Tenksen

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
A different subject but lane splitting or filtering here in UK, is safer for all involed and should not be illegal anywhere.

It actually keeps you away from harmful vehicles and clears your view of the road ahead. This in turn also eases congestion making it easier for cars to get around.

OP
OP
Tenksen

Tenksen

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
The only issue I have with replacing mirrors with cameras is that mirrors show a 3D image while screens are 2D. There is a lot of information and detail lost in an image vs a mirror.
There is slight issue there by reports of Honda E drivers here in the UK. The issue is when looking forward then changing to screen it can take a moment for your eyes to adjust to a flat screen instead of mirror. takes a moment to get depth perception sorted.

They say you eventually adapt to that and get used to it but it's worth noting.

I think its largely down to the tech in the screen as high refresh rate on a decent screen gives excellent depth perception. I think its something they can fix for cars.

As for detail I dont think that's an issue as almost all screens are decent res now.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Simple test. Sit back in your seat. Look at an object displaying on the left of the mirror. Cover your right eye. Then uncover the right and cover the left.

You'll see the object disappear from the mirror.

Because the tiny amount of angle difference means the amount of binocular vision through the mirror is a narrow band in the middle, if at all.

It's not an issue with cameras.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Tenksen

Tenksen

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I have not been too active online lately so havnt engaged in this thread as much as I would have liked, I will say though some good opinions on here.

My opinion after reading the comments from the pro crowd to the con crowd is I think they are certainly ready.

Did not know it was EU/US law barrier stopping the full camera option. However if car manufacturers make mirrors easily removable that could be a good thing as you are likely to get both.

Also a surprise shocker that filtering is not largely legal in the US!

I love America but come on guys sort that out! Your normal roads are huge and almost like motorways are here 😂 (motorway=highways in America?)

Could probably filter with 2 bikes together lol.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I have not been too active online lately so havnt engaged in this thread as much as I would have liked, I will say though some good opinions on here.

My opinion after reading the comments from the pro crowd to the con crowd is I think they are certainly ready.

Did not know it was EU/US law barrier stopping the full camera option. However if car manufacturers make mirrors easily removable that could be a good thing as you are likely to get both.

The trouble with removeable mirrors and cameras is that there willl now be a lot more wasted stuff ( mirrors, mirror housing, motor, cables) in the environment once mirrors removed.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Elon has said more than once that the current state of Federal law in the US requires them to deliver the car with side view mirrors but that same law does not require that the purchaser doesn't immediately remove them. It's perfgectly legal, in some states, to drive without sideview mirrors. And the side repeater cameras make that a viable option.
I wish these other guys would understand this simple point. If you want the damn mirror just leave it on the truck. End of discussion. For that matter, take the puny ones Tesla gives you and put a real man's mirror on. I have towed small trailers and my boat and it is important to have a good side view on both sides. I do not personally care how I get it but it has to be a good view in all conditions. IF I can get it with a camera and appropriately-positioned monitor that is the route I would choose. Personal choice only.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The trouble with removeable mirrors and cameras is that there willl now be a lot more wasted stuff ( mirrors, mirror housing, motor, cables) in the environment once mirrors removed.
The cameras are coming with the truck already so you do not have to concern yourself about 'that' kind of waste. The last I heard all mirrors are removeable/replaceable so that isn't a waste. Just put them where you store your stock floor mats (if you want to remove them).

Frank Mendez

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3, mkzh, f150
Occupation
sales
Country flag
Mmm. I believe you can now move where it is on the screen so that it works with your ergonomics.

That's a very good point; ergonomics varies by driver. Mirrors are up and above to avoid this problem, but they still sometimes get blocked or clipped or fogged up 'cause they're sticking out there. And the instrument panel can get obscured all the time.

Replacing the rear-view position with them might be a better solution. We'll see.

But the view out of my cameras is superior to any mirror I've had - they can see in the dark, they can have measurements on them, they don't mess with my astigmatism - so I am totally there for them to start replacing mirrors.

-Crissa
Something that drives me crazy too is the flashing of the turn signals. Not sure what could be done for this but it tends to also make it difficult at night to easily see the side is clear.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Something that drives me crazy too is the flashing of the turn signals. Not sure what could be done for this but it tends to also make it difficult at night to easily see the side is clear.
Huh, mine I can only see if they reflect off things, so they're an extra layer of 'is there something in the dark'. Who put your signals somewhere the driver needs to look? Or didn't test with the cameras? That's terrible.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Related to thread:
TESLA CyberTruck Wind Tunnel Testing - SHOCKING Results (w/ Cd figures measured)

Re: [Very little Cd difference WITHOUT side mirrors! See table below]
Turns out in this example given the Cybertrucks shape that it makes very little difference so it does not at all seem worth the trouble. I bet dropping 1 MPH is even better efficiency improvement [though I haven't tried ABRP as an example to see that ;) ].

Tesla Cybertruck Pointless Cybertruck mirrors! jghgky2-

Tesla Cybertruck Pointless Cybertruck mirrors! b3uqjem-

Gigahorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Related to thread:
TESLA CyberTruck Wind Tunnel Testing - SHOCKING Results (w/ Cd figures measured)

Re: [Very little Cd difference WITHOUT side mirrors! See table below]
Turns out in this example given the Cybertrucks shape that it makes very little difference so it does not at all seem worth the trouble. I bet dropping 1 MPH is even better efficiency improvement [though I haven't tried ABRP as an example to see that ;) ].

jghgky2-jpg.jpg

b3uqjem-jpg.jpg
Saw that video in the wind tunnel, was surprised how little the mirrors added :(
I was hoping pulling the mirrors off would add15+ miles of range

Cyberer

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 S, Multiple Classics
Occupation
Cars
Country flag
Took a hiatus… returned… still discussing side mirrors while drawing lines in the sand.

No mirrors, no glass, external cameras, every line of sight surface a video image.

BAW up if you agree
Ha ha...YES!
Sponsored