Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I read somewhere that the vehicle could be wrapped as opposed to the painting which apparently is difficult on the stainless.
Sponsored

Homestead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Diesel VW, F350, Prius Prime
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I read somewhere that the vehicle could be wrapped as opposed to the painting which apparently is difficult on the stainless.
Is the stainless ferromagnetic? I operate a traveling billboard, sort of, and wonder if magnetic signs will stick.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
300 series generally isn't. 30X?

Izithereyet

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, gestating cybertruck
Occupation
Veterinarian
Country flag
Anyone know if they will make it so you can pull adjacent to chargers and charge? It will be difficult with a horse trailer to charge on a longer trip.
Also, any notion what range is when towing?

Snuups

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Painting is not difficult it's different. If you never learned other than cars you run into Problems. If you know how and what primer you won't have Problems.

Is the stainless ferromagnetic? I operate a traveling billboard, sort of, and wonder if magnetic signs will stick.
Probably not. Most stainless steel variants are not ferromagnetic.

dmccorkle33

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 Jeep TJ, 2014 Chevy Volt, 2014 GMC Yukon XL
Country flag
Anyone know if they will make it so you can pull adjacent to chargers and charge? It will be difficult with a horse trailer to charge on a longer trip.
Short answer - It will be good only for short distances.

Here is a good YouTube video on the challenges of towing with any electric vehicle

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
231.7” Length, 78.9” H, 75.8”W
These numbers were briefly on the screen during unveiling.

89297C2A-0AE1-4173-84D9-8F6339890443.jpeg

LOL whoever wrote the numbers in white did it backwards..

Its 79.8" WIDE 75.8" TALL.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Most of the SC stalls are back in only but some of the stations do have a stall or 2 that allow one to pull up along side.

That depends mostly on the trailer but also, of course, on the range of the truck you choose (battery size), the terrain you tow it over and the weather. I generally answer this question by pointing out that a trailer that weighs about the same as the truck is going to require at least as much energy to move as the truck and that, therefore, a trailer of 6,000 to 7,000 pounds is going to cut the towing range to half or less of the range of the vehicle without the trailer. Thus for the 500 mi Trimotor range is going to be, under ideal conditions, less than 250 and with the Dual less than 150. How much less depends on a lot of things that have to do with the trailers aerodynamic properties, its tyres etc.

Keeping in mind that one generally operates over 80% of the battery's SoC range means practical best case range of 80% of those numbers i.e. 200 and 120 mi.

Driving up a 1% grade will add about 240 Wh/mi to the demand so that practical range would be further reduced to about 2*485/(2*485 + 240) = 0.8 times those ranges or 160 and 96 miles respectively, Rain would probably add about the same amount (assuming the trailer has 4 wheels) and result in the same kind of range reduction. Going up a 1% grade in the rain would result in ranges of 133 or 80 miles.

It's pretty clear from this that towing a 14,000 fifth wheel behind even a TriMotor CT isn't going to prove to be an enjoyable experience.
But a smaller trailer such as the light (2700 lb), aerodynamic "green" ones are going to present a much more optimistic picture.

Last edited:

Izithereyet

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, gestating cybertruck
Occupation
Veterinarian
Country flag
Most of the SC stalls are back in only but some of the stations do have a stall or 2 that allow one to pull up along side.

That depends mostly on the trailer but also, of course, on the range of the truck you choose (battery size), the terrain you tow it over and the weather. I generally answer this question by pointing out that a trailer that weighs about the same as the truck is going to require at least as much energy to move as the truck and that, therefore, a trailer of 6,000 to 7,000 pounds is going to cut the towing range to half or less of the range of the vehicle without the trailer. Thus for the 500 mi Trimotor range is going to be, under ideal conditions, less than 250 and with the Dual less than 150. How much less depends on a lot of things that have to do with the trailers aerodynamic properties, its tyres etc.

Keeping in mind that one generally operates over 80% of the battery's SoC range means practical best case range of 80% of those numbers i.e. 200 and 120 mi.

Driving up a 1% grade will add about 240 Wh/mi to the demand so that practical range would be further reduced to about 2*485/(2*485 + 240) = 0.8 times those ranges or 160 and 96 miles respectively, Rain would probably add about the same amount (assuming the trailer has 4 wheels) and result in the same kind of range reduction. Going up a 1% grade in the rain would result in ranges of 133 or 80 miles.

It's pretty clear from this that towing a 14,000 fifth wheel behind even a TriMotor CT isn't going to prove to be an enjoyable experience.
But a smaller trailer such as the light (2700 lb), aerodynamic "green" ones are going to present a much more optimistic picture.
Thank you

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
This is what I have gathered so far: Goodyear Wrangler MT/R With Kevlar 35x12.50 mud-terrain tires. Also, this closeup of the wheel without the aero cover (from the glass test video):

The speed rating on that tire is 99mph.

Homestead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Diesel VW, F350, Prius Prime
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Anyone ready to guess the type of 300 type stainless steel it is made of? I bet that information is available somewhere because it is in their rocket too. There are 5 or 6 common types of stainless in this class of metals. The type used is advertised as 30x with the x being the hidden number. 305? Or 308? Or other? If I weld onto the body I want to use the same metal type.
Sponsored