Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
From this we can only conclude that you have never been to a regular dealership. What goes on in a Tesla shop is nothing like what goes on in a dealership. At least not in my experience.
One could also conclude that people have different opinions and definitions of what a dealership is.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It's pretty clear what a dealership is in this context. It is an independent middleman who buys cars from an OEM and sells them to the consumer.

A more reasonable interpretation would be that some dealers are sleazier than others. I have found that to be the case.

One of my favorite tales on this is my colleague who used to work in a dealership. When he needed a new car he walked into a dealership and told the salesman that he had formerly worked as a car salesman, that he knew every trick in the book and this if this sales man tried any of that stuff on him he'd walk out. So the salesman tried some of that stuff on him and he walked out. By the time he got back to his office the phone was ringing and it was the manager from the dealership wanting to know why he had walked out. Bob explained and then asked, why, having been prewarned, they went ahead with the sleaze anyway. Evidently there was a long pause on the other end of the line after which the guy said "Because we sell a lot of cars that way."

Last edited:

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
See, now I'm in a dilemma. Do I actually give you sources in response to an overly literal response, or just assume you can Google it? I'm genuinely curious how to make everyone happy.
Sometimes you have to just give up trying to get your point across even when you feel strongly about something because there is always someone with time to argue. There are two threads here that I have to make it a point not to open and read when they come to the top because I don’t want to get sucked back into the never ending back and forth. It’s mostly fun here but not always lol.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Sometimes you have to just give up trying to get your point across even when you feel strongly about something because there is always someone with time to argue. There are two threads here that I have to make it a point not to open and read when they come to the top because I don’t want to get sucked back into the never ending back and forth. It’s mostly fun here but not always lol.
Also, your your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries. Prove me wrong.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
This is what I have gathered so far: Goodyear Wrangler MT/R With Kevlar 35x12.50 mud-terrain tires. Also, this closeup of the wheel without the aero cover (from the glass test video):
58C6C1A5-B17E-4A62-9148-8351CB5859C5.jpeg
33A3F438-DDC2-4F54-90CE-EC02E614AC08.jpeg
Kevlar? Is that to complement the 9 mm bullet proofings during drive-by getting shot ats?

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
It's pretty clear what a dealership is in this context. It is an independent middleman who buys cars from an OEM and sells them to the consumer.

A more reasonable interpretation would be that some dealers are sleazier than others. I have found that to be the case.

One of my favorite tales on this is my colleague who used to work in a dealership. When he needed a new car he walked into a dealership and told the salesman that he had formerly worked as a car salesman, that he new every trick in the book and this if this sales man tried any of that stuff on him he'd walk out. So the salesman tried some of that stuff on him and he walked out. By the time he got back to his office the phone was ringing and it was the manager from the dealership wanting to know why he had walked out. Bob explained and then asked, why, having been prewarned, they went ahead with the sleaze anyway. Evidently there was a long pause on the other end of the line after which the guy said "Because we sell a lot of cars that way."
Many people say they go to a "Tesla Dealership" even though "technically" they're Tesla stores. But I guess that was already "pretty clear" to you in this context.

m_jorge

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-ordered Cybertruck 3-motor
Occupation
Research
Country flag
Short answer - It will be good only for short distances.

Here is a good YouTube video on the challenges of towing with any electric vehicle

I wonder if Tesla has thought of making a trailer/camper with built in battery storage to offset the loss in range. Even better would be a trailer with an electric motor(controlled by the towing vehicle) to reduce strain on the towing vehicle.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I wonder if Tesla has thought of making a trailer/camper with built in battery storage to offset the loss in range. Even better would be a trailer with an electric motor(controlled by the towing vehicle) to reduce strain on the towing vehicle.
The idea has been bobbing around for a while. I think it’s more a question of how much bandwidth they have and what their priorities are.

There are so many different types of trailers, I don’t see Tesla attacking that market. If they just created and supported a standard for the truck to talk to the trailer about when to brake and when to accelerate it would be a more important first step. Then other people could make the million and one different types of trailers to go along with it.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I don’t think you would want RFTs on a truck. They are really stiff.
And noisy. I removed the run-flats on our BMW convertible and it felt like noise was cut in half. The stock tires on my 3 are crazy noisy on bad pavement, though they are very quiet on perfect pavement. They aren't run flat, but they are the high-mile tires which I think are also stiff.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Why tesla will not give RFT (run flat tire) ???
RFTs are VERY heavy! Hopefully, the newer type of open mesh run-flats will be made, creating a lighter (usable) tire for an electric vehicle. Maybe that’s the one called a “tweel”? And, as mentioned, RFTs are also loud and stiff.

As to the dealership/store discussion, I have found that the old way of going into a dealership to buy a car took hours. There was always the number, circled in red and the trip back to a “sales manager” and the return with a new number, etc. I would expect that the pandemic changed to more of a direct approach, but dealers are still sitting on inventory that they have purchased and need to move. They also might have trade-ins available. For Tesla, the used inventory is online, priced out or you configure what you want. More like buying something on Amazon.

So, yeah! What are those specs? Since the ordering pages have changed, I hope that they will be revamped with much better information a send some of this speculation!
I feel like Elon says they will have an update in a week, then, internally, someone says “we haven’t finished designing the air suspension compressor to fit into the passenger sail storage and the the solar tonneau strips are still cracking on retraction…”
Meanwhile, several thousand other tweets, SpaceX launches and recoveries,a new Boring tunnel contract in Florida happen and the update slid right off the radar!

A “Mars trim package” was the first thing I thought when I saw the Hummer Apollo edition tweaks. That would be cool.
I still hope this will fit into my garage, but I will be okay of it doesn’t.

mggoulet

First Name
Michel Goulet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck with 3 motors
Occupation
retired
Country flag
As we are snowbirds from Québec and going to Fl. twice a year... we do not want to be stuck on highway because of a flat... That is the main reason why we really need RFT... Whatever is the lost of range... and we reserve the 3 motors...with the full self driving... really important as we are elderly...!!!
Sponsored