Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
From this we can only conclude that you have never been to a regular dealership. What goes on in a Tesla shop is nothing like what goes on in a dealership. At least not in my experience.
I've purchased two cars, an RV, and a motorcycle at dealerships in the last five years.

What we don't know, and only you can tell us if you choose to, is which part of the dealer experience is missing for YOU.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The motorcycle dealerships I went to haven't been at all high-pressure-y. There was the one where the sales guy wasn't really helpful or let us see the bike we were looking for, and the loan officer at the other two was nice and pretty matter-of-fact...

But that's probably because they don't really get big kickbacks for loan terms. They have terms, and either you can get them or not. Motorcycle sales is more aspirational than cut-throat.

-Crissa

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I mean.... I thought you can't buy a Tesla at these locations (?). So what are you even disagreeing on?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Well let's see. The last time I went to a dealership the salesman asked me to give him my drivers license as proof that I was sincere when I said I was there to look at cars. The sleaze level went down hill from there. His boss, who looked as if his previous experience was selling feelthy peectures looked around conspriratorially, stealthily pulled a piece of paper from his pocket and told me that if I didn't tell anyone else he could get me this price. I walked out. None of that with Tesla.

The personnel at Tesla stores are, shall we say, drawn from a higher echelon of society. Bright, friendly, intelligent. They aren't there to sell you a car. In fact they don't. They will answer any questions you have and help you buy the car, if you want help, but you buy the car yourself online (using one of their computers if you want). No one comes bursting out of the back office yelling "Hey Ralph if you want to sell that red one you'd better do it quick because I have a guy on the line who wants it real bad!". Nobody tells you he has a special price just for you but he'll get fired if the boss finds out. The price is the price. Take it or leave it. If you decide to take it no one tells you you need to have the car engraved as theft protection or the the pH of the rain in your area is so bad that the paint will be gone by year end if you don't get some special treatment or gets really angry if you tell him you don't want the extended warranty. Nobody tries to push you into financing the purchase for long periods.

It's an entirely different sales model which is considered one of the best things about buying a Tesla. Even if you missed all this there is so much on the net in forums like this one that I am really surprised you aren't aware.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I mean.... I thought you can't buy a Tesla at these locations (?). So what are you even disagreeing on?
You can buy a Tesla anywhere you have internet access. In a Tesla Store, in a Tesla Salon, in a Lucid Salon, whilst sitting on the throne....

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
You can buy a Tesla anywhere you have internet access. In a Tesla Store, in a Tesla Salon, in a Lucid Salon on whilst sitting on the throne.
You know what I meant lol. I swear to God, everyone on this forum is so literal. It's like making any statement requires a geometry proof.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You know what I meant lol. I swear to God, everyone on this forum is so literal. It's like making any statement requires a geometry proof.
Yeah, I don't know if ajdelange deals with Autism Spectrum, but I'll apologize too I can be pretty literal and do have a diagnosis ^-^;

It's taken decades to learn more patterns to try not to be, but... Well. Can't always manage to get everything.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It would be nice if people backed up some of the things they claim.

Last edited:

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
It would be nice if people backed up some of the things they the things they claim.
See, now I'm in a dilemma. Do I actually give you sources in response to an overly literal response, or just assume you can Google it? I'm genuinely curious how to make everyone happy.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No, I don't think that's ever happened to me in a dealership.

But usually I need to make alot of noise to get any attention at all.

-Crissa
well it happened to me when I was in the military stationed in New Orleans....dealer took my keys so he could move car for evaluation.....when I was ready to leave, it took them 2 hr to give them back....I had to grab the sales manger by the neck and threaten to beat the crap out of him if I didn't have my keys in five minutes.......got them in 2 minutes.....they thought buy keeping me without keys they could keep switching sales people with different numbers and finally where me down so that I would just give in and buy the car......I hate buying cars from dealers.....the first Tesla was a wonderful experience......the second in Jan of 2020 was less than wonderful.....

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
See, now I'm in a dilemma. Do I actually give you sources in response to an overly literal response, or just assume you can Google it? I'm genuinely curious how to make everyone happy.
The short answer to
how to make everyone happy
is simply that it's impossible.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
This is why the "dealership experience" had to be explained, because most of us haven't gone through such crap. I can't say they are great, but just not horrible. My Gladiator, which the CT will replace, was done over email. I just had to go sign and leave. Well, I did have to tell the finance idiot "no" on the stupid aftermarket alarm.

For the bike, dealer 1 was somewhat pushy (stereotypical chain with megastores), dealer 2 was super laid back (dude who owns a small dealer outside the city).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
.....the first Tesla was a wonderful experience......the second in Jan of 2020 was less than wonderful.....
You are an especially valuable member here because you are in a position to share your experiences with Tesla with those members who are new. The good and the bad. So what happened?
Sponsored