Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
So help me guess at the rate of production of the Cybertruck. The model Y is 1600 per day at Shanghai. That is from September. If the truck does not need to be painted and the body is formed from steel, how many trucks can roll out of Austin per day?
That is the other big if. I suppose if they slipped to 2023 but had an amazing ramp up 450,000 units could be done in a year. Net result I would get my CT about the same time as the estimate when I ordered in July 2019.

However Elon said production capacity would be closer to 250,000 per year.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The media are owned and controlled by all those who are anti-Tesla, so how many years of false propaganda are (some of you) going to continually receive from the MSM before you stop acting like lemmings or sheep looking back to them again and again?
I think it’s far simpler than that.

Media make money from traffic. “Tesla” drives traffic. Negative headlines drive traffic.

We’re all quite starved for Cybertruck news, particularly a negative one, is almost certain to drive a lot of traffic from both frustrated fans and haters alike.

If it were Ford or Chevy, posting a story like this might cost them in advertising or early access to vehicles. But since Tesla doesn’t advertise with them or provide early access to media for vehicles, it means they don’t have to worry about that angle.

Bkent100

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
It manager
Country flag
Tesla needs to get this finalized and rolled out, there are normal Elon delays we all anticipate, but this is way beyond!!

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
If this happens it is hopefully piggy backed with a reveal of the production ready cybertruck in march as some people are speculating.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla needs to get this finalized and rolled out, there are normal Elon delays we all anticipate, but this is way beyond!!
It’s actually about middle of the pack as far as Tesla delays go. We’re on track for about 9-15 months delay (much more likely 12+).

Model S and Model X both had huge delays. I think 2 years and 18 months respective. Model Y and 3 were on time/ even a little early. Roadster/ Semi are both even more delayed. Model S Plaid was something like 6-9 months delayed and Model S Plaid+ was pushed back so far they cancelled it (likely a victim of the 4680 production issues).

If it’s ”only” delayed 15 months (what this rumor suggests), that would be damned near middle of the pack. Model 3/ Model Y lulled us into a sense of complacency.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I can see why Elon doesn't talk to the media.
<Snip>
SteveJobs responded to Press good or bad with equal silence. It’s clickbait - worse bullshit. Elon’s words “in a month or so” are the only trusted source even with a good dose of salt.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think it’s far simpler than that.

Media make money from traffic. “Tesla” drives traffic. Negative headlines drive traffic.

We’re all quite starved for Cybertruck news, particularly a negative one, is almost certain to drive a lot of traffic from both frustrated fans and haters alike.

If it were Ford or Chevy, posting a story like this might cost them in advertising or early access to vehicles. But since Tesla doesn’t advertise with them or provide early access to media for vehicles, it means they don’t have to worry about that angle.
shhh dont burst his maga bubble

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Here is the bottom line. Every time a competitor debuts a brand new BEV pickup the competitive nature of Mr. Musk kicks in. His baby, the Cybertruck, needs to be the “top dog” in the 1/2 ton pickup truck segment. It must beat the Silverado, Lightning, Hummer, R1T, etc.

He then has another conversation with his lead designers and engineers regarding his desired changes. This contributes to production delays and reservation holders can kick the initial $40k, $50k and $70k MSRP’s out the window.

Tesla Cybertruck Reuters: Tesla delays production of Cybertruck to early 2023 B5A91FBE-5757-4FE2-8F51-186AC19BAC65

Last edited:

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I have a sneaking suspicion that inside the factory there's already a fair amout of people already manufacturing the parts necessary for the CT except for the things that depend on the gigapress. From what I understand the assembly line is modular meaning at a moments notice they can be moved from one location to a better one on short order. Why wouldn't they have already set up assembly lines for seats, wheel hubs assembled with motors, assembled dashes, piles of tonneau assemblies, etc... and piled them up at the ready? They made Model Y bodies prior to Austin being ready, so it would follow.

The optimist in me says that when the 8k gigapress is assembled, calibrated and operational CTs are going to drop QUICKLY.
Sponsored

Last edited: