Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I suspect people don’t look at the maps or do route planning to non-urban areas. Look at Tesla’s own SC map. Look at all that white. Using ABRP app, If I want to visit my brother in Idaho I have ONE route I can drive. If a highway is closed due to accident, weather, etc., then I’m screwed. Too often folks look only at their own circumstances and fail to comprehend the realities of others.
if a highway is closed then you can't get gas either I presume for an ICE. As for a SC.....get a hotel and plug into the wall.
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
if a highway is closed then you can't get gas either I presume for an ICE. As for a SC.....get a hotel and plug into the wall.
So run an extension cable from the parking lot up to your second story room through the locked door and to the closest socket? That's convenient.

And just cause a highway is closed does not mean that the ICE fuel stations are closed. There will be multiple stations on either side of the highway closure.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
No, he does have a good point. Especial if towing since range is so much shorter.

Usually is not much of a problem with ICE cars and especially ICE trucks towing because most have a full tank range much longer than BEV. They also can easily bring extra gas in jerry cans.

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
I definitely want 1000 km, that is the Tanami road between chargers (and mostly hydrocarbons aswell!). We are a bit shy on chargers of any type. I live in the east of Victoria. I do tow a medium sized float and my Subi suffers and revs a lot on hills. I have checked on the Oz sites for chargers, and sometimes it is a long way round...and only chargers a motels or someplace with a 240V outlet! At $50 to charge!!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
From time to time we need to step back and appreciate that the supporting infrastructure for BEV adoption is not by any means complete. The places where BEVs are most in use still need more chargers and more sevice centers. Lot's more.

We also need to understand that just because BEVs are clearly the future of transportation it does not mean that they are, at this time, the best transportation choice for every user for every application. A BEV may not be the best solution for some of you at this time or, for that matter, ever. If you really want to go that route in circumstances where every trip is an adventure, then you need to accept that you are a pioneer and be prepared to put up with the associated difficulties.

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Why do you think that? The statement lacks logic.

Gas stations are ubiquitous. If highway A is closed highway B is open and there are thirty gas stations along the way for the next 100 miles. So mabtimes gas stations are built across the street from each other to compete for business. Super chargers are here and there. Spotty coverage. Again, maybe where YOU are they are one every corner. Where THIS cyber dog lives there are 3 in the state and they are hundreds of miles apart.

In January I moved my daughter to Salt Lake City, UT. We drove through Wyoming. It was time-sensitive for us to arrive in SLC at a certain time. An unexpected snow storm hit overnight and closed the highway we were on. We had to drive back the way we came, go a different route through the mountains on snow packed two lanes state highways for 235 miles to bypass the closed Interstate highway. Not a single charging station along the route however, dozens of gas stations.

Had I drove an EV our options would have extremely limited. This is just one example where ICE infrastructure is currently superior. Over the decades that will change.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I drove into Connecticut in an ICE vehicle several years back in the early fall. I was getting low on gas. A freak snowstorm had dropped a ton of wet, heavy snow on a wide area and knocked out the power over most of it. The ubiquitous gas stations stood across the street corners from one another unable to compete because none of them could pump gas. Running on fumes we tried station after station in town after town until we spotted a long line of cars. One operator had a backup generator.

Point being, of course, that it can happen with petrol too (remember the oil embargo?). The other point is the same as in my earlier post. The infrastructure for electric is still building.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I think the "rare circumstance with a highway blocked" or whatever scenario favors electric cars at this stage. There are more charge points in Nova Scotia than there are gas stations now. Superchargers, no, there will be 4 by next year. But you can charge almost everywhere. I could charge at Ikea. I can't get gas at Ikea.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Coverage in Nebraska seems to be about the same. Chargers everywhere.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Here in Houston we got chargers all over.. Seem a bit odd because this is Oil country. But I managing to get around with my PHEV using very little gas.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
From time to time we need to step back and appreciate that the supporting infrastructure for BEV adoption is not by any means complete. The places where BEVs are most in use still need more chargers and more sevice centers. Lot's more.

We also nee to understand that just because BEVs are clearly the future of transportation it does not mean that they are, at this time, the best transportation choice for every user for every application. A BEV may not be the best solution for some of you at this time or, for that matter, ever. If you really want to go that route in circumstances where every trip is an adventure, then you need to accept that you are a pioneer and be prepared to put up with the associated difficulties.
I find your thoughts here to be incredibly offensive.

I totally get that most people will be buying a CT that will be used to tinker around town. That will use only like 25% of the capabilities of the CT.

But the people who are asking for more range are reporting that they want to use the CT for exactly the 2 big situations it is being marketed to. Out of all the use cases, the biggest WOW factors are for 14k lbs towing and the Baja 1000 off-roading capability. The people who are nervous about range are saying they want to go to remote locations or tow larger trailers.

By saying the CT is not for them (possibly EVER) you are essentially calling EM an Tesla bald face liars.

Far be it from us lowly buyers to want to actually use the CT for what it’s full capabilities are. Sure, there may be difficulties at first. Let’s talk through temporary work-arounds. But let’s keep the rabid condescension out of it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I find your thoughts here to be incredibly offensive.
There are three possibilities here
1)You are talking about some other post
2)You didn't read the post
3)Your reading comprehension is incredibly low.

By saying the CT is not for them (possibly EVER) you are essentially calling EM an Tesla bald face liars.
4)You have access to some pretty strong stuff to smoke.
EM would, of course, completely agree with me. He got where he is today by possessing, among other things, a good measure of common sense.

Far be it from us lowly buyers to want to actually use the CT for what it’s full capabilities are. Sure, there may be difficulties at first. Let’s talk through temporary work-arounds. But let’s keep the rabid condescension out of it.
I really try my best to communicate with those in the lower quartiles but I am not always successful.

Now that last sentence is condescending. Now that you know what it means you might be able to use it better in your writing.
Sponsored