Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I read an article that the Volkswagen ID BUZZ will start around $60k USD. I bet a well equipped model would cost $80k. https://electrek.co/2022/05/31/vw-id-buzz-electric-minibus-price/

I had considered this an alternate to the CT albeit difference vehicles. People that lean towards vans may also.

Less range, not as off-road capable, not as durable, less payload, but lots of enclosed volume, flexibility to carry 6-8 people with comfort and easier to park.

Volkswagen has had a lot of time to think about pricing. I think this is telling to what we might expect with the CT. CT2 with 4ws and ~300 mile range for @ $59k would still be a comparable value.
Sponsored

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I read an article that the Volkswagen ID BUZZ will start around $60k USD. I bet a well equipped model would cost $80k. https://electrek.co/2022/05/31/vw-id-buzz-electric-minibus-price/

I had considered this an alternate to the CT albeit difference vehicles. People that lean towards vans may also.

Less range, not as off-road capable, not as durable, less payload, but lots of enclosed volume, flexibility to carry 6-8 people with comfort and easier to park.

Volkswagen has had a lot of time to think about pricing. I think this is telling to what we might expect with the CT. CT2 with 4ws and ~300 mile range for @ $59k would still be a comparable value.
Another EV that is "somewhere down the road"

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Current production in Europe. U.S. version 2024. Hope it is as cool as my 1979 VW Bus "Deluxe"

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I would be shocked if the Quad Motor MSRP came in below $89,900. Just look at "new" Quad Motor Rivian R1T pricing for reference.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I would be shocked if the Quad Motor MSRP came in below $89,900. Just look at "new" Quad Motor Rivian R1T pricing for reference.
Why would you estimate that the Cybertruck which was launched with a high price lower than the Rivian would end up with a final price higher than the Rivian?

-Crissa

kfede1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvettes, F15...
Occupation
Assassin
Country flag
Why are you comparing prices to a year ago when supply was limited to a year from now when supply will no longer be limited?

Tesla has always made their price targets, plus ten to twenty k for features not in the original prototype (such as performance packages, seat material upgrades).

Perhaps the Plaid version will be $35k more, like the S and X, but whatever it will be is exceeding the specs of the original prototype.

I don't think the quad motor and rear-wheel steering will exceed trimotor pricing; Tesla wants to beat the competition, not just make money. Following previous patterns, they would only put these in if they could figure out how to do it by saving parts.

So no price increases is my bet. At least for early reservations.

-Crissa
I am less convinced that Elon will honor pricing. When has Elon ever kept a promise? The man's word is meaningless.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Um... Not saying your price estimate is wrong but using a comparison to Rivian as the evidence seems suspect. Rivian is currently losing money on every truck produced. Tesla is making a relatively huge profit margin on each vehicle it produces so far.

Given that, I'd say the Rivian pricing either should be much higher for what they are shipping (and thus probably be unable to be sold due to price) or they will need to find a way to drastically lower their production costs. So if you try to compare the proposed CT price to Rivian, the only price that makes sense is a fantastical Rivian price where Rivian has somehow managed to drastically control costs and possibly even lowered the final sales price.

I don't know what the final CT price will be. But I am certain that the current Rivian price has absolutely no bearing on where the CT price will end up.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am less convinced that Elon will honor pricing. When has Elon ever kept a promise? The man's word is meaningless.
When hasn't he? No, he didn't promise you level 5 autonomy. He did promise reusable, propulsively landing rockets, falcon wing doors, and plaid propulsion and we've gotten that.

-Crissa

kfede1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvettes, F15...
Occupation
Assassin
Country flag
Crissa... Uhh.. Ok, Elon promised the Cybertruck a year ago. He promised full self driving, He did a hostile takeover of Twitter (to be able to publish his dubious ramblings) and now he is trying to back out of it based on "Bot Count" which was never part of the original offer. So I reverse the question... When has Elon kept his word in the face of adversity? Elon also overrode his experts on the FSD platform. His Logic (????) was that people drive with their eyes, so cars can to. Well, there is this new fangled thing (Optical illusions). Shadow might be seen as an obstruction and the Tesla slamming on the brakes in heavy highway traffic. Musk single-handedly handcuffed his developers by denying them important inputs, such as radar or LIDAR to verify a shadow versus a boulder in the road. You may have noticed FSD is under a recall right now.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Why would you estimate that the Cybertruck which was launched with a high price lower than the Rivian would end up with a final price higher than the Rivian?

-Crissa
This right here.

The base Cybertruck was $30k less than the Rivian at launch.

The fear mongers want to claim the new base price is going to be higher than the Rivian’s base by $10,000 or more.

Makes no sense.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Crissa... Uhh.. Ok, Elon promised the Cybertruck a year ago.
I don't know about what time zone you're posting from, but 'late 2021' was over only a little more than six months ago as I type this.

He promised full self driving,
His hopes and expectations aren't promises. Even so, one promise is not characteristic of all promises.

He did a hostile takeover of Twitter
That still hasn't happened. He hasn't handed over the cash yet.

When has Elon kept his word in the face of adversity?
Landing rockets. Fast electric cars. Autopilot safety. Production numbers.

Elon also overrode his experts on the FSD platform.
His experts?

His Logic (????) was that people drive with their eyes, so cars can to. Well, there is this new fangled thing (Optical illusions). Shadow might be seen as an obstruction and the Tesla slamming on the brakes in heavy highway traffic. Musk single-handedly handcuffed his developers by denying them important inputs, such as radar or LIDAR to verify a shadow versus a boulder in the road.
People do drive with their eyes. Illusions also occur to other sensors - radar sees harder, faster objects more brightly, and stationary objects more dimly. Both radar and lidar are double obfuscated by rain. They can't read signs or tell what type of object something is. And they're expensive. And they do nothing for object permanence and object recognition, which is really important here.

Radar sees shadows around metal objects which are so bright and yet absorb the radar signals. Lidar gets surface reflectivity, distances, but literally nothing else. Humans are familiar with the illusions from vision, but they're not familiar with the ones from other senses as much.

You may have noticed FSD is under a recall right now.
Is it? What are they recalling? Are you referring to the request that they act robotic at stop signs? Which they fixed in the next instantaneous update?

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Ok, Elon promised the Cybertruck a year ago.
6 months ago.

When has Elon kept his word in the face of adversity?
Have you ever heard on this thing called an electric car?

Teslas entire success is based on building a company in spite of adversity.

SpaceX? The Boring Company?

All of Musks companies were met with ridicule and derision from the start. What exactly do you consider “adversity”?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag