Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
So Tesla announced that the Model S Tri motor variant will have > 1100hp? Does anyone have thoughts about if the motors for the CT3 will have the same motor configuration? I mostly see specs for the CT3 being between 750-800HP including more recent posts/articles. I know that previously in the Model S, Tesla was able to unlock more HP from the same motors in the dual motor Model S if they had larger batteries. My thoughts are if the Model S trimotor and the CT3 have the same motors and the CT has a larger battery pack, could the CT3 exceed possibly 1100hp?
Sponsored

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I have read — don’t remember where — that the Trimotor Cybertruck would have dual Model S motors in the rear and a single Model 3 motor up front. Horsepower ratings were listed in a video by Sandy Munro.

OP
OP

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I have read — don’t remember where — that the Trimotor Cybertruck would have dual Model S motors in the rear and a single Model 3 motor up front. Horsepower ratings were listed in a video by Sandy Munro.
New question: What motor is the Model S Plaid then using up front?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You are letting yourselves be duped by the marketing types. A motor rated X hp delivers X hp only under certain conditions. Do you want 2*X from this motor? Easy beans. Just increase the voltage (and load) and it will deliver 2*X. The unspoken question is "For how long?" If you double the load on it it will get hot and, depending on the insulation, wire size, steel etc. perhaps eventually burn out. When evaluating these cars the best I can think of to do is look at the 0-60 spec, assume the acceleration is constant and, from the estimate of mass, calculate the power required to support that acceleration at 59.999 mph (P = m*a*v). This will give you a total HP number for the vehicle but doesn't say how it is distributed among the motors.

There are a couple of strategies for motor placement and at least two types of motors: induction and synchronous. The former produces more torque at startup and the other is more efficient. All I can say with fair certainty is that the MX has a synchronous motor at the front and an induction motor at the rear.

OP
OP

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
You are letting yourselves be duped by the marketing types. A motor rated X hp delivers X hp only under certain conditions. Do you want 2*X from this motor? Easy beans. Just increase the voltage (and load) and it will deliver 2*X. The unspoken question is "For how long?" If you double the load on it it will get hot and, depending on the insulation, wire size, steel etc. perhaps eventually burn out. When evaluating these cars the best I can think of to do is look at the 0-60 spec, assume the acceleration is constant and, from the estimate of mass, calculate the power required to support that acceleration at 59.999 mph (P = m*a*v). This will give you a total HP number for the vehicle but doesn't say how it is distributed among the motors.

There are a couple of strategies for motor placement and at least two types of motors: induction and synchronous. The former produces more torque at startup and the other is more efficient. All I can say with fair certainty is that the MX has a synchronous motor at the front and an induction motor at the rear.
=) I fully understand the above. I also understand there is some usually some safe headroom as well and if the headroom is enough and the extra battery power is there, Tesla can adjust things *just* as they have already done in the past releasing some extra HP. All speculative of course for the Cybertruck.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Pretty simple to say all these numbers people are giving out on Horsepower of the CT are educated guesses. I have not seen anything come directly from Elon or Tesla which confirms what the Horsepower rating will be. I also don’t get to caught up in this.. it is just a number after all.

a 1000hp electric motor acts VERY differently from a 1000hp ICE vehicle.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
So Tesla announced that the Model S Tri motor variant will have > 1100hp? Does anyone have thoughts about if the motors for the CT3 will have the same motor configuration? I mostly see specs for the CT3 being between 750-800HP including more recent posts/articles. I know that previously in the Model S, Tesla was able to unlock more HP from the same motors in the dual motor Model S if they had larger batteries. My thoughts are if the Model S trimotor and the CT3 have the same motors and the CT has a larger battery pack, could the CT3 exceed possibly 1100hp?
So you think that <2.9 sec 0-60 and 14,000 pounds towing isn’t enough. Have you driven a Tesla? A 4 sec 0-60 is kind of scary.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
There are several posts here saying basically the same thing. Elon referred to it as the "Plaid Cybertruck", so it's safe to say it's the same powertrain as the Plaid Model S. The model S Performance uses a 500 hp rear motor, and a 250 hp front motor from the model 3. Total motor HP is 750, but a good analysis from a top car mag (can't remember which one) broke it down explaining how the total electric motor HP is not the true HP of the car, and the real world HP of a MSP is around 660. Sounds about right when you watch it competing with high horsepower cars like Lambos and Hellcats.

Moving on to plaid and a third motor, they are of course going to be the same motors in the rear, running the two rear wheels. If they want a power upgrade it has to be the performance motor , so 250 + 500X2. That gives you 1250 total motor HP, but using a similar real vehicle HP output vs motor power as above, 1100HP for the tri motor cars sounds about right.

And now I'm just sitting here giddy, sipping my beer and being thankful - and a bit awestruck - that we live in a world that a vehicle is coming that is cool as hell, bullet proof, hauls a bunch of stuff, fits the family and has 1000+ Hp... and uses no gas. I feel like my 7 year old self drew this up and I can hear my brothers laughing and saying Corvettes don't even make 300hp. I want to tell that kid and all kids that dreams come true from time to time.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
Cybertruck is a truck of course and it's build will reflect its abilities, being able to carry 3500 lbs in load and tow 14000 lbs of trailer and in a 1/2 ton truck that is just plain awesome. With Tesla planning Cybertruck's specifications being able to do 0-60 mph in 2.9 what more can you ask? That's the reality that can not be found in another truck maker.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I do that on my Zero, and it's the slow one ^-^

Got a little squiggly today when I tried it, the street was wet. Hee!

-Crissa
Ok now you were having too much fun, no more wet burnouts.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I do that on my Zero, and it's the slow one ^-^

Got a little squiggly today when I tried it, the street was wet. Hee!

-Crissa
0-60 on a crotch rocket is no big deal, but the same acceleration in a car is something to be revered, let alone a tank.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla mayalso select one or more motors that are larger than the ones used in their smaller cars. Because the truck will expect to be under heavy load for longer, and it has more space tomadd bulk to cool.

Changing the coils in a motor gives it different capabilities.

I expect the design to be shared with the Plaid models, but the motors to actually not be the same exact ones.

-Crissa
Sponsored