Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
48k reservations vs Fords 150k plus and over a million Cyber truck. I would be concerned with buying into Rivian's IPO. To me Rivian will be the Tundra of the electric truck world.
They still have a long way to go to be out of the woods. No charging network or widely available service centers yet. Amazon pushing for vans may reduce their resources available for trucks so they may even have trouble delivering that 48K. September is over and they are still buying time to deliver to real people. They are not through production hell yet and it will be years to reach Tesla level maturity but I cross my fingers they do. We need more American companies capable of producing good EVs to succeed.

p.s. I don’t see Rivian coming to truck market like Tundra did. Tundra came to a saturated truck market with more of the same. I see Rivian coming to a toy market (Jeep, Bronco, TRD Pro, …) during shortage with a unique product. There is nothing like R1S out there. I think they will sell whatever they can make in the first year. The question is if they can survive (be profitable) long enough to produce lower price trucks. Then they can have a sustainable demand.

Last edited:

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
This sucks. Wonder how many people will jump to F 150 Lightning due to the wait. I'm sure several.
Sure is frustrating because volume production in 2023 does not mean you and I will get our CTs. Depending on our spot on the waiting list, and where we live, it could be 2024 before we get ours. 2024! I guess I will drive a Rivian while I wait....

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
if they want lower performance they will.
I rode in a Ford Lightning last week at a Ford Ride event. Lower performance? The acceleration was crazy fast. You do not need to go faster than 4 seconds 0-60 in a full size pickup. Combing over the Lightnings they had there for us to check out Ford they did a nice job designing that truck. Great frunk, tons of electric outlets, a really nice, usable truck bed. They will sell everyone they make...especially to buyers that want a full sized pickup that looks like a "normal" pickup.

Jectos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Corporate Compliance Manager
Country flag
This sucks. Wonder how many people will jump to F 150 Lightning due to the wait. I'm sure several.
With Ford's track record of electrical problems, the last thing I would buy from them is an electric vehicle.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
48k reservations vs Fords 150k plus and over a million Cyber truck. I would be concerned with buying into Rivian's IPO. To me Rivian will be the Tundra of the electric truck world.
When Tesla went public everyone was like “WTF Not enough room for another auto maker in the US, been 100 years since someone figured out how to do it!”

Now everyone is like “Rivian for $80b? I’ll take 2 please!”

Rivian has produced ~20 trucks total. If they were as good at manufacturing as they are at PR, they would have 20k out the door already.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Jstoltz54

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
at
lol not with Fords production rate. by 2023 there will still be more Rivians out there than F150.
Rivians, Rivians, hmm … nope no Rivians, Bezos wants his vans first. How’s that again? Lucid, nope no Lucids, I heard Mrs Rawlinson called him inside when the street lights came on. ? Face it, we’re all in this together.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Rivian is having trouble getting them out the door, yes, but they've made more than twenty trucks.

https://insideevs.com/news/517974/rivian-amazon-delivery-vans-coming/

-Crissa
Honestly this just emphasizes how weird their strategy is.

Trying to go from producing 0 vehicles to producing 3 different vehicles, 2 of which are highly configurable. Teslas Model S strategy seems easy by comparison.

I think they are ignoring not just Musk‘s word, but the fairly public struggles Tesla went through scaling up. It strikes me as a great deal of hubris.

Dave Lyon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Occupation
entrepreneur
Country flag
My Bitcoin will buy it by then. So no worries from me. I’ll keep driving my Dodge 3/4 ton diesel till then.
I'll not be selling my bitcoin, EVER. Selling is a taxable event. I might take a loan against it. Loans are not taxable.

Either way, I don't think a CT is gonna handle my trailer, and I'm not sure I can afford the semi. :(

On the bright side, all you guys that are in line behind me will probably move up in line.
The bad news is, I'm somewhere around the 1 million mark. :)

Dave Lyon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Occupation
entrepreneur
Country flag
I totally agree. You lower reservations folks have paid your dues. Definitely time to cash out and use that $100 for a tank of ICE gas.
LOL, I wish I could buy a tank of fuel for $100.
I'm getting about 10 mpg pulling my trailer. :(

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think they are ignoring not just Musk‘s word, but the fairly public struggles Tesla went through scaling up.
Sandy Munro said in one of his videos that Elon failed to hire the right people(experienced in production) in manufacturing and could have avoided some of those problems Tesla had scaling up.

Not sure if Rivian has hired the experienced people needed in production.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Sandy Munro said in one of his videos that Elon failed to hire the right people(experienced in production) in manufacturing and could have avoided some of those problems Tesla had scaling up.

Not sure if Rivian has hired the experienced people needed in production.
Oddly, Musk suggested manufacturing is one of Teslas strengths now. Baptism by fire? I certainly thing some of the things they have done to simplify manufacturing have been inspired since the Model 3.

I think the Cybertrucks design is a direct result of frustrations of the Model 3 launch.

Rivian having Ford as an investors shroud have some help here.
Sponsored