone thinks "how bad things are these days", where as the opposite is true.

Personally I don't watch news, I usually get it from something like the Economist once a week when I have a subscription. There is little to be gained from the constant mania of the news cycle.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Not really, violent crime has been on the decline for decades, in fact, it's been a great mystery. One theory was the shift away from leaded gasoline, but not sure how legit that is.

What has increased significantly is our awareness of threats, even distant ones. 24 hour news cycle, being plugged in all the time with our phones feedings us a steady cycle of bad news. Amber alerts creating creepy sounding notifications on everyone's phone simultaneously (not saying that those alerts are bad in that case) don't help the paranoia.

When I was growing up, you had local news, a little international news, and much of it was consumed at a leisurely pace from a newspaper if it took your interest. Now if a kid is missing it's broadcast around the globe. So naturally everyone thinks "how bad things are these days", where as the opposite is true.

Personally I don't watch news, I usually get it from something like the Economist once a week when I have a subscription. There is little to be gained from the constant mania of the news cycle.
I think it's a mix. My post was half-joking. I don't think the world is dramatically more dangerous than in years past, which is often a mindset, particularly with kids. Partly because we are aware of it like you say. But our awareness also makes us more safe. Your local priest or scout leader was often trusted unconditionally to take your kid on an overnight trip. Now, we ask more questions.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
You have to drop your kids to school lest the bad man on the news gets them.

Believe me, I think about it every morning when I'm up at the crack of dawn to get them to school.

I caught a bus from a very young age, my mother walked me to the bus stop a few times and then I was expected to do it myself. Then later I rode my bike. My kids though? Nope.
My kids wish we would put them on a bus or let them bike but it’s too weird out there these days.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
So, my inner child keeps laughing here about the title.

Has anyone else ever heard the phrase "I'm dropping the kids off at the pool"???

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
I think it's a mix. My post was half-joking. I don't think the world is dramatically more dangerous than in years past, which is often a mindset, particularly with kids. Partly because we are aware of it like you say. But our awareness also makes us more safe. Your local priest or scout leader was often trusted unconditionally to take your kid on an overnight trip. Now, we ask more questions.
But isn’t it sad when those experiences are taken away from them? And no exercise from biking to school either.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
But isn’t it sad when those experiences are taken away from them? And no exercise from biking to school either.
Agreed, they don't face those sorts of challenges as much anymore.

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
Those kids at my 5yo daughter's school yell at me in the MYP and say things like 'nice tesla - very stylish' lol I can't WAIT to see that they say to this; fart button will for-sure be at the ready.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
Same! If I’m lucky enough to get mine by next fall (~30,800), I’ll be taking the morning of his first day of high school off just for that reason! 🤣
Sponsored